Does anyone else think Oxnard Guild's are Over Priced?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Doesn't it seem to you that this is saying: "You're looking at this all wrong, price doesn't matter... all that matters is the sound."

With apologies to Matthew who recorded the following, which was not about Guilds

When he found one of great value, he went away and sold everything he had and bought it

If you can apply that to guitars then it boils down to sometimes price does not matter.

I think there is some discussion at cross purposes here - specifically using value and affordability as if they are the same for everyone. Similarly market value and value to an individual are being confused.

If I buy something then its value to me, the individual, is greater than or equal to what I paid.

If something is of great value to me then I will do whatever I can to acquire it. Sell everything else, get a second job, indenture myself to the seller, etc.

This is the kind of thinking behind some of the comments.

If, as an alternative, a guitar is a tool or commodity then, almost be definition, it will never be "of great value" in the sense above. In that case affordability and bang for the buck are the important concepts.

Finally there is the personality factor - some folks are going to find the One Guitar, buy it and be happy with it for the rest of their life. Others are going to find The Guitar, buy it and 12 months later be looking for the next one.

PittPastor

Reaction score
With apologies to Matthew who recorded the following, which was not about Guilds. If you can apply that to guitars then it boils down to sometimes price does not matter.

Well, Matthew was quoting someone else... and what they were talking about I get. I can't see it with guitars.

If others can, that's cool. I'm not saying everyone has to think like I do. I'm just saying in my world, guitars aren't anywhere near that. All I said at the beginning of this thread -- until now -- is I think the pricing of new Guilds are too high. If others want to buy them, it won't bother me any.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Now I'll stop because chazmo said for us to move on, and he summed up the tone of the thread nicely. So I'm moving on, because at this particular point in my life, that's all I can afford to do. :encouragement:

Could we review why CA won't let Oxnard spray NCL first?
:tongue-new:

kostask

Reaction score
Could we review why CA won't let Oxnard spray NCL first?
:tongue-new:

Because of air pollution laws that don't permit the emission of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs). While it may seem related, it isn't about greenhouse gasses/climate change/global warming/whatever it is being called now. It actually predates all of that, and it has to do with smog prevention. NCL's solvents are VOCs, as NCL won't dissolve in anything else. There are variations on NCL in terms of solvents, but they all emit VOCs of one type or another. From what I understand, you can get a permit to spray NCL, it does take some effort to make sure that the VOCs are captured and not released into the atmosphere. As soon as you can prove that, you can get a permit. This is my understanding, but I could be wrong on some of this.

There is a follow on effect, in that the supply of NCL is being reduced (due to low demand). There used to be multiple suppliers of NCL, but one of the last two (Behlens and McFadden) is no longer available.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Because of air pollution laws that don't permit the emission of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs).
Kostas it was a deadpan joke because I just had to refute that myth again this morning (that Oxnard can't spray NCL)

While it may seem related, it isn't about greenhouse gasses/climate change/global warming/whatever it is being called now. It actually predates all of that, and it has to do with smog prevention.
Bingo yes indeed VOCs reacted with UV and nitrous oxides to form photochemical smog, also known as "brown smog".
Of particular concern was the effect on blond California Girls who went from "February White" directly to "sunburn" without exhibiting any any of the aesthetically desirable shades of "tan" in between.
NCL's solvents are VOCs, as NCL won't dissolve in anything else. There are variations on NCL in terms of solvents, but they all emit VOCs of one type or another. From what I understand, you can get a permit to spray NCL, it does take some effort to make sure that the VOCs are captured and not released into the atmosphere. As soon as you can prove that, you can get a permit. This is my understanding, but I could be wrong on some of this.
That's my understanding too, the "broad strokes" at least.
I think your facility needs to be inspected as part of the certification process and that may take a little time.
But hey last time I needed a code inspection they only needed to come out 3 different times over the course of a month before they figured out the water heater in my apartment building wasn't up to spec.
(Sorry there's that deadpan delivery again)

There is a follow on effect, in that the supply of NCL is being reduced (due to low demand). There used to be multiple suppliers of NCL, but one of the last two (Behlens and McFadden) is no longer available.
Oh that's a new one to me but I suspect if a customer was willing to contract the appropriate volume they could still mix up a batch.
But could understand if they don't make it for production because CA outlawed retail sale of traditional aerosol cans of the stuff on top of the use-in-manufacturing restrictions.

You're trouble today, AL!!! REAL trouble!!! :devilish:
NO worries.
As usual, somebody else (Kostas) had my back.
(Ducks and covers)
:glee:

Last edited:

shot put

Reaction score
Very overpriced-Guilds used to be a poor man's Martin-no more!!

kostask

Reaction score
Al,

Sorry I did no detect the facetiousness of your question.

