wireless for guitar to amp

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I just bought one of these off Amazon (it's a pair - one transmitter, one receiver). For $40 I had to give it a try. I do like to plug in, and plugging in without my long guitar cord that kinks up all the time sounds like a great idea. Reviews are pretty good. Looks like free 2-day delivery, as it reportedly arrives tomorrow. I'll let you know how I like it....

61fm%2Bbf0f4L._SL1000_.jpg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool whats the latency specs ?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looking forward to the hands on. Lots of things that can interfere - fluorescent lights, dimmers, microwaves, WiGi, cordless phones, etc. but more modern equipment is much better.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Reviews report quite good. Oh, now I see it's <12ms. Not bad, I guess....

You'll be fine with that . Kind of wish I plugged my acoustics in now lol

But I don't play out or for anyone so ......
I retubed my new amp and have yet to plug in. lol

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This could save me a lot of trouble for when I plug a guitar in. But the amp stays in the bathroom facing out to the living room to keep it from feeding back. I wonder if this would work through the half closed door to my bedroom? I know, it's a weird situation.....

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
This could save me a lot of trouble for when I plug a guitar in. But the amp stays in the bathroom facing out to the living room to keep it from feeding back. I wonder if this would work through the half closed door to my bedroom? I know, it's a weird situation.....

Is this about the new apartment with that "oh so nice" neighbour ?
I can see you putting amp on his side and then playing behind closed doors - tuning more or less off might improve the effect :triumphant:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Is this about the new apartment with that "oh so nice" neighbour ?
I can see you putting amp on his side and then playing behind closed doors - tuning more or less off might improve the effect :triumphant:

Drum machine. Don't forget the drum machine.
On "Techno".

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Looking forward to the hands on. Lots of things that can interfere....

Well, it works, but interference is indeed a problem. It's got a high-pitched background hum. My amp's near my computer, so that may be it. I put the computer to sleep - made no difference. My cell phone was nearby - I should have moved that away to see if that made a difference. I guess I didn't give it a thorough test. :stupid: I had to "re-tune" the amp, reduce the gain and bass, but I sort of have to do that anyway going from one guitar to another. Of course, I didn't hear the hum when playing, but I sure do when not playing.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Well, it works, but interference is indeed a problem. It's got a high-pitched background hum. My amp's near my computer, so that may be it. I put the computer to sleep - made no difference. My cell phone was nearby - I should have moved that away to see if that made a difference. I guess I didn't give it a thorough test. :stupid: I had to "re-tune" the amp, reduce the gain and bass, but I sort of have to do that anyway going from one guitar to another. Of course, I didn't hear the hum when playing, but I sure do when not playing.

Do you have wireless internet?
It's always on even when 'puter's asleep, right?
Also, "asleep" isn't the same as "shut down or "no power", right?
It might still be emitting RF in a freq that the receiver picks up, or the amp itself for that matter, but in counterpoint the FCC introduced new rules for allowable RF emissions back in early '90's I think it was, when home PCs ownership was exploding and they were found to be frequent offenders.
Also a problem with the early wireless telephones, most often noticed in TV interference.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
When I was trying to track down hum that a pickup was getting, in addition to cell phone, microwave, cordless phone, computer and WiFi I actually had detectable hum when the washer in the basement and half the house away was running. That said, not all of the hum was loud enough to be heard when I was playing.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not related to this issue, but some led lights hum like the Dickens. Some when they are cold and some when they warm up.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Do you have wireless internet?

Of course. That's a definite possibility. I'm going to move my amp into another room and try that. Tomorrow. I'm beat after that hockey game. Yay St. Louis!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
That too. It's a Vox AD30VT with 11 effects and 11 amp models. I'll strip out the reverb and see how that does....

Not the reverb ! Nooooooooooooooo ! Lol

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Naturally your amp has three prong cable and is plugged into grounded outlet ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I thought, "uh-oh." This is an old house. But I'll be darned, it actually is.
Just to "go by the book" and check off the potential suspects, let's also assume that the wiring is in fact also properly installed, ie grounded.
Part 2 of that is that typically what leaks through wiring is "60 cycle hum" which I discounted due to your description as "high-pitched".
Higher freqs can also be transmitted through wiring; why I started off with the computer and wireless internet "transceiver".
Those freqs could be picked up by the amp without coming in through the power cord.
Satellite dish?
Amp power cord or amp itself close to the cable?