what is this Guild bass

merlin6666

Reaction score
Yesterday at my local guitar store I noticed this really cool looking Guild bass hanging at the consignment wall. He must have just got it in as there was no label or price on it. I just had a quick look and it seemed to have very low action and apparently wooden saddles. So what kind of a Guild bass is this, when were they built and what kind of music are they most suited for? Also it does not look huge or intimidating so wonder if this has a shorter scale? Oh and what would be a good price for this (looks in great shape, very few scratches)

get-photo.asp

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
JS-I short scale (30"). Early 70s vintage?

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
In addition to what was posted above I'd add that to me it looks like the finish was removed as it should have been factory finished gloss.

(Now Hans will check in and correct me that Guild did some hand-rubbed oil finishes!)

I have one just like it:

100_6591.jpg

100_6596.jpg

100_6600.jpg

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Cool.... I never knew they made it on a single pickup form.

Last edited:

merlin6666

Reaction score
In addition to what was posted above I'd add that to me it looks like the finish was removed as it should have been factory finished gloss.

Yes I wondered about the finish, it certainly has a very natural feel, actually quite attractive. I always wanted a bass but never had use for one, though if this one is priced well I may just pick it up for the heck of it.

Last edited:

mellowgerman

Reaction score
The finish might actually be original. My 1971 JS-II had a very thin satin natural finish too (no gloss); the control and pickup cavities suggested it was original.
Super comfortable basses! The 70's Guild humbuckers are cool for that big woody boomy sound, which will definitely be the case with this one since it is the single neck-pickup version (JS-I).
If I saw one for under $600 in good shape I would consider it a great deal.

On a side-note, what is that hollowbody bass hanging in front of it? Looks very interesting and unlike anything I've seen

merlin6666

Reaction score
On a side-note, what is that hollowbody bass hanging in front of it? Looks very interesting and unlike anything I've seen

Didn't pay much attention, I think there was a Rickenbacker near it when I looked up at the heads but could have been the next in line.

mellowgerman

Reaction score
Didn't pay much attention, I think there was a Rickenbacker near it when I looked up at the heads but could have been the next in line.

The one behind it definitely is a Rick, but the maroon looking one in front of it looks really cool! Floating bridge, trapeze tailpiece, and some kind of white neck humbucker... looks like it might be a custom piece

merlin6666

Reaction score
The one behind it definitely is a Rick, but the maroon looking one in front of it looks really cool! Floating bridge, trapeze tailpiece, and some kind of white neck humbucker... looks like it might be a custom piece

Not necessarily a bass, could be a guitar maybe a Silvertone.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
To reiterate. Guild JS I - production dates will be within 1970-1977. Some of the JS I's have a different headstock treatment - I recall a gold decal rather than the Chesterfield and inlays. The pole pieces are flipped on some JS I's compared to the neck position on a JS II. I seem to recall a satin type of factory finish offered but could not say for certain that the pictured instrument was not refinished. There were long scale (34") JS II's but I'm not sure about a LS JS I. Regardless, the proportions in the photo suggest the 30.5" scale.

The pickups are an acquired taste, IMO. "muddy" is a common and uncomplimentary comment. I would use 'fat' or 'boomy'. I think the JS I always had the deep/hard toggle (a.k.a. suck switch) and you do get two different tones with it so there is some variety. It is not the "Fender" sound, nor does it have much in common with the Bisonic family. It is its own beast.

Every so often I get the JS II out of the case and play. Ergonomically I wonder why I don't play it more and then I listen to it and after a while understand why.

My fantasy is that me or my estate would get $1000 for an original owner 1971 JS II in VG condition but I don't think that is realistic. If there are no issues and a case $500 (US) +/- seems reasonable for the pictured instrument, especially if the buyer has heard it first and could do something with the sound.

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fro, I agree with your "acquired taste" description (it's friendlier than the previously quoted "meh") :laughing:

It's a nice little bass, but it's utilization range fits in a small niche.
I didn't remember you owning one... pics please?

Last edited:

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Getting back to the JSII utilization, I will add that I always had the feeling it would make a killer fretless, as it kinda already has this "boomy" low medium sound, almost "nasaly" if you catch my drift.
Thought about the conversion for a moment.....

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
To reiterate. Guild JS I - production dates will be within 1970-1977.

The JS I was discontinued in 1975. I used to own one, a 1972. the full range humbucker was, just, all kinds of bass. It did not sound bad but as others have posted, its kind of a one trick pony. The bass I had though, sounded phenomenal with the deep hard switch engaged to cut the bass. it was quite contained, and sounded like an upright. of course my biggest problem with the bass was switching the deep hard switch unintentionally while playing...which will certainly get the attention of pretty much anyone in the room. but...they are nice! I sold it when I found a JS II with a Bisonic and mini bucker.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
they must have made at least one fretless JS piece, if not a handfull, over all those years? Possibly even a long scale fretless JS.

Not that it means they didn't, but only recall ever seeing "Fretless" in combination with "Pilot", here.
Don't think the sound itself got popularized (with accompanying demand) until Jaco P. hit the scene, early '80's.

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Not that it means they didn't, but only recall ever seeing "Fretless" in combination with "Pilot", here.
Don't think the sound itself got popularized (with accompanying demand) until Jaco P. hit the scene, early '80's.

ive seen some fretless B-301 & B-302s, and a couple of acoustics (B-4, B-30). I would guess if a fretless JS bass surfaced it would be long scale, and there is a chance it would have the B-302 pickups (Guild DP-8 pickups), although I have seen LS JS's with the buckers.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
1971 catalog from here says stereo and/or 34" scale were options and the fretless versions were available. So the factory was willing to make them although we have no idea how many were made.

The way I read the catalog I would say that all JS I's are short scale but could be fretted or fretless but that is just my interpretation. And we know that the catalog doesn't always describe what was built :)