New saddle

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi hd: my man Scott Gierman at Elderly Instruments made one for my DV-52; he honed it right in to my instrument, perfect intonation and action. Too touchy for me to mess around with. I play 'em, they work on 'em.

Have you tried Stew Mac? They have lots of blanks. Have you thought about using a Tusq saddle? Of course bone would be more original.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hi,
Hope someone can help, I'm looking for a new saddle for a 1969 F-30 . Been looking online but haven't find anything yet.

Thanks

A '69 F30 would have had a micarta saddle.
Just in case you're looking to replicate and not actually upgrade.
Guild didn't actually use bone until Tacoma era, '05.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A '69 F30 would have had a micarta saddle.
Just in case you're looking to replicate and not actually upgrade.
Guild didn't actually use bone until Tacoma era, '05.

yeah, i figure my nut and saddle are micarta, 1971 and all. they have shaded to a nice cigarette color and maybe i should consider bone saddle at least. i just never sure if it makes that big of a difference...

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
yeah, i figure my nut and saddle are micarta, 1971 and all. they have shaded to a nice cigarette color and maybe i should consider bone saddle at least. i just never sure if it makes that big of a difference...

When I had it done to my D25 it was noticable to my relatively unsophisticated ear at the time.
"Big" is relative and not sure I'd call it a "big" difference, but for sure noticable.
Note I had the nut done too, and that's relevant to unfretted strings, and I play a lot of open chords and open strings in scales, or just use the A and E for bass notes a lot.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Any half decent luthier can make you a better bone saddle easily.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You'd be surprised where some luthiers set up shop.
I know, although I was wondering if there was enough population to even support a guy up there..assuming he wasn't retired and just doing it for "fun".
FT Bragg's most likely place up there and for all we know HDrider might actually live right there.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I know, although I was wondering if there was enough population to even support a guy up there..assuming he wasn't retired and just doing it for "fun".
FT Bragg's most likely place up there and for all we know HDrider might actually live right there.
Sometimes builders (rather than just repairmen) will be tucked away.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sometimes builders (rather than just repairmen) will be tucked away.
It'd definitely be a beautiful place to live and work.
Right on top of prime lumbering territory, too, now that I think about it.
But sadly the industry's been battered and not the major employer it used to be.
Was also battered by a different kind of agriculture for many years that aggravated the gap between under-employed homeowners and sudden millionaires that caused insanely inflated real estate values.
Mendocino's part of California's "Emerald Triangle".
So that was another reason I wondered whether or not a luthier could actually make a living in the area.
It's in a vicious circle of population decline as a result of those insane housing prices.
At least, as of a couple of years ago.