1968 Guild Thunderbass issue

Oren Hudson

Reaction score
I've recently acquired the complete rig including the 2x15 cab. It's missing the entire attachment assembly for the handle mount head to cab deal. So - I'm looking for help on this, maybe some pics, or even better, the pieces themselves. Greatly appreciate your help. Thanks - Oren.

matsickma

Reaction score
I assume this series if Thunderbass has black tolex abd isn't the earlier two tone beige/woodgrain model.

It will be difficult to find the origional head aluminum stand-off hardware. You could made one or rig up an equivalent but you may not be pleased with the results.

I've had both the two tone and black tolex models and know why may people who have these amps remove the OEM mounting hardware.

First off...the mounting bracket on the Thunderbass head has a dual purpose being the handle. Second, with the head flipped around with the handle on the bottom of the head rubber feet are mounted in the top if the head. Third, you need to be careful nit to loose the special "thumb screw" hardware used to secure the head to the cab. And Fourth, when the head is mounted to the cab with the stock hardware it isn't very secure. It tends to "flop around" because the weight of the head and small footprint of the mounting hardware doesn't provide a stable base. Think of the stock Thunderbass head and Cab behaving like a giant "bobblehead" doll.

The later Guild Thunderbass amps, I think referenced as "1A" models abandoned the original mounting concept and began to install large rubber feet on the bottom if the head so you could just put it on top of the cab. The Thunderstar Bass cabinets actually had four recessions that matched the footprint of the heads feet. I never saw a late model Thunderbass cab but I assume they also had this recession feature.

M

Oren Hudson

Reaction score
Thanks M. It is the black tolex. I can understand the stability issues just by looking at how it is set up for the attachments. Both my head and cab have empty holes where the hardware has been removed. Cool looking concept in pics that I've seen, but apparently not so cool to try and use that setup. I did notice that the cab appears to be top heavy even with the head not up on stilts.

BTW - do you have access to schematics?

Thanks again for your answers.

Oren

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks M. It is the black tolex. I can understand the stability issues just by looking at how it is set up for the attachments. Both my head and cab have empty holes where the hardware has been removed. Cool looking concept in pics that I've seen, but apparently not so cool to try and use that setup. I did notice that the cab appears to be top heavy even with the head not up on stilts.

BTW - do you have access to schematics?

Thanks again for your answers.

Oren
As Steve said, Prowess has some of the variants. Which version do you have? (The tubes are the key.) I may be able to fill in some gaps on one of the 8417 versions.

Oren Hudson

Reaction score
A follow up - my amp guy told me that the head needed the expected cap job. He also said that the schematics that I gave him from Prowess is not for the no regulated power supply amp like I have. Any help and advice would be appreciated.

I've also completed making a replacement back panel for the cab since it didn't have it. I wanted to go the upgrade route and put JBL D 140's in it. I'm having trouble finding black and white speaker wire in a 16/18 gage to duplicate original. Any thoughts for this also appreciated.

Can't wait to get this all finished and actually get to use it!