Bluesbirds: Owners & Long Time Borrowers List

StanBlues

Reaction score
Hobbesickles,
First welcome to LTG...
second.... unbelievably cool bird you have there......

Ralph.... I think we have our example of an Amber BB!!! What do you think?

Also yes you can put strap locks on these see below picture... (not my axe, but an example)
You should be able to find a case, perhaps a post on the WTB thread... (Want to Buy)
But I will keep my eyes out for you.....perhaps someone on this thread has one hanging around....or can advise if there are any other cases they fit in.... I have heard that the LP case does not work that well but fear not..... someone will set us straight!

I will get you on the list on the next update!!!
dennis

bbmapletop.jpg
[/IMG]

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hobbesickles, First welcome to LTG... second.... unbelievably cool bird you have there......
Ralf.... I think we have our example of an Amber BB!!! What do you think?
Hi Hobbesickles, welcome to LTG! This is really a stunning top on your guitar!
One question. You said the color is "Amber", we had a bit of speculation/discussion here how an Amber top really looks like. Myself and Bluespicky also have a similar looking top in our BBs, we believe they are AAA tops, but we were not sure if it is Amber or Natural Top. Therefore my question: Since you said Amber, do you have the model number of the guitar by any chance? Especially the last 3 numbers, are they 820 or 821? Or just out of curiosity, where did you get the Amber info from? We are just looking for a "proof" from an owner who has one, as both Bluespicky and myself bought used and don't have the original hangtags or paperwork.

Dennis: By the way, the Guild literature from beginning of Guild until today always had errors, so don't assume if it is not written there it doesn't exist and vice versa. Hans tried to correct many things in his book, but even from the time he published it until today certain things needed correction in his book, it's just the way it is, new information shows up all the time and when Hans wrote the first book the internet was not really what it is today, basically it wasn't used much in the first half of the 90ies. Today there is way more info due to worldwide information exchange. Just think about internet in 'Stan in the 90ies ;-)
Ralf

StanBlues

Reaction score
Great quilted Bird! If you get her in a different light perhaps it will really show.
You also have the oldest of the '90's BB's to make the list with 478.... Wilfred comes in at #2 with 721......
Strangely we have representation from all the model years (for the 90's BB's) except for 1998.....
What's up with that? Someone surely has a '98 hanging around somewhere!

2nevets..... tell us the truth.... do you have another bird hanging around or what? I get the feeling you have been holding out!
That's three by my count! Of course.... I would do the same, but I am waiting for the perfect bird to come my way.... not sure what it is yet..... but she is out there....
also i cant remember if you gave me the serial number for the '01 Cherry Sunburst? I have it listed but no number.... I have your Tobacco Burst listed separately as a new column for the Custom Shop's....
also let me know if i am getting the color designations correct....it is so hard to keep up! BTW keep your birds locked up... Mr. Eastwood looks like he's eyeing up that quilted top!!!

I will post the update soon......

Great Birds I am seeing around here.... lot's of GAS!!!!

rock on!
dennis

Hobbesickles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Hobbesickles, welcome to LTG! This is really a stunning top on your guitar!
One question. You said the color is "Amber", we had a bit of speculation/discussion here how an Amber top really looks like. Myself and Bluespicky also have a similar looking top in our BBs, we believe they are AAA tops, but we were not sure if it is Amber or Natural Top. Therefore my question: Since you said Amber, do you have the model number of the guitar by any chance? Especially the last 3 numbers, are they 820 or 821? Or just out of curiosity, where did you get the Amber info from? We are just looking for a "proof" from an owner who has one, as both Bluespicky and myself bought used and don't have the original hangtags or paperwork.