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Played a brand new Ox D40 today... was knocked OUT!

LOUD and PROUD, crisp and clear...holy smokes.
And felt lighter than I expected it would.
Tried some other guitars higher and lower... the D40 simply stood out!
$1499 price tag, well worth what I was hearing.

I think this Ox D40 might've just blown my NH D40 outta the water, which
I was not expecting at all.

Also tried an M20... liked it better than similar Martin on the wall that was 2X the price.
Not expecting that either.

But... the D20 I tried (for the second time in a month) was a bit of a disappointment.
I'm used to playing Westerly D25s, so probably not a fair sonic comparison,
but it seemed kinda quiet, very little of the feral sonic persona of a good vintage
Westerly spruce-top D25, not even as interesting as the all-hog D15 I just sold.

But that D40... wow.

I'd buy it.

Maybe I will.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I think this Ox D40 might've just blown my NH D40 outta the water, which
I was not expecting at all.

Also tried an M20... liked it better than similar Martin on the wall that was 2X the price.
Not expecting that either.

But... the D20 I tried (for the second time in a month) was a bit of a disappointment.
I'm used to playing Westerly D25s, so probably not a fair sonic comparison,
but it seemed kinda quiet, very little of the feral sonic persona of a good vintage
Westerly spruce-top D25, not even as interesting as the all-hog D15 I just sold.

But that D40... wow.

I'd buy it.

Maybe I will.

May the D40 be the norm and not the rarity .

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
May the D40 be the norm and not the rarity .

Ray, all I got to say is...

Screen-Shot-2015-09-09-at-10.30.34-AM-tmz28i.png

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al,

Sorry I did no detect the facetiousness of your question.

NO worries, "deadpan" 's hard to pull off, especially in writing.....:biggrin-new:

Of course, I gotta ask, was this the satin finish or one of the "Vintage" models (that have high-gloss NCL finish)?
Going by price I'm guessing it's the "base" model.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al -

Believe the D40 was a gloss finish, but not 100% sure now.
Whatever it was, it looked good,
as did the rest of the instrument. I'd been playing my NH D40 before
leaving for work, about 5 hours before I played the Ox D40.
Next time might bring the NH with me to the store and do
a full-on throw-down side-by-side comparison.

Among other guitars I spent some time with today was one recently
discussed here, a new Martin Streetmaster.
It and the Guild D20 were pretty similar and to my ears about equally
ho-hum - if I had to choose, probably would go with the D20 just 'cause I'm a Guild guy.
Same price, $1399. The faux-aged / worn finish on the Martin is interesting up close,
but not as sexy to my eyes as the Guild.

d20_burst_front.jpg

d-15m-streetmaster_f_new.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al -

Believe the D40 was a gloss finish, but not 100% sure now.
I understand, I'm getting that way meself now.
Among other guitars I spent some time with today was one recently
discussed here, a new Martin Streetmaster.
"Streetmaster"?!?!?
What, it wants to be a muffler when it grows up?

It and the Guild D20 were pretty similar and to my ears about equally
ho-hum - if I had to choose, probably would go with the D20 just 'cause I'm a Guild guy.
Same price, $1399. The faux-aged / worn finish on the Martin is interesting up close,
Stratabond neck?

but not as sexy to my eyes as the Guild.

Yeah no contest and I'm not even a big 'burst fan.
WTH are they thinking with these pre-aged finishes?
Movie props?
Reminds me of stone-washed/pre-ripped jeans.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I played a D-40 Oxnard the other day at the Tone Shop in Addison, TX. There were 2. One more stripped down and the nicer more expensive glossy finish. Both sounded great and were super light. I think they are priced well.. Well above my budget... The more stripped down D40's and D20's are really not much to look at. Not a fan of the ivory tuners and the matted black finish on the headstocks..

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
D30man, agree re ivory tuners and low gloss on the headstocks... not
nearly as rich as what we're used to seeing on vintage Guilds. Glad you
had a chance to check 'em out!

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al... I mentioned this before in another thread I think.
That faux aged look on the Martin is kinda cool, it's not unattractive,
but it soon has me thinking of all the crappy "aged" looking
furniture and needless home accessories you'll find at Pier One, World Market, various furniture stores.
Not a good association, LOL.
And you're right, "Streetmaster" sounds like it was named after a muffler or some big ol' two-
wheeled cruiser!

Last edited:

AZLiberty

Reaction score
Stratabond neck?

Yeah no contest and I'm not even a big 'burst fan.
WTH are they thinking with these pre-aged finishes?

I detest distressed or "aged" finishes. The -15 series is made in the US and has a solid neck though. Could be either Spanish Cedar or some type of Mahogany.