What, no Super Bowl talk?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
A great defensive battle! Maybe boring to some, but talk about a great physical battle - old time football - and not really boring when you consider the game was not really over until the last seconds. I'm a Patriot's fan, and I know how lucky I am to live in MA (regarding sports teams, anyway).

Great article by ESPN summarizing the Patriot's dynasty and the magic of Belichick/Brady. So many different players over the years around Brady, so many adjustments to make for each game.

We will simply never see this kind of long-term greatness again.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ots-dynasty-greatest-sports-2018-nfl-playoffs

walrus

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Agree and even the most biased Tennessee and Peyton Manning fan (of which I am one) have to admit, Tom Brady's accomplishments will, most likely, never be equalled in our life time. Simply put, "B Squared" are the best.

Grassdog

Reaction score
Have to agree with you Walrus. It's year in and year out excellence, can't deny it. If my Vikings could just win one, I could die a happy man.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
A great defensive battle! Maybe boring to some, but talk about a great physical battle - old time football - and not really boring when you consider the game was not really over until the last seconds. I'm a Patriot's fan, and I know how lucky I am to live in MA (regarding sports teams, anyway).

Great article by ESPN summarizing the Patriot's dynasty and the magic of Belichick/Brady. So many different players over the years around Brady, so many adjustments to make for each game.

We will simply never see this kind of long-term greatness again.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...ots-dynasty-greatest-sports-2018-nfl-playoffs

walrus

What about Y. A. tittle? He was a long term great as well, and didn't have all that protective equipment either.
RC

Last edited:

crank

Reaction score
I too enjoyed the defensive battle.

I live in southwestern CT where the population is split between NY and Boston team loyalties. Me, I'm a long-suffering Jets fan so I am tired of the Pats dominating our division. That said, hats off to them; Bellicheck and Brady are both the best at what they do and they work together hand in glove.

I was disappointed in the Superbowl ads. Nothing that great I thought.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I loved this game. I think defensive football is highly entertaining. I'll be the 1st to admit I'm not really a Pats fan but I wish for once in my life I could be as dominant at something (anything actually) as Brady and the Pats are. He's in great shape and looks like he could play until he's 50.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Below are other Super Bowl records set or tied in Sunday night's game:

Set
Oldest head coach, winning team: Belichick (66)
Longest punt: Johnny Hekker (65 yards)
Most games, team: 11 (New England)
Fewest points, game, both teams: 16
Fewest points, game, winning team: 13 (Patriots)
Fewest points through three quarters, both teams: 6
Fewest touchdowns, game, both teams: 1
Fewest PATs, game, both teams: 1
Fewest kickoff returns, game, both teams: 2
Most consecutive drives ending with a punt, game, team: 8 (Rams)
Tied
Most field goals, career: 7, Stephen Gostkowski
Most receptions, first half: 7, Julian Edelman
Most punt returns, career: 8, Julian Edelman
Most games won, team: 6, New England
Fewest points, game, team: 3, Rams
Fewest touchdowns, game, team: 0, Rams
Most first downs by penalty, game, team: 4, New England
Fewest touchdowns, passing, game, both teams: 0
Fewest fumbles lost, game, both teams: 0

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haven't watched an NFL game in several years. Anyway, I live in "Lions" country.

Antney

Reaction score
Although I live 30 miles from Gillette Stadium I’m not a big football or Pats fan, but we did have another couple over to watch the game. Here’s our final stats:

Prosecco
Corona w lime
Budweiser
Bogle Essential Red

Shrimp cocktail
Chicken Wings
Buffalo Wings
Smartfood Cheddar Popcorn
Homemade guacamole w organic chips
Homemade pulled pork sandwiches

Hagendaz milk chocolate almond ice cream
Sweetened whipped marscapone with fresh strawberries and pistachio biscottis

Watched the game and talked a lot about our past vacations together. We decided when it was 3-3 if the Pats pull it out we’re going to Venice and Tuscany in the fall, and if LA wins we’re taking a river cruise in Germany. Thank god for TB.

So....7 days till spring training....

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Did you forget to send my invitation? You had more good stuff in one night than I typically have in a week. Good on you.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I have a friend who will be 92 tomorrow. She has been having a couple of people over to watch the Super Bowl with her for decades. It's not really about the game any more :) Slight preference for the Rams and slight dislike for NE but not to the point or really caring who won. Defensive struggle was more interesting than anticipated. Biggest takeaway was all the pop culture references than went over everyone's heads, at least until someone went to the internet to get an explanation of what we just saw.

CA-35

Reaction score
We are so quick to anoint dynasties: There was Curt Warner and the St Louis Rams "The Greatest Show on Turf" until they ran into Bill and Tom, there was Russell Wilson and the Seahawks "Legion of Boom" until they ran into Bill and Tom, there was Ben Rothlisberger and the Pittsburgh Steelers "Terrible Towel" until they ran into Bill and Tom, and who can forget the real Golden Boy Peyton AW Shucks Manning and the Indianapolis Colts who were going to wreck the NFL with 8 Superbowls....they won one and lost 4 AFC Championships when they ran into Bill and Tom.

There was Walsh and Montana, Shula and Marino, Parcells and Simms, Johnson and Aikman, Levy and Kelly, Lombardi and Starr, Reeves and Theisman and they all pale in comparison to Belechick and Brady. The greatest of all time at their respective positions. Brady has had an 18 year career and half of those years he went to a Super Bowl. Incredible. And he has never had a decent deep threat as a receiver except for one year with Randy Moss. The whole league is throwing to Lamborghinis and Tom has been throwing to Honda Civics.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
IMHO, in the total scheme of things its awfully hard to justify paying guys multi-millions of $ to play around with a ball...but I have been accused of being an old curmudgeon.:pride:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have about as much interest in "football" (still don't know what the "foot" is doing in here) as most of you have in motocross racing, but I did hear about a lame half-time performer who had to remove his jackets (I heard he had several of them on) to retain some of the audience interest.... given the pics posted on some medias showing a guy with a torso that looks like an ugly-too-busy wallpaper from the seventies (ya know the kind you can't wait tearing off to replace with a nice solid tone satin paint) I wonder how this can possibly have gotten the job done, but somewhat sadly, suspect it did.
Oh.. and I also heard the corn lobby was upset over a Budweiser commercial advertising for a corn syrup free beer..... the nerve trying to introduce a beverage that does not contribute one iota to the well being of the diabetes epidemic!

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
IMHO, in the total scheme of things its awfully hard to justify paying guys multi-millions of $ to play around with a ball...but I have been accused of being an old curmudgeon.:pride:

But the real question is, if you had that talent and were offered millions to play the game would you turn it down?? I can guarantee you, I would not. In fact, it wouldn't even take millions to be honest.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

And still it is called "Football" ???
Of course "Footovoid" would sound a bit strange - wouldn't it.