World's Best Scotch Whiskey

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking maybe we float the idea for LMG v2.0. That would be Let's Meet GAD, in NJ and in addition to the tour of his laboratory, we have a "session" on adult beverages. NJ sort of splits the difference between VA and Mass.

Will there be Bear Baiting? If so, I'm in!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm really enjoying small-batch well distilled sipping gin these days.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Real whisky is never spelled with an "e". My favorite single malt is also UK only AFAIK, but a bargain at £26 at Tesco.

aberlour-10-year-old.jpg

I came home with a few bottles last trip, and still have one.

Yes! My favorite scotch I've had so far was the Aberlour A'bunadh. Trusty standby being Highland Park for sipping and Ballantines for mixing (which I rarely do)

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just quoting one post but hey...

There are a couple of single malts available here at various ages and sometimes the younger one just tastes better to us. So I am not surprised.

A couple of sources, possibly including a visitor to the Talisker Distillery, told me that the decision to export, or not, to the USA has to do with a lot of factors. The expected profit and demand are obvious and whether there is enough product to meet the demand is another. The net effect is that it is the older, "higher end", bottles that get exported.

Well I don't think I told you that, but I have been to the Talisker Distillery. Talisker is near and dear to my heart, because it's the only distillery on the Isle of Skye, which is one of the most beautiful places in the world, and where the seat of my clan is located. The distillery itself is in a beautiful location by the ocean, and you can see by the view across the street.

1094071_10204902458987162_6999771285084828208_o.jpg

10687530_10204902460427198_2695803432534160300_o.jpg

I even got to meet the resident cat, a friendly fellow like most of my tribe. (That's my foot on the right)

10679610_10204902460347196_2114712144147972985_o.jpg

The decision to export the more expensive whiskies from Scotland makes a lot of sense, and is a recipe that Mercedes-Benz also uses with their cars. Over there, Mercedes are not really considered a "luxury car" like they are here, with many relatively inexpensive A Class and B Class models that we can't get here.

I'm thinking maybe we float the idea for LMG v2.0. That would be Let's Meet GAD, in NJ and in addition to the tour of his laboratory, we have a "session" on adult beverages. NJ sort of splits the difference between VA and Mass.

Let's Meet GAD? There's an idea I can get behind! It's been far too long since we've all gotten together. Let's do it!

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
No wonder the English always coveted Scotland.
They have sun!

That trip was a real aberration for Scotland. In 11 days it only rained once, the next to last day we were there. The inner and outer Hebrides (on the windward side of Scotland) are especially rainy. The 2015 trip the sun was out for about 15 minutes. Over three days. As the locals say "You don't come here for the weather".

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
LMG5 == Let's Meet GAD. I love it. Joisey is a good thought for a location anyway! When are we doing it? I just need some floorspace to sleep on as I will NOT be driving after the (extensive) scotch/beer/etc. tasting. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That rip was a real aberration for Scotland. In 11 days it only rained once, the next to last day we were there. The inner and outer Hebrides (on the windward side of Scotland) are especially rainy. The 2015 trip the sun was out for about 15 minutes. Over three days.
's what I thought!
OK now I don't wonder what I'm missin' so much naymore.

As the locals say "You don't come here for the weather".
Right.
redheads-brian-dowling-6.jpg

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
LMG5 == Let's Meet GAD. I love it. Joisey is a good thought for a location anyway! When are we doing it? I just need some floorspace to sleep on as I will NOT be driving after the (extensive) scotch/beer/etc. tasting. :)

Might be an Air BnB opportunity Charlie, the LTG flophouse!

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Yes! My favorite scotch I've had so far was the Aberlour A'bunadh. Trusty standby being Highland Park for sipping and Ballantines for mixing (which I rarely do)

The Aberlour 12 is my go to; I almost always have a bottle at home. My favorite find in Scotland last year was Edradour 10; a very nice highland. It’s the smallest commercial distillery in Scotland, but it is imported to the U.S.

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Might be an Air BnB opportunity Charlie, the LTG flophouse!

It might be more fun if we turn Grot's storage building/locker/bunker into a our bunkhouse for the weekend: By the end of the weekend we can say we've played almost every Guild ever built.

Of course we'll have to be blindfolded or sedated (or both) for the trip to and from.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Being a fan of malted corn products for that same reason, I always had a fond spot for this stuff ever since discovering it many years ago:
bf4e4cefe10ac57d87c4cfa483252fb7.jpg

Probably explains my fondness for Modelo Negro, too.
:friendly_wink:

Hmmm, must give this whiskey a good taste testing!

Modelo Negro is yummy. It gets the stamp of approval too from my English/Scots cousins.

-Dave-