NAMM 2019: Fender American Acoustasonic Telecaster

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I note that the similar Carvin noted above was a Craig Chaquico model. Is he famous enough to make the point? I note his involvement with Jefferson Starship, Starship and a couple Slick/Kantner projects but is that enough?

Craig Chaquico was a Carvin endorser back in the '80s when people knew who he was.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I want to try this out. The sound of an Acoustic, the play-ability of an Electric. Yeah, count me in.

Oh, you mean a Taylor? :eagerness:

To the forum at large: As Craig Ferguson used to say, I look forward to your angry letters.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
2K?!? No way. You can get a really, really nice guitar for that, acoustic or electric. No way I'd spend that on a piezo/modelling monstrosity that is neither.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

To the forum at large: As Craig Ferguson used to say, I look forward to your angry letters.
Hey, theAcoustasonic Tele is as big a breakthrough as the PRS Silver Sky!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
. . . .

The guitar comes with a 20h USB rechargable 9V Lithium Ion Battery and a red LED there that starts flashing before the battery is empty.

bdc42f-asdfasdf.jpg

Ralf

Hello

If that little hole between the output jack and USB connector is where the LED is - well then it is of no use - everybody else + their cousins can see it before player, who will loose juice right when he 's at his best - - or something.

Still interesting concept - hope they have made it better than Line6 w Variax

PittPastor

Reaction score
Hello

If that little hole between the output jack and USB connector is where the LED is - well then it is of no use - everybody else + their cousins can see it before player, who will loose juice right when he 's at his best - - or something.

The nice thing about the usb plug is you can stick a battery on your guitar strap, and play it for hours with no worries.

61Xr%2B5pcOBL._SX425_.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Hey, theAcoustasonic Tele is as big a breakthrough as the PRS Silver Sky!

I know you guys are joking around, but seriously one wonders what it would be be like if Guild had (in the past or currently) come out with new models like Taylor and PRS have, and sold/sell as many guitars as they do. PRS can't keep up with the demand for the Silver Sky. It would be cool if Guild had that problem!

walrus

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's a double-edged sword, Walrus. The USA production in New Hartford was in some sense marred by their inability to provide sufficient volume to supply Guitar Center. I.e., had they been able to do that (like Martin), history might've been quite different.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Unless I missed something you are not going to reach this instrument's full potential without an amp, so it is never going to compete in some niches.

My limited experience with "digital modeling" has been somewhat "meh". It may be that my lack of familiarity with the specific original being modeled may be a factor but in a couple of cases where I could A/B I managed to convince myself that I could tell the difference and preferred the original.

I do think it is pretty cool and I hope it succeeds but I feel like I am reading about an adjustable wrench that will automatically adjust and lock to any nut (metric or English!!!) when I am still just going to use a socket set.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Unless I missed something you are not going to reach this instrument's full potential without an amp, so it is never going to compete in some niches.

My limited experience with "digital modeling" has been somewhat "meh". It may be that my lack of familiarity with the specific original being modeled may be a factor but in a couple of cases where I could A/B I managed to convince myself that I could tell the difference and preferred the original.

I do think it is pretty cool and I hope it succeeds but I feel like I am reading about an adjustable wrench that will automatically adjust and lock to any nut (metric or English!!!) when I am still just going to use a socket set.

Right! I like the "innovativeness" of the guitar, and kudos to Fender for that, but it seems to be a solution looking for a problem...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

Modeling has come a log way in the last 10 years. Hell almost that long ago I played in front of 100 or so people in a large High School auditorium with this little Vox modeling amp and it kicked *** (sigh):

_B0Z0541-CropNN-800.jpg

Today I have this and it continues to blow my mind:

axe-fx-iii-1920-front-white.jpg

I was a hard-core tube amp snob in the past and loved my '63 Bassman, but I sold it after getting my first AxeFX. You might be surprised how many big name touring acts are using the AxeFX or Kemper modelers.

Artists using Axe-FX: https://www.fractalaudio.com/artists/
Artists using Kemper: https://www.kemper-amps.com/hall-of-fame

I recently saw Slash in concert and the opening act had only Kempers.

Also, when considering modelers, the best advice I can give is not to "see if you can tell the difference", because you will. That has more to do with what is generally called the "amp in the room" effect. Traditional tube amps move air in a way that's satisfying and to get the tones we like, they generally need to be ridiculously loud and they move your pant legs and it's AWESOME! Modelers don't really do that and (by design) and the psychology of that will have almost anyone pick the tube amp every time. In fact, some people route their modelers through guitar cabinets to get that feeling back.

The audience doesn't care about any of that.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

I put my spoon into soup once again. Even though it happened, that first Variax had Guild F212 modelled - and I happen to have one F212 ( with cutaway - does it make ALL the difference . . .) - I naturally immediately noticed, that it was not even close - but I was very impressed of the concept. Especially if you do an occasional gig in a pub or other small venue where the danger lurks, that something comes sailing thru the air ( i.e. William Zanzingers cane . . .) and hits the top of my Guild - destruction - but if it is Variax, then most likely a ding.

So in that view I'm all for it - but like I wrote, I tried two newer Variaxes few weeks ago - and the aftertaste was kinda NAH . . . Nice instruments to play, good quality in mechanics and finishes, but after leaving the house I did not get the feeling, that I should try to get either of them.

But I'm hoping that someone someday somewhere reaches the point - considering my age, I'll most likely am done by then. But it would be great for younger generations.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The Acoustasonic is a performance instrument, meant to be played through an amp or into a PA system via mixing console. You could also record direct with it if that's your thing. From the clips I've heard its unplugged sound is a lot like a Danelectro's: pleasing tone, louder than a solidbody electric, light on bass. (I often noodle around unplugged on my Dano 1457 while watching TV.) I wouldn't get one for general use unless you're living in an apartment building with poor sound dampening.

-Dave-

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Speaking of hybrids -- anyone ever see one of these in the wild?

Trad-2P-GA-Stage-TP.jpg

It's the (unfortunately named) Riversong Guitar company, out of Canada. (Every time I see it I think it is Rainsong -- totally different guitar!)

Split out with a pickup and the Fishman triple play MIDI controller. I really thought this looked cool the first time I saw it, but it seems to me that MIDI controllers are losing some steam in the industry. I guess they are seen as more of trick-shooters than real guitars. IDK. I think this is almost music's version of "The Uncanny Valley." You want a versatile guitar, but at the end of the day it still needs to be a guitar. It seems like a fine line.

Here's a vid of the owner showing some guitar tricks

PittPastor

Reaction score
Saw them at NAMM...NAMM is more than a little bit 'wild'. :devilish:

Did you get a chance to play any of them? The guy seems to be more of an inventor than a luthier. He has some interesting ideas. But I have no idea if any of them are worth it in the long run. He prices his guitars so they are higher end than the other Canadian company (Godin) -- but I'm not sure why. I guess you pay for the innovation... but at the end of the day, how does it sound? How does it play? It's hard to know. So I'm curious.