NGD 1973 D35 update, video proof

Grassdog

Reaction score
Hey Wood, glad to hear you have it now and that you're enjoying it. It's found a great home. Probably wouldn't hurt to get her in for a thorough inspection and set-up. You got such a great deal on it may as well spend a few bucks to get it in optimal playing shape.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Wood, glad to hear you have it now and that you're enjoying it. It's found a great home. Probably wouldn't hurt to get her in for a thorough inspection and set-up. You got such a great deal on it may as well spend a few bucks to get it in optimal playing shape.

Yes Grass, I got a place I could take it to and will. Check it over and lower saddle a bit would do it for a while. I like how big it sounds vs the Br.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice ,good to see you got another guitar added to the herd . The nail , it's not a nail at all it's a sustain rod . It was the in thing back in the day . It's placed near or at the selected area of interest. Also stops bears from pawing around the inside . 😁

Sustain rod? I am going with that explanation Ray!

Br1ck

Reaction score
Sounds just like an early 70s D 35 should. Very even across the strings. It's a guitar you can take anywhere worry free. That's what I love from an old battle scarred guitar, and what a deal. Keep it hydrated and out of that desert sun.

PittPastor

Reaction score
Considering that is just a phone recording and the space is totally open so there is no room reverb to help -- that guitar sounds great! Congrats! Sometimes the mutt you take home from the pound ends up being the best dog you ever know.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sometimes the mutt you take home from the pound ends up being the best dog you ever know.

i really been digging the D35. such a nice warm, resonant and crisp sound, just been fingerpicking it. and it is heavier than the Br, for sure, been noticing that too. neck is bigger too. the Br neck is more like a strat neck shape. thin and narrow. D35 neck is rounder. Lots of deviation I gather at Guild from 1971-1973 :). Of course, this D35 has no label inside, sticker fill out long ago. like the Br. just the Guild stamp. and i like the tuners say Guild on them, well, the 5 :)

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice Grab Wood! That old girl sounds pretty damn nice to me, Nice playing too. Major Congrats my Friend.

TX

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Isn't that "Button" on the bridge a Hot Dot pickup? Have you tried to plug it in?

yeah, pup totally dead. i actually took the pup out on saturday night. as well, a small piece of the soundhole wood fell off, the outer ring had been worn so badly due to whoever and however the dude strummed it over the years. i have never witnessed that level of wear around a soundhole before. my wife wood-glued the weaker part to the stronger as i use a "woody" soundhole pickup and i need it to fit sung. if not for that, i would get a woodworking friend to just cut out the soundhole edge rim ala tony rice. :) fortunately that is not the case here. I was also able to find a great string action height by slowly working the TR. I am going to leave the Jalopy as is and just play it. I just love the sound and where it is right now. I do not want to mess with anything till like something just falls off it that is critical to structure or playability. till that day, she is as she is. they were totally made to be played. the fundamental foundation and function of old Westlerly Guild dreads is uncanny. another guitar would have imploded by now.

Br1ck

Reaction score
You might want to cleat the piece you glued back on, just like you would a pickguard crack.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Late to the party as usual, but congratulations on the D35 WW!!! However I am sad to inform the yt vid would not load for me..

I love my ‘78 D35 and it sounds like you are digging yours.. did I miss the pics???