Just My Opinion....But

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I posted here that I bought one of the Guild special runs of D 40T Customs made for Sweetwater. I can tell you that without a doubt it is one of the finest guitars I've ever owned, regardless of brand. It is very light and packed with projection, volume and tone. On top of that it is downright gorgeous. I know many had concerns about the new owners in Oxnard and that's perfectly o.k. It's what makes life interesting. But I can tell you I have zero doubt that they have a good thing going there. I love all my D 40's and have mentioned often that it is one of my most favorite Guild models. But, this new one is a step above the others I own. The projection of this guitar is really impressive and makes me wonder what it will be after I've invested tons of play time into it.

I rarely feel this positive and this strongly about a new guitar purchase but consider me a happy Guilder.

PittPastor

Reaction score
As for me personally, I am rooting for Oxnard. It's true, there haven't been many reviews like the one you just gave, but I am hopeful that they get this right. Even if you are a vintage snob you have to hope that Oxnard succeeds because keeping the Guild name alive and relevant helps the value of those vintage guitars as well.

And, if you are saying this new guitar has a sound better than your vintages... wowzer! Can you imagine how it will sound in a few years when it opens up?

This is good news. I am happy to read it.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
They might be great, but the four examples on Sweetwater's site embody everything I don't like about sunbursts.

C183378-body-large.jpg

Looks like a bad Martin burst job. Too bad they don't seem to come in natural.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
They might be great, but the four examples on Sweetwater's site embody everything I don't like about sunbursts.

Yeah, the end of the teardrop toward the soundhole comes a bit too far for my taste.

Too bad they don't seem to come in natural.

That was my next question, so I guess Richard's is a burst. Major congrats either way, Richard!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh, now I see it. That's the one you got, Richard? Love that abalone rosette! :tiger:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, bursts are a really subjective thing, and it's OK if you like it Richard. I'm generally not crazy about them, but I like the one on my F50ce.

21146519149_c119537a53.jpg
See?? Like THAT!!! That's how you do a burst. But that's just my opinion. Richard if you're happy.... then I'm happy, okay? But Sandy if you ever part with that guitar, you know whom to call...... I just hope I have the money at the time....... <3

F312

Reaction score
See?? Like THAT!!! That's how you do a burst. But that's just my opinion. Richard if you're happy.... then I'm happy, okay? But Sandy if you ever part with that guitar, you know whom to call...... I just hope I have the money at the time....... <3

...and if Tom doesn't have the cash, I might.

Ralph

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
the four examples on Sweetwater's site embody everything I don't like about sunbursts.
That type of burst was specifically ordered by Sweetwater for that first custom model "D-40T DELUXE". I guess Sweetwater saw demand for it. I think this model is an excellent example for the first custom run in Oxnard and I am glad Richard like her!

0oJgWL5.jpg

The standard burst is available on the normal D-40 Traditional model. Everybody has a different taste.

vrES9OW.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total

...and if Tom doesn't have the cash, I might.

Ralph

I probably should part with one or more of my herd at this point, but they're all so good it's near impossible to decide which one(s). The F50ce is my only maple, only cutaway, and it does everything so well it would be very difficult to sell. And it's so damn pretty! Might be the best all-around guitar Guild ever made.

Cheab

Reaction score
I probably should part with one or more of my herd at this point, but they're all so good it's near impossible to decide which one(s). The F50ce is my only maple, only cutaway, and it does everything so well it would be very difficult to sell. And it's so damn pretty! Might be the best all-around guitar Guild ever made.

C'mon Sandy....give it up! lol

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Straight up, Sandy. NH did those F-50s best.

bobouz

Reaction score
Richard - Great to hear how impressed you are with the tonal qualities of this new Cordoba beauty. The highly positive reviews re the California facility's production capabilities continues to grow. It's a far cry from the NH transitioning period, when it seemed like a toss up as to whether another US-made Guild would ever see the light of day.

Well done - Congrats & Enjoy!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That type of burst was specifically ordered by Sweetwater for that first custom model "D-40T DELUXE". I guess Sweetwater saw demand for it. I think this model is an excellent example for the first custom run in Oxnard and I am glad Richard like her!

0oJgWL5.jpg

Ralf

While I'm also not generally a fan of 'bursts' either, having only a couple of colors I really like, and definitely dislike the "teardrop" shape, what I do take comfort in here is the consistency of all of those from piece to piece.
I recall some early complaints about lopsided bursts (M20's, I think?) so this is definitely progress, and am glad to see it.
It simply reinforces the comments about wanting to see the brand survive and that these might in fact be the best of the D40 breed.
Hopefully it bodes nothing but good for the future,

PittPastor

Reaction score
Richard - Well done - Congrats & Enjoy!

I think one thing that got missed is that without people like Richard, the Guild brand could be lost. Its good to see people who know the brand well supporting it not just with posts, but with dollars. Glad you got a winner! Cheers.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks for the information, Ralf. You're such a great resource on this forum. Good to know that this is a special run for Sweetwater and that a more traditional burst is available...... thank you!!! :encouragement: