Another heretic NGD!!!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Certainly Dave, especially when they're made by fellow members. That's a thinline Fixitcaster, right?

Nope. Brand new G&L ASAT Custom Bluesboy. P-90 in the neck and semi-hollow. Only one of it's kind, for now. And the photo doesn't come close to doing it justice.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow... as if the case lining wasn't enough!! Mary had a little lamb, whose fleece......

Awesome sounds and guitar, P. Thanks for sharing!!
T

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
@Pascal: Excellent playing again! Congratulations on the new LP! Now as you can compare the 2001 Bluesbird to it, how do the two compare, if at all? I mean the LP sounds excellent in your video!

The inside body picture of that LP looks interesting:

modern-weight-relief.jpg

Ralf

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
@Pascal: Excellent playing again! Congratulations on the new LP! Now as you can compare the 2001 Bluesbird to it, how do the two compare, if at all? I mean the LP sounds excellent in your video!

Thanks Ralf.
The feel is very comparable to the B-bird, with not as chunky a neck.
The weight seems the same to me at around 9 pounds (not sure what the B-bird weights at?)
Obviously the major difference is the sound, and that difference will vary depending upon pick ups appointments that vary across the different models, and which brings me to the two main reasons I wanted a "Standard": Chambered body and Burst Buckers.
I'm sure you heard references before about the "beefy" Les Paul sound, or the "fat" Gibson sound as it is also sometimes referred to, well it's no cliché.
It's "beefy". Much beefier than the B-bird, and maybe the best feature of these pup's is their "articulation" (to borrow a term put forth by Gad in another conversation). Not only can you clearly hear every string from a chord, but whether you play a G on low E string, or a D on the 22nd fret of the high E string, you will hear them at equal levels.
The "bite" that thing has, is the reason why it makes so many players love it, and lead guitarists love the fast fingerboard.
Another feature that isn't offered on the B-bird stock, is the coil splitting, phase reversal with the push pull knobs, that bring more coloring options and that I will explore next on a more bluesy setting with the help of a vintage Fender amp to get closer to the "Mike Bloomfield" vibe....

The closest I've got to this "bite" was with Coastie's B-bird (equipped with an after market SD2 IIRC) that was much hotter than the stock SD1, but still not as punchy as the BB pros.

It's been a long time coming for me, and I'm extremely happy that it's here. :)

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't know...I think we'd have to hear something from "Beano," or A Hard Road or perhaps Still Got The Blues For You to be convinced...what say, Bruno?

Can that thing do surf? Probably can do Motown...

; )

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I don't know...I think we'd have to hear something from "Beano," ...what say, Bruno?

Since you mention it Bill, (and "Beano" being an integral part of my subconscious), I was thinking about doing a take on "Hideaway" one of these days...

Of course, I wouldn't dare do anything without Bruno's approval. :black_eyed:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, bluesy! I love LP's, you make this one sing!

walrus

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Beautiful guitar, bluesy! I love LP's, you make this one sing! walrus

Thanks Waly! Patience paid off I must say. I scored the right one, in my favorite finish....
I wouldn't mind a Gold Top with the P90's, but it's gonna have to wait. lol

Happy camper here.

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
The idea of this thread puzzles me... I guess we, Al and me, are alone in this endeavour. But don't worry Pascal: we will do our best for you! :peaceful:

(...) or perhaps Still Got The Blues For You to be convinced...what say, Bruno?

Pretty good suggestion, Bill! :eagerness:

I was thinking about doing a take on "Hideaway" one of these days...

On a G----n ES335 ala Freddie King? :friendly_wink:

bluesypicky said:
Of course, I wouldn't dare do anything without Bruno's approval. :black_eyed:

You have green light to go for Bill's suggestion. Meanwhile, your idea is subject to the review of the committee: a highly serious and skilled board of experts of all sorts, whose identities I can't reveal. :anonymous:

A hug, gents!
All the best,
B.

P.S. What the heck is "Beano"? I googled it and I got a lot of results...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Another question - I forgot to ask - what year is the LP?

walrus

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
P.S. What the heck is "Beano"? I googled it and I got a lot of results...
On the cover of the John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers album from 1966 featuring Eric Clapton, Clapton is reading a cartoon magazine entitled "Beano". The album became known as the Beano album, and the LP that Clapton used on it became known as the Beano LP.
(And the Marshal 2X12 36w combo that he used is known as the Marshall Bluesbreaker.)

Bluesbreakers_John_Mayall_with_Eric_Clapton.jpg

Last edited:

SouthernSounds

Reaction score
On the cover of the John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers album from 1966 featuring Eric Clapton, Clapton is reading a cartoon magazine entitled "Beano". The album became known as the Beano album, and the LP that Clapton used on it became known as the Beano LP.
(And the Marshal 2X12 36w combo that he used is known as the Marshall Bluesbreaker.)

Thanks, Chris!

No way I could have figured it out by myself. I saw some results related with the comic, but I highly doubt I would have been able to make the connection with the album's cover. I've never been a big Mayall/Bluesbreakers fans...

All the best,
B.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fun fact about "Beano": The band was sitting in the cold, waiting for the photographer to come shoot the album cover, and Clapton who was going through the "spoiled star" syndrome early on, went to sit down and started reading the "Beano" while bitching about the wait.
They decided on a whim to keep the pause they had, with Clapton reading the comic book, and that's the shot that made the cover.

Another mention about "Beano" (and imo): It is the single best electric guitar playing performance by E.C. to this day.
The sound he hit on this LP is out of this world, and he says (in his autobiography), that the funny thing about it, is this album was recorded in a couple of days without really spending any time on the sound research, which according to him is what gives it this kinda "club live recording" feel.
My all time favorite of all the Bluesbreakers collection.