Dennis: By the way, the Guild literature from beginning of Guild until today always had errors, so don't assume if it is not written there it doesn't exist and vice versa. Hans tried to correct many things in his book, but even from the time he published it until today certain things needed correction in his book, it's just the way it is, new information shows up all the time and when Hans wrote the first book the internet was not really what it is today, basically it wasn't used much in the first half of the 90ies. Today there is way more info due to worldwide information exchange. Just think about internet in 'Stan in the 90ies ;-)
Ralf

Hello, I don't have any of the original paperwork. I pickup this guitar a couple of weeks ago off my local craigslist. The original owner thought the guitar was a 1999 model, but after a bit of research on my end I was able to put it close to 2002. He said he bought it at a Guitar Center in 2002 and it didn't have the case either. I went back to my parents house over Christmas break from university and was digging through some old magazines my older brother left behind after he moved out. The pictures are below. Ever since I have had the magazine for the past 5 months I have been GASing hard for a Bluesbird. Let me go ahead and apologize for the poor pics. My scanner is out of order at the moment.

XL9QijNh.jpg

DD8Fw4qh.jpg

CMJb8xjh.jpg

kMeoQ2ph.jpg

If the fourth pic is hard to follow, the Bluesbirds are the only two with High Gloss Polyurethane finishes. Going off the catalog, the only colors on the AAA are: Amber, Cherry Sunburst, and Tobacco Sunburst. Mine certainly isn't the other colors, so I was only assuming mine is Amber.

StanBlues

Reaction score
Hobbesickles,
I think that is a reasonable deduction. I will continue to list the guitar as the owner designates, since I have no way to tell one way or the other.....
I think you are safe with that designation. Very few people would be in a position to argue with you.
With the exception of the custom ordered guitars, of which there were a few, we only have the three colors you mention in AAA Tops. Once we get a couple people with Amber AAA Tops, and hopefully some paperwork, everyone here will be able to make a decision about what color/category their bird falls into.
I am very interested in how the quilted tops were manufactured. AAA Tops seem to me to have the maple in quite a natural, oft times imperfect state of perfection. Some quilted tops also seem to be of a natural origin, but others seem "manufactured" to look that way where you cannot see actual wood or grain. In any case if anyone has any insight on the manufacturing process for the quilted tops that might help lead to some answers to AAA vs Quilted or could it be Quilted AAA???
Its all about the discovery man.... good stuff.....
Thanks for the post Hobbesickles......when you get scanning back up, let me know (just PM me). I would like to get copies of that catalog. I have '01 on file but not '02. I am trying to amass as much of the actual catalog data as a baseline. Of course we know that catalogs are not always 100%, but it is sure a good way to start.

Ralph... I am definitely tracking. But also curious about these things. I cannot really do much until I have a hang tag, original paperwork or something showing me what an Amber AAA looks like...lol.
Also if the catalogs were incorrect for one year I might buy that. However, unless Guild was purposely putting out bad information, it is a little hard to believe that they would screw up the catalog every year of bluesbird production. From what I have seen, and with the exception of the common custom order, they only listed three colors for the AAA Top for the entire run of production. I will go back and look to make sure, but if that is the case, you would have a hard time convincing someone that for over six years Guild made the same omission/error in their catalog. I mean it could happen, certainly, but did that happen. I am not so sure. The mystery continues....!!!! My personal opinion is that some people that have "quileted tops" don't really have quilted tops at all, they have either a Natural AAA (perhaps custom or added to the line at some point) or an Amber AAA without any burst effect...... the other Quilted tops that don't show the wood grain and are almost perfectly symmetrical swirls in the deeper colors are probably just that... and not from AAA wood stock. Of course I have no proof of that.... it is just a thought that I had after looking at so many of these.
Let me know what you think......

Hobbesickles...
rock on... and enjoy that bird!
we'll look for a case for you........

2nevets.... do you have a line on a case for Hobbesickles? just figured since you had 10 Bluesbirds, you might have an extra case or three laying around!!!

