'97 x-170

Status
Not open for further replies.

alw

Reaction score
Offering for sale, or will entertain trade offers that include a Newark Street X-175B, or Epiphone ES-295.

The serial number falls in the 1997-1999 range, per chart on the Guild site. Since it's only five numbers in, I assume '97 as correct date.

I'd say in very good to excellent condition. When I received the guitar someone previously had apparently done a fret level, that left the frets very low. I took the guitar to a tech I'd used before for a refret. I had to retrieve, after months, and his half done, botched attempt. Rob Brown of Axis Guitars in Oakland California came to the rescue, leveled the fretboard, did a refret with 6105 wire, precision level, and new bone nut. The only remnant of the first attempt is a few small nicks in the fretboard binding, which I'd forget where there, and can't get to show in pictures.

Nut width is 1 5/8". Setup with 11-46 strings with plain G. The action @ the 12th is 4/64 on bass side, with bridge bottomed, just a bit over 3/64 on treble side, with a little adjustment left.

Having an aversion to gold hardware, I had the original etched tailpiece ground smooth and plated in nickel. I buffed the rest of the hardware and pickups back to the nickel.

With so much time and money invested, I've been reluctant to let go of the guitar. I love how it sounds and plays, but have grown more comfortable with wider necks.

$1150.00 shipped in ConUS, with original case.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh man ! That's an eyefull.

If not for the SF VI I have, which covers the humbucker sound, we might be talking right now !

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh man ! That's an eyefull.

If not for the SF VI I have, which covers the humbucker sound, we might be talking right now !

If it helps any, Starfire IVs (your post says VI but your sig says IV) and an X170s are rather different animals.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
It's a IV. I should fix my roman typo.

But if I send him my NS X-175B and what ever would be needed to make the deal, I wouldn't have a single coil Guild to play. I'm sure the X170 is a full hollow body and sounds pretty darn good. It looks good just sitting there.

Stop being an enabler, sir !

dbirchett

Reaction score
The X170 is hollow but has a tone post under the bridge connecting the top and back of the guitar. Just buy the guitar outright, then you can keep both.

Neal

Reaction score
Don is correct. The soundpost makes the late-Westerly X-170 a bit lifeless acoustically, but plug it in, and it is a different story.

The OP says his X-170 has a 1 5/8" nut. My recently-departed '98 was 1 11/16". Were they made in different widths?

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don is correct. The soundpost makes the late-Westerly X-170 a bit lifeless acoustically, but plug it in, and it is a different story.

The OP says his X-170 has a 1 5/8" nut. My recently-departed '98 was 1 11/16". Were they made in different widths?

Yes. My '94 has 1 5/8" board at the nut. I'd love to know exactly when they changed. I thought it was '94 and I was clearly wrong. I have a feeling it may have been different times for different models. Plus (no reflection on the OP), I see a lot of ads with wrong information. I think a lot of people just grab specs from sites like WesterlyGuildGuitars.com since there are few online sources with specs and people don't realize that they're different for different eras of production.

alw

Reaction score
FYI guys, I do know the specs say 1 11/16". I used calipers to determine that this guitar does in fact measure 1 5/8". I've seen different listing for X-170's with both.

alw

Reaction score
I've come to my senses, no longer for sale. Not sure if, or how, to delete thread.

Last edited:

dbirchett

Reaction score
I think it is a wise move to keep it.

Just leave the thread. It's not bothering anyone.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The ModMan will be along and will lock it when he sees.

Status
Not open for further replies.