Acoustic Guitar Amp: Basic or with effects

jwsamuel

Reaction score
I am looking to buy an acoustic guitar amp to use with my GAD30R. I don't have a lot of money to spend and and wondering if I am better off spending more for an ampo with effects built in or getting a basic amp and adding external effects boxes as I need them. I am leaning toward one of the low end Fender Acoustisonic amps (it's all I need) then adding effects if and when I want them.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Jim

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
What is your perceived purpose for the amp? Home playing? Recording? Busking? Coffee shops? Big stages?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What effects would you want with an acoustic guitar? Personally, I want an acoustic guitar to sound like an acoustic guitar. Otherwise, use an electric. I realize that everyone has different needs. The most beneficial extra on an acoustic amp that I’ve found is an xlr input for a mic.

jwsamuel

Reaction score
What effects would you want with an acoustic guitar? Personally, I want an acoustic guitar to sound like an acoustic guitar. Otherwise, use an electric. I realize that everyone has different needs. The most beneficial extra on an acoustic amp that I’ve found is an xlr input for a mic.

Right now, the effects I want are just to be able to get a bit of a fuller sound, with chorus of EQ. The other thing I would like is to be able to record a rhythm track and then play a lead over my own rhythm.

Jim

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You’ll want a looper pedal for that. The Ditto pedal has been out for awhile, (so you can find plenty used) and does a great job. There’s also a Ditto 2 (or whatever the one with more bells and whistles is).
The Marshall acoustic amp family do a good job, and have built in chorus.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I agree. I can't think of any amps with looping capabilities. I'd suggest a Loudbox Mini. They sound great and have chorus and reverb effects. And can support a microphone. Plug in a looper pedal and you'll be good to go.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have the Fender Acoustasonic 40 that I got almost 2 years ago. I got a great deal on it but after listening to a few others in different situations, I might have held out for the suggestions above and gotten either the Fishman Loudbox Mini or Marshall Acoustic Amp. They just sound better to me.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love my Fishman Loudbox Mini but I hope they've fixed their tolex problem.

markus

Reaction score
Guild Total
Yes, the Loudbox Mini is a nice little amp, but I like the Loudbox Artist even better.
Much bigger sound, two identical channels, two effect loops, EQ, phantom power for condenser mics …
It's heavier though. :-(
I own both, a Mini and an Artist, but I've never have played a Performer yet.
I'm sure there are equal or better acoustic amps out there (AER etc.), but the Fishman amps offer a lot for the price.

Regarding a bit of fuller sound:
I like to use just a (very) little bit of chorus and delay. And there's more than enough natural reverb in the church I usually play in.
(FX I use are whether in the Artist or separate pedals (Fishman AFX Chorus and AFX Delay - you can find them used easily in the US) when I go to the PA.)

markus :smile:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If you buy a looper pedel you need to see for what you want it. Some of the cheaper pedals only store the one loop as long as the pedal is powered on. If you created a nice backing track you might want to keep it for next time you play hence you need a storage capability in the looper pedal. And it depends how many backing tracks you might want to store. So don't just buy the cheapest pedal, choose what you need as features.

https://www.musicradar.com/news/best-looper-pedals
https://www.guitarfella.com/best-guitar-pedal/looper/
https://guitar.com/guides/buyers-guide/best-looper-pedals-guitar/

To save cost check what you can buy used.

Ralf

Last edited:

jwsamuel

Reaction score
If you buy a looper pedel you need to see for what you want it. Some of the cheaper pedals only store the one loop as long as the pedal is powered on. If you created a nice backing track you might want to keep it for next time you play hence you need a storage capability in the looper pedal. And it depends how many backing tracks you might want to store. So don't just buy the cheapest pedal, choose what you need as features.

Good points. Thanks.

Jim

crank

Reaction score
I have the basic Ditto looper pedal. It is good for practicing at home and for learning how to use a looper. Takes a bit to get comfortable with them, you need to always be right on time with your on and off. I think there are some pedals that may be a bit forgiving with the off thing? It's all about timing.

Anyway, I have used it at a couple of solo gigs but really need to upgrade to be practical for gigging. What I mostly use it for at home is working out solos and it is very helpful to be able to lay down a rhythm track and practice another part.

As for acoustic amps, I have several powered PA speakers so I use various configurations of those running through a mixer. You might want to look into that option as you can get halfway decent powered monitors and a small mixer for a fairly low price.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Veer alert!

We were on a cruise earlier this year and one of the ship-board musicians made a whole show of using several loopers in creative ways. He laid down percussion-type tracks tapping on an acoustic guitar in various locations. Added bass and guitar tracks, and also backing vocals. Final performance of course was using these tracks to back his lead vocal and lead guitar playing. But for the crowd it was fascinating to see him build a whole song with loopers. And he could stretch one or two songs into a whole set. Brilliant!