Best,
Dennis

StanBlues

Reaction score
Ralph,
Also take a look (and i say this full knowing that things changed with Corona production) but I just noticed a few differences in how the BB's were listed in '02 vs say '01 or earlier Westerly catalogs.
1. The obvious omission of the Blues 90
2. Color codes in the catalog are changed from the three digit stock codes from Westerly production to the standard two digit codes.
3. (and perhaps the most telling considering our quesiton) is that the Bluesbird top is listed as "Carved Figured M" whereas the Bluesbird AAA is listed as "Carved AAA Figured M"

So by that logic some of the figured tops are not going to be AAA. Again it will be up to the owner to list their guitar accurately, but I would say that quilted or figured does not necessarily equal AAA.
I think in the long run it will be impossible to tell 100% if a guitar was AAA or not (without original paperwork). Unless someone gets their hands on a serial number list from the factory, which I am not so sure that they kept.
Pehaphs Hans could weigh in on this. He might have some insight.
Again... let me know what you think...
Also perhaps someone with a quilted top has the original paperwork with their bird. So if you have a quilted top and have original paperwork... take a pic and post with a picture of your bird....
that would be a great place to start....

Rock on!
dennis

StanBlues

Reaction score
Not to belabor the point, but this was on the PRS FAQ section. I sure wish Guild did something like this. It would make this a lot easier! Albeit less of a mystery.
I was hoping we would find a "secret code" inside the guitar or something!
Oh well ..... back to work!

"A very small percent of the maple trees cut in North America are actually figured. To make "10-Top" status, a PRS top must have clearly defined figure across its entire top with no "dead" spots. A guitar designated as a 10-Top will usually have a small "10" written on the back of the headstock in the upper right corner. Some of our earlier guitars have the "10" stamped into the finish in the same position."

Rock on!
d

StanBlues

Reaction score
coastie99,
Gotta get me stats on those two awesome birds.....
i second that emotion with that flamey bird....she is on fire!!!

I will get you on the board, but need the model, year and colors.....

awesome! just awesome!

rock on
D

coastie99

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I'd intended leaving comment until the weekend, but, I have time on my hands after dinner.

Guitar is a 2001, S/N CL002616.

Bought ex-USA around two years ago. And herein lies another example of the brotherhood which is LTG.

I spotted the 'bird on Ebay, US $1000 Buy Now and HAD to have it. I contacted my great friend Cap'n Juan to ask if he would make the purchase for me. It turned out that he could not but, he contacted another great friend ..... the superb Hatt of Phooeynix. This did not happen in just five minutes, or even ten, and I s#*t staples while waiting, expecting it to be snapped up by another buyer. The Hatted Splendour snaffled it on my behalf, and shipped it to Cap'n Juan's Music Boutique and Costume Hire, for eventual shipment to Newsyland.

While the guitar was in Juan's possession, I had a rather capital idea ...... How about getting Bluesy, le Frogolian Fantastique, to record a Ewe Chewb video with the guitar ? Which, le plus grande Bluesy did.

The guitar eventually made it to Newsyland and I was much pleased with it.

I felt that such a fabulous finish as this deserved gold appointments and I changed all the hardware. I should add that I'm not normally much of a fan of gold, but this guitar deserved it. The "right" knobs were very difficult to source. I eventually found these at GFS and had to have them modified to fit. Tiny Guild logos were produced by a local print shop. P/U's are standard SD's with aftermarket gold covers. Vintage taper pot's were sourced from Crazy Parts in Germany and fitted with NOS Sprague 003 tone caps. I also removed the Grovers and installed Kluson tulips. I fabricated a nice Mammoth Ivory TRC and one day I will turn my hand to fashioning a set of P/U rings, from either Ivory or Native Wood.

Now, for you, the depressing part ! I am the hack-est of hack guitarists and, all I can tell you is that this guitar sounds just fine to me. I'm not able to give an educated critique. I'm happy and that's all that's necessary.

Last edited:

StanBlues

Reaction score
coastie,
Great story about how you acquired the bird! Can't get over that finish..... she looks great.
What about your Blues 90? Drop me the information on that one and I will get it on the list as well!
I am sure she sounds great!

rock on!
d

Toro

Reaction score
Here are pictures of my two Bluesbirds, both Corona made (I´m new here so I hope i get this right...)

