Your favorite picture(s) of an artist playing a Guild?

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
With Starfire V or VI maybe?
The colored picture above shows him with a very early Starfire V with the Kolb tuners with diamond shaped Gilbert Diaz buttons as it looks.

A SF VI would have had the G shield headstock.
And that's what you see in this picture from Leslie West, so he also played a Starfire VI:

Live_leslie.jpg

Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
@Zelko: But you discovered a picture that wasn't posted before! And I just posted another one as response that I also can't remember it was posted before, so all is good!

The Vagrants did cool music, here is a 1964 video (before Leslie West played the Guild Starfires): http://youtu.be/4OvNPhrr33Y

Ralf

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
Oh no problems Ralf mate, but my brain was a bit foggy so I reprimanded myself!

I love me some 60s garage rock -The Seeds, The Standells etc . I've never played to a bunch of dancing bikini clad girls - just born in the wrong era I guess.:dispirited::sad:

Reaction score
I can't find a picture of the ad but there used to be an advertisement for the X-170 Manhattan featuring Taj Mahal. I have one framed in my music room.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I love me some 60s garage rock -The Seeds, The Standells etc . I've never played to a bunch of dancing bikini clad girls - just born in the wrong era I guess.:dispirited::sad:
No worries, they only wore the bikinis in movies and TV shows.

Zelja

Reaction score
No worries, they only wore the bikinis in movies and TV shows.
No! Say it ain't so Joe, I mean Al!

Another bubble burst, another dream spat into oblivion like a watermelon seed from my Uncle Igor's mouth. Disheartening.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tim Buckley and his Guild F-212XL at the Newport Folk Festival, Newport, Rhode Island, 1968:
(see also Hans' book page 133)

pic13.jpg

Photo by Elliott Landy

Ralf

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This cool picture was posted by Guild on the Facebook page today and I thought it fits very well here.
It shows "The Caravelles" from UK (Lois Wilkinson and Andrea Simpson) with a 1960 (my best guess) Starfire II guitar (Mahogany body and DeArmond pickups).
They named themselves after the French airplane (the world's first short/medium-range jet airliner).

arav1.gif
arav5.gif

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Last edited:

jthrel

Reaction score
Justin Hayward's Guilds

High quality pics of Justin Hayward's Guild guitars -
Taken at The Moody Blues appearance in the Pinewood Bowl Amphitheater in Lincoln Nebraska on August 25, 2014.

JustinGuildBlackcrop_zps1e361e7e.jpg
JustinGuild12crop_zps77c1c7ea.jpg

And a shot of the Moodie's guitar library backstage
MoodiesGuitarscrop_zpse34daed2.jpg

Al

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
High quality pics of Justin Hayward's Guild guitars - Taken at The Moody Blues appearance in the Pinewood Bowl Amphitheater in Lincoln Nebraska on August 25, 2014.
Great shots Al!
Somebody wants to identify the two jumbos? Both have a Guild/Fishman transducer built in as it looks, both have maple back and sides, so the black might be a JF-30E and the blond a JF-30-12E ? Both early 90's?
Ralf

jthrel

Reaction score
Great shots Al!
Somebody wants to identify the two jumbos? Both have a Guild/Fishman transducer built in as it looks, both have maple back and sides, so the black might be a JF-30E and the blond a JF-30-12E ? Both early 90's?
Ralf

Yes, they both look like JF-30's. Justin has a brief history of these two guitars on his website which implies they were purchased in the '80s.

http://justinhaywardguitar.com/the-black-guild-no-1/

and

http://justinhaywardguitar.com/justin-hayward-guild-12-string/

The extensive weather checking visible on the lower bout of the blonde 12-er matches his story of the guitar's history. This is his preferred guitar for performing "Question".

JustinGuild12weatherchecking_zpsb26d8d23.jpg

Al

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The "checking" on Justin's guitar looks more like "scrape marks" from his watch...

walrus

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was watching the "History of Metal" the other night and they showed a video of Mick Mars from Motley Crue playing his Guild X-88 "Crue Flying Star" guitar. That's the first time I had seen that video.

Here's a screen capture;

MickMars_zps03fe0bba.jpg

Last edited: