Fixit

Reaction score
Hello,

New member here, actually joined a few weeks ago and just getting around to introducing myself. I have had the pleasure of starting to get to know a few members, hi Dave, Bluespicky and Capnjuan. I had a great time at the Vintage Guitar show a few weeks ago, and wanted to adopt all of the homeless Guilds I saw. P.S. loved the video with the Firebird. Also I am a luthier and a big Guild fan. I have had the rare pleasure to have worked for Guild in Westerly in 1978 and part of 1979, and yes it was fun! Anyway hello, and feel free to ask any questions
and maybe I can help out with some of your guitar problems.

Have a great day, and keep on pickin.

learnintoplay62

Reaction score
Welcome aboard. Looks like you will bring some great stories along as well. Are you currently building anything? Got any pics and did you get an option to hand pick or special picks from the factory.

Brad Little

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. I think there's at least one other Westerly alum on here, but not sure.
Brad

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
fixit,

Welcome to LTG.

Curious what role you had working in Westerly...

Following up on Brad... there are at least two Westerly employees (hideglue and workedinwesterly) who hang with us occasionally. We've also occasionally had some management folks, including Jerre Haskew, pop in.

Best wishes. and again welcome.

evenkeel

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Wish I could have said howdy when I was at the Orlando show.

Nice to see a bunch of new folks joining the gang.

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome, Fixit. Good to have you here!
You come with some pretty heady credentials so you'll certainly fit in, and we just might need your input on a bit of Guild history here and there. :wink:

Stay in tune,
Joe

capnjuan

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Hi Tom and welcome to LTG; it was a pleasure to meet you and Buck at the show.

For the LTG broz here, Tom means it when he says 'fixit'; the D50 in his siggie is an absolute showpiece of repair craftsmanship.

When you get a chance, pictures please. J

idealassets

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG. I have always dreamed of having one of those "good jobs", such as working for Guild.

If it is a long flight, is it worth it to attend the next Orlando vintage show? For example were there any really noteable Guild or Martin acoustic guitars on hand to view or buy?

Also are there any other vintage shows coming up that are worth attending?

Thanks,
Craig

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the asylum! Hope to hear lots of Westerly stories.
Dave

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello again Tom! And an official and public welcome to LTG....
And to add to Capnjuan's praise of Tom's repair craftsmanship, let me tell you that I had actually gone to buy that D50 a few months back, and backed out of it when I saw the extent of the work needed, starting with a neck reset. When Tom pulled it out of the case in Orlando and let me pick a few notes on it, I was simply speechless.
It brilliantly epitomizes one of our favorite slogans: "Saving the Guilds!"
Awesome work Tom... Till our next meet!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'll chime in here a bit! Tom built my custom telecaster last year, and has worked on several of my guitars. After watching the restoration of the D-50 (which I shamelessly covet) that Bluesy mentioned above, I have no hesitation in trusting him with my instruments. He's got my F-212 on his bench as I write this.

Dave :D

Fixit

Reaction score
idealassets said:
Welcome to LTG. I have always dreamed of having one of those "good jobs", such as working for Guild.

If it is a long flight, is it worth it to attend the next Orlando vintage show? For example were there any really noteable Guild or Martin acoustic guitars on hand to view or buy?

Also are there any other vintage shows coming up that are worth attending?

Thanks,
Craig

Checkout the show in Arlington, TX in October it's the biggest.

Fixit

Reaction score
learnintoplay62 said:
Welcome aboard. Looks like you will bring some great stories along as well. Are you currently building anything? Got any pics and did you get an option to hand pick or special picks from the factory.

I am not currently working on anything new, the last one was for dapmdave that he spoke of in his post. I will be posting some pictures from time to time. I did not get the chance to hand pick a guitar, but Guild did offer employees the chance to purchase a guitar at wholesale I believe.

Fixit

Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome, and a special thanks to dapmdave, bluesypicky and capnjuan for the cudos on the D-50.

One Westerly story, for now anyway. I had the job of cutting out necks on a band saw for a while. This would be the rough cutting prior to shaping, and occasionally one of the foremen would stop me and use my band saw to hack to pieces! a guitar that just wasn't up to Guild standards. Being a young man at the time, who wanted a Guild guitar so bad I could taste it, but couldn't afford one. I would spend the rest of the day looking at those pieces in the trash bin wondering if there was any way to put it back together. You can imagin how traumatic this must have been. Today I'm glad they did that, it speaks well of Guilds commitment to quality and we all get to enjoy some pretty amazing guitars because of it.

Thank again, and am looking forward to talking to all of you.