Guild Sighting - Custom Shop?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just stumbled into this, and at first blush, I thought it might be a GF60, but the headstock doesn't appear to be the right shape. The body looks to be GF size, but I wasn't aware of any of that body being produced in the custom shop.

Hans?

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
TC, I think you're spot on with a GF60 - there's also an excellent
detail shot of the headstock in the ad.

https://reverb.com/item/829375-guild-gf-60-1991-sun

mxdtt1ndvczvpcysmdio.jpg

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, you have a good set of eyeballs - I didn't pick up on that!
Found another GF60 - headstock does indeed appear different than the burst,
it's noticeably wider...

Reverb burst
dfpedr1txad7m1nuibnw.jpg

Guitar Bar
RCyBlnXl.jpg

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, we all know that Guild has always been consistently inconsistent!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just an FYI, the narrow headstock is commonly called the "snakehead". A George Gruhn design.

walrus

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Knew that, but didn't realize there was this much variation among same snakehead models.
Fwiw, the headstock on my F44 looks like the same on as on the GF60
on the westerlyguildguitars website and in the Guitar Bar ad.

Side by side comparison of F44 with the burst GF60 snakehead.

V8MWrc8l.jpg
Ay86Ryhl.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Just stumbled into this, and at first blush, I thought it might be a GF60, but the headstock doesn't appear to be the right shape. The body looks to be GF size, but I wasn't aware of any of that body being produced in the custom shop.
Not sure why you thought it was a Custom shop model but in fact one of the first Custom Shop models was an F44MC
You're right technically "GF"'s weren't produced in the Custom Shop but one of their earliest builds was the F44MC.
Those looked more like the Gruhn mini-jumbo outline as opposed to the Valencia and 45th Anni's which used the original slightly different '50's F40 outline.
Additional insight in post 5 here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?195762-Guild-Nashville-Custom-Shop-F44
(You actually posted in that one! Maybe I just misinterpreted what you were getting at)

Funny, the picture of the GF60 on westerlyguilds.com shows a different headstock. A GF60 it is!
mxdtt1ndvczvpcysmdio.jpg

gf60.jpg

Not sure if headstock shape actually changed during GF series production (and the Nightbird headstock was the original snakehead), have never been truly sure if the perceived shape differences might be explained by camera angles in pics, and/or other potential distortions created by side-effects of digital image display (auto-adjust of aspect ratios for example)
BUT:
Notice the difference in size of the slotted diamond inlays, the thicker inlays are holdovers from the earlier Gruhn F44's.

Last edited: