Opinion on F-212xl

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I need your opinion on whether to proceed with an acquisition of a 1975 F-212xl. I'm basically trading it for my 2012 F-47MCE (D-TAR) which is in minty condition. I just learned that the hog has had a neck reset, bridge re-glue and fret dressing. Should I avoid this deal, since I won't get to see the hog until its in my hands at home?

Neal

Reaction score
I owned one for a while, a '2000 late Westerly.

Really nice guitar, big in size and tone. I was downsizing at the time (trying again right now!)

I met you at the Local open mic night last week, and heard you play that F-47. Really nice! I wouldn't sell it for the F-212XL unless there was some additional $ that comes to you in the deal.

Especially since you already own an F-412.

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts. Here's my reaction. I am a 12 string player, and searching for a nice vintage hog to complement the maple F 412. So, that's my thinking on acquiring a F 212xl. Right, now the avg. value of my F 47 is around 1400. The 212xl is going for 1250. I'm more concerned about the fact that it's had a neck reset and bridge re-glue. But, that's not unusual for that model after 41 years, no?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I agree with Neal. With all the work done on the F212XL I would put the resale value at around $800-$1000. On the low side your 2012 F47MCE with the Dtar setup goes for between $1300-$1800 used in great shape. Personally I wouldn't make the trade either unless there was some considerable money coming your way with the F212XL. Honestly I wouldn't even trade with cash coming your way. The New Hartford F-47MCE in my opinion is in a different league than a perfect F212XL let alone one that has had major reconstruction work done. Granted the construction work is acceptable on a 1975 model but you never know what quality of work was done. Just an opinion of course.

TX

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Thanks TX. I value your opinion. One major challenge I have is that our house rule (wife influenced) is that I should not go beyond 4 guitars. So, I have to move one of mine out, and the F-47 is less favored these days for playing. I guess we're all crazy on some level!

dbirchett

Reaction score
Just do what the government does, increase the guitar limit!

idealassets

Reaction score
I'm a bit disappointed with the sound of most F212XL. 12 string and mahogany is not the right blend for me, maybe its just the way that I play. A Guild F512is what I would aspire to. At one time I had both an F412 and F512, and each had its own characteristic. The F412 is a great guitar with that arch back.

I would convince the president that room should be made for the top of the line. -Good luck.

Neal

Reaction score
FWIW, I kept an '81 D-212 that is just chock full of mahogany 12-string goodness, in a dreadnought shape.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I love the sound of a mahogany 12 string. Then again, I have never owned anything else.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The F-212XL is a wonderful beast. I've played a couple of '70s versions, and they were more resonant than my New Hartford F-212XL Standard.

Anyway, Rich, I think you got some good advice here about the finances. I don't think that's a fair straight swap; I think you would be on the losing side of that deal. That said, these aren't pure financial decisions. As a 12-string player, I can totally relate to that.

gilded

Reaction score
Well, if you can play a 412 comfortably, you can play a 212xl, so size is not an issue.

I had a 212xl, a 212c and a 112 at the same time. The 212xl was a very good guitar, the 212c was okay and the 112 was a delight to play. I miss it. I think that would be a fun 12 string to have in place of the 412. The sound would come out of the 112 very quickly. By contrast, the 212xl was a bit slow, with a deeper voice.

Finally, I think if you needed to fill a coffee shop with music without a mic or a pickup, the 212xl would be a better choice than the 112.

That's my 2 cents.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
My hog deal is with Carter Vintage Guitars. Their repair staff have done the neck reset, bridge re-glue and fret dressing. What do you think?

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I need your opinion on whether to proceed with an acquisition of a 1975 F-212xl. I'm basically trading it for my 2012 F-47MCE (D-TAR) which is in minty condition.

No! Not a good deal. Even as a 12-string player, you need a 6-string or two. I'm thinking you need to renegotiate a new disarmament treaty with the president, allowing for trial periods at least where you're overabundant temporarily.... then maybe permanently with some additional "negotiation." :surprise:

gilded

Reaction score
Rich,

I think it's your decision. Monetarily, you are leaving significant money on the table, but if you got to have it, well, most of us have been there.

Also, the guitar is in Nashville. That's 550 miles from your town, so it's not like you're gonna drive down Saturday morning to check it out and skedaddle back to Virginina after lunch!

Here is the link for the guitar: https://cartervintage.com/collectio...ducts/guild-f-212-xl-1975?variant=32303818243

Nice looking guitar, with a few noticeable scratches. My hunch is that they can sell your guitar for $400-600 more than they can get for their guitar. Again, that may not matter to you.

My guess is that Carter Guitars has very good repairmen. Still, before I committed to thrust, I would ask for some pictures of the the neck heel from all angles so the quality of work they did on this particular guitar can be seen. Necks are hard to pull cleanly on Guilds and you need to know what this one looks like.

Also ask for pics of the case. That could make a big difference in value to the next guy down the line.

Also, I have a question for you. Why do you like your F48 over your F47? Don't know jack about F48s, just curious.

thanks, Harry/gilded

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Cougar,
I have two six stringers: F-48 and DV-52, plus the F-412, which is maple. The 212xl hog would complement the F-412.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Harry,
Thanks for the advice and ideas. I have thought of asking for more pics, which I'll do today. I like the F-48, which I have recently acquired, for several reasons. One, it's a hog, not maple, producing a very nice mellow tone, also partly because it's 42 years old and has opened up well. Third, it's got mojo. The F-47, is rather bright sounding for me -- though it sounds great for melody work. You're all right about leaving money on the table. But, we all are subjective beings!:cool-new:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Chazmo, thanks for your advice. Actually, a shop like Carter Vintage Guitars doesn't swap guitars. They offer 80% of its market value and put it towards the wanted axe's asking price.

gilded

Reaction score
Rich, I like Mahogany more than maple, too, but everybody's ears are different.

I know you have a solemn covenant with your wife, but you might consider promising her to put one up for sale immediately on Craigslist/local consignment, etc., after receiving the new guitar and deciding to keep it.

How much do you and they think your 47 is worth?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Harry,
Carter Vintage is using the number 1,400. Several F-47s comparable in age and condition are going for around 1400 -- 1500. So, I would say Carter is being reasonably business like with me.