As mentioned in the thread about Bluesbird pickup swaps the P 90 Bluesbird has Lollar P 90s and had a gold top finish that I couldn´t get used to. . What appeared underneath the gold was then refinished in red sunburst by a friend of mine. To my big surprise this made a big change in sound: the guitar sounds much more transparent and dynamic now.
The tobacco burst one had SD Pups. These sounded too dark for my set up so I exchanged them for Lollar Imperial humbuckers. Sounds and plays like a dream....

StanBlues

Reaction score
Toro,
Great looking birds! Get me years, serial numbers and how you want to list the colors and I will add you to the list!
Very bold move on the red burst! Came out beautiful. And the P90's! I have seen a couple birds with this mod. Sounds like you were more than satisfied with the outcome!
Both BB's look rockin' !!

Rock on!
dennis

Toro

Reaction score
StanBlues,
Thank you! Both BBs rock and sing, a real joy... I just played the humbucker BB on some studio tracks for a CD of a singer/guitarplayer duo-project of mine...very happy with it and it´s versatile sound even at low volume settings. I am also still stunned by the sonic outcome of my "bold move" with the P90 Bluesbird (refinishing the maple top was meant to be for cosmetic reasons...). This guitar is so much alive and snappy now...the original thick laquer coat (at least on my Corona ones) seems to dampen the high frequency content quite a lot...but I will not be touching the tobacco burst top!

The P90 Bluesbird Ser. Nr. is very hard to read: CM 000 610 ?(Corona built) , the year should be 2003, the colour ? ex gold top, now "red burst" ? what do you think? Lollar P90s and a brass ABR replacement bridge in place of the nashville stock one.

The humbucker BB has ser. Nr. CM 000 662 (Corona built), the year should be 2003, the colour: tobacco burst i think. Has Lollar Imperial humbuckers now, open Waverly tuners, a replacement ABR instead of the nashville stock one.
Has the 2nd best + smoothest bluesy crunchy sound I ve been able to get from a humbucker guitar (1st is from an original ´59 ES 345 with PAFs...)

Thank you for taking the initiative for the BBirds!
Hanno

StanBlues

Reaction score
Toro,
I will list as the first '03 models. Let's check and make sure that they are not from '02. Perhaps Hans or someone else can confirm the dates.
I will list as one Tobacco Burst and one as Red Burst as you requested. In my notes (currently only I see them) have have annotated the Red Burst as "custom".
I am working on an interactive page that will be a bit more useful to the forum, but still working out all the IT bugs to get it working.
Once it is up, anyone will be able to view the serial numbers and a picture, at least, and a picture of the guitar.
No pun intended, but it sounds like you got the sound you were looking for!

Rock on!
d

StanBlues

Reaction score
Ok...
here is the latest and greatest....
I had to remove the color chart for now and will add as an additional post later.....
but the list is growing.....
great birds coming in.....
Also another note, if you decide to sell your bird let me know so I can update..... if you sell to an LTG'r let me know too and I will add them to the list.....
Ok...here it is!

20130522ltgbbssheet1.jpg
[/IMG]

rock on!
dennis

Pwal

Reaction score
I've got a Standard goldtop here.

It's a 2000 or 2001, can't remember. Serial is CL000771. And I absolutely love it!

J-F

StanBlues

Reaction score
Blue335 great birds man..... i am really liking all three of those birds.... but have to say the Tobacco Burst is my fav......
what a great group..... I will get you updated right away.....

Pwal
Hey see if you can post a bigger pic of that gold top! looks sweet. I will get you listed right away.....but I am thinking it is a '97 if that serial number is correct.
Please confirm if you can. Most of the '00's are around CL002000 (ish) and up to around CL002550 (ish) and the '01's are even higher.....
the '97's I have on the list are CL000478 (2nevets) and CL000721 (Wilfred)..... I would think that your bird is probably a '97.

Great birds all around! Thanks for posting.... I will get the list updated as soon as possible.....
Rock on !
dennis