Fake S-100 keeps getting faker?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm sure no one has been holding their breath over this, but here's the reply I got back after sending the seller a very kind message asking for any info he may have.

"The man I got it from is dead . But he told me he got it from a guy who worked for the guilds Co."

So, yeah, not going to find out anything on that end.

I sure wish I could shake my feeling that we have seen this guitar, or one like it, before.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I sure wish I could shake my feeling that we have seen this guitar, or one like it, before.
I think we've seen another one like it but not this specific guitar, at least not since '09?
Maybe you're thinking of the one from a couple of years ago, presented for advice by a new member?
Seem to recall the s/n was obscured, filled from a repaint job, and which he repainted to his liking while "restoring" to a very nice player grade.
I think that one also had some questions about hardware/neck originality.

Last edited:

12manyaxes

Reaction score
from the pics that I see is the finish looks like its guild .. we all see the checking which is very s 100.. who knows ,maybe some guild employee brought his kid to work on day and turned the kid loose on the seconds, blems and failed experiments bin

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I think we've seen another one like it but not this specific guitar, at least not since '09?
Maybe you're thinking of the one from a couple of years ago, presented for advice by a new member?

Frono is right! We went over this one a couple of years ago. I have nothing to add!

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?180826-What-kind-of-Guild-is-this

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Frono is right! We went over this one a couple of years ago. I have nothing to add!

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?180826-What-kind-of-Guild-is-this

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thank you. Looking at that thread it looks like people eventually concluded the serial was 82452 which I will take as strong evidence it is the same guitar. Using my super secret Moderator powers, I cannot find anything to suggest Lucky672 and Brynot have any connection to each other. Perhaps am Administrator will have more insight :)

Brynot's seller claims it was made by a Guild employee now deceased. Lucky672 makes no claim to knowing anything about guitars and asserts that a local shop called it a Guild. So there is more to this story, perhaps other owners or additional research that has not been reported.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looking at that thread it looks like people eventually concluded the serial was 82452 which I will take as strong evidence it is the same guitar.

Well, I'm telling you it is the same guitar and in that thread I already concluded that it was a 1970/1971 neck! So there's really nothing new to the story and we're looking at a Guild neck from 1971 with a body most likely coming from a Japanese guitar.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Alright Bryno, there's only one way outta this... we're gonna need a complete forensic analysis on the body, and I mean the works, to include, but not limited to:

Stable isotopes
N.I.R. (Near Infrared)
Paper fiber analysis
Remote sensing
and of course, DNA look up.

That might allow us to track the factory of origin.

Would be nice if we could have this by E.O.B.D. tomorrow so Al can enjoy his weekend stress free.

Thanks!

Brynot

Reaction score
Well, I'm telling you it is the same guitar and in that thread I already concluded that it was a 1970/1971 neck! So there's really nothing new to the story and we're looking at a Guild neck from 1971 with a body most likely coming from a Japanese guitar.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Aww... now I feel like I wasted everyone's time. Bummer. I haven't even read that whole thread yet. Too sad. It's a shame someone would go through such lengths to be dishonest. Such is life. Luckily, I love guitars and I at least got some entertainment out of this. Hindsight is 20/20.

Okay, read the rest. The dishonest seller seems to be the exact same guy since he told me, upon parking lot sale, that he had taken it up the guitar shop here in my town a few years back and they were amazed by it! Ha! Certainly the same guy since he lives in the next town over. Also, the guys at the music store here know very little about guitars - I should know since I've been going there for the last 8 years and they usually answer any questions with "I have no idea, I play mandolin" or "I just clean everyone's guitars with orange Pledge furniture polish".

This Lucky guy was obviously trying to unload the guitar and rip someone off. Mission accomplished. Lemons out of lemonade is it taught me a lot about the history of Guilds, Guild pickups, solid bodies, and taught me an unnecessary lesson in buyer beware. The truth is, how the hell could I have known? He made sure the price was reasonable for someone to buy it without being sure. Pretty lame, but hey, I've been entertained for the last month and I've got a good project.

Btw - it's a 5 not an 8.

Peas

Last edited:

K.O.M.A.

Reaction score
So the guy in the old thread comes here for answers on his unusual guitar. He gets answers but not the ones he wants. So he then unloads it on the next guy (Brynot) without sharing any of the info he learned here and gives him a BS story. Man that sucks, sorry Brynot. Most of the people I've encountered on this site and with the Guild brand have been really good people. I think I'd be making a trip back to the next town over and confronting him. Anyway, sorry again and hopefully you can do something cool with it.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Hans, what makes you think it's a Japanese body? The routes are all real amateur stuff, which makes me think it's homemade, yet the joinery b/w the maple and mahogany looks really precisely tongue-and-grooved. Almost makes me wonder whether somebody had some piece of furniture with that slab of joined wood that they cut into a guitar body. Is there a specific make/model MIJ guitar that used the same body/construction style? (Sorry, kind of always enjoyed the higher quality oddball Japanese stuff!)

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hans, what makes you think it's a Japanese body? The routes are all real amateur stuff, which makes me think it's homemade, yet the joinery b/w the maple and mahogany looks really precisely tongue-and-grooved.

Hello kakerlak,

When I stated that it probably was a Japanese body, I had not seen the routes for the pickups and the controls. And to be honest, I did not look really close to the detail shots when the second thread was started. I just thought: 'Here we go again; let's see how the thread ends this time!'.

Now that I've seen the detail shots, I'm quite sure that it is a homemade body.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Brynot

Reaction score
So the guy in the old thread comes here for answers on his unusual guitar. He gets answers but not the ones he wants. So he then unloads it on the next guy (Brynot) without sharing any of the info he learned here and gives him a BS story. Man that sucks, sorry Brynot. Most of the people I've encountered on this site and with the Guild brand have been really good people. I think I'd be making a trip back to the next town over and confronting him. Anyway, sorry again and hopefully you can do something cool with it.

Thanks for that, and yes, that's exactly what happened. He even lied when I wrote him back and asked him politely for more information. He is a dirtbag. I'm still happy to have this guitar, it certainly has a real story attached to it now. I'm determined to make it playable. I wish I'd have paid $100 for it instead of $300, but buyer beware. I knew that when I bought it. One of the guys from Guild said "buy it no matter if it's a complete guitar or not". I think he was right, it's just that knowing this guy was out to scam someone taints the whole thing. He could have said "I've been told this guitar isn't a real Guild, but if you're interested in a weird guitar with an unknown origin, I'll sell it to you for $300."

At least he'd still have his honor.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Would be nice if we could have this by E.O.B.D. tomorrow so Al can enjoy his weekend stress free.
Too late.
I even posted in that previous thread and didn't remember it.
That's gonna take a l-o-o-o-n-g time to get over.
At least a couple of ....what were we talking about?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
FWIW, guys, I've banned Lucky672 on LTG. The fact that he screwed a new LTG member really raises my hackles. Anyway, the ban is meaningless since he hasn't been around here since that thread, but seemed the right thing to do. Good riddance.

My apologies to Brynot for this bad behavior on the part of another LTG member. Unfortunately, we really can't control outside marketplaces.

Brynot, please stay with us. I hope we can get you into some (good) Guild guitars as time goes on. Don't let this spoil your appetite.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I can't wait for the rest of the story. It looks cool and with a S-100 neck it should play really nice when fixed. I think it needs some Guild knobs too.
Thanks and good luck. John