NGD Carlo Greco "Guild Influenced" 18" Hand Made Jumbo

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This video is great! Very cool to see and hear Carlo discuss his work.

walrus

I agree completely on this, Very cool video indeed!

As far as the Bracing on the inside I can see the one large X brace that crosses at the base of the soundhole. Then on a diagonal in the lower quadrant of that X Brace is there is one brace that contacts the lower outer edge of the Bridge plate and two more below it. Then of the right quadrant as you look at the top there are two more braces running diagonally that split the difference between the three lower ones. That is all I can see right now but I will have my luthier verify everything as he has one of those cool cameras that can fit inside.

Something that I am having trouble with is finding substantial information on Carlo Greco himself and the guitars he built under his own name while working at Alex's Repair shop on 48th street in New York. There is very little written about him and the Guitars. The email I found on a Carlo Greco Guitar page for a gentleman named George that says to contact for more info is not working. I know from watching the few videos of Carlo that he used top of the line woods in his guitars including Brazilian Rosewood, Really old Spruce, and Peruvian Mahogany for it's strength as he states. These are wood stocks that he had for 50 years or so in his possession. I would just like to know more about the guitars he made including mine so if anyone out there has any info or a lead on some info I would Highly appreciate it.

TX

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
bdeclee visited Mr. Greco http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...Carlo-Greco-this-past-weekend&highlight=Greco

jahn did as well although I could not find his LTG account. He links to it at http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...o-Greco-news&p=1494303&viewfull=1#post1494303 but the link there is before the software upgrade and I have not been able to find the "new" location.

Thank you so much for the links Frono. I had read Bdeclee's post previously but had not read the thread you linked to Jahn. Very sad to think that towards the end his eyesight was lost in one eye and his wife had passed. I also find it quite Amazing that he was still active in fixing and building guitars right up until the end. Normally when you read about a "Master of the Golden Age" like so many refer to him as they are long out of the business or passed on 50 years after the fact. What an Amazing man with an Amazing Talent. Makes me even prouder to have the privilege to care for and play a piece of his history.

TX

X-170AB

Reaction score
I may be late to the party, but still want to say - that guitar looks awesome!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
CypressKnee, who hasn't been around here much, might have some information for you if you can contact him. He used to own a Greco dread, and I believe he'd done some research/conversations with the man.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
That is a gorgeous piece TX. Every detail. Love the checking on the top. Congrats sir!

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
And let me add Richard is a class act indeed! I have not had the privilege of buying from him yet ( or any ltg'er ) but something tells I will get the chance at some point. Hopefully.

F312

Reaction score
The guitar looks very Guildish to me and no wonder. I wonder if the strap button is original. When you change strings on her check it out. I like it there the best, but it does need the block reinforcement. Thanks for sharing.

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The guitar looks very Guildish to me and no wonder. I wonder if the strap button is original. When you change strings on her check it out. I like it there the best, but it does need the block reinforcement. Thanks for sharing.

Ralph

It is an Original Strap button. There is no small piece of wood there for backing the screw up though. Instead there is the entire Neck Block. The Neck block on the inside is flush with the cutaway side of the Neck Joint but it extends approximately 1 inch in width past the fretboard extension on the Bass side. This is what the Original Strap pin screw is anchored into. Also the extended Bass side of the neck block has a beautifully rounded corner instead of a hard angle. The attention to detail on the internal construction is just amazing the way everything is shaped and fits together. I doubt there is an inch of this guitar that Carlo didn't put his hands on and personally shape. Just as beautiful on the inside as on the outside.

TX

F312

Reaction score
Sounds like your not wasting anytime getting into this guitar, good stuff.

Ralph

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sounds like your not wasting anytime getting into this guitar, good stuff.

Ralph

I just happened to be fondling it when I saw your post. Made me curious. Thanks :love-struck:

TX

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That is really something, tx. Congratulations!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Jeffcoop! I am really enjoying the "Getting to know one another" time with this guitar. The more she gets played the more she starts to sing. The overtones are so abundant that it is fooling my clip on tuner from time to time when tuning it, LOL.

TX

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
well, i am not a fan of the stars nor the bridge shape. i do like his head stocks and the body trim is sweet. Congrats!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
When you start posting sound clips, please post something in an open tuning -I'd love hear what that sounds like.

I'll try Gj but believe it or not I have never played open tuning on a regular guitar. I'll have to do some searching to put something together.

TX