1971 Guild JSBassII

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a schematic and any info about this bass serial #52540.
They do not have any info at Guild for older instruments. I will greatly appreciate any help. Thanks.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. Which pickups? I'm guessing the humbuckers but...

https://goo.gl/photos/DmLRqHjhUqsvugvD6

Link is to Google Photos and embedding them here is a PITA. Link has two hand drawn schematics and two pictures of the control cavity from my '71 JS II which has a serial number about 2,000 higher than yours.

Not sure what constitutes "any and all information" but... This is off the top of my head and subject to correction from folks with better memories.

The slightly asymmetric double cutaway shape of the JS first appeared circa 1970. It was discontinued circa 1977. There is a guitar with the same body shape - S-100? The earliest JS IIs has some pickup variations. We have seen the JS body with two Hagstrom Bisonics and with a neck Bisonic and a different Hagstrom PU that doesn't really have a name. These variations are all in 1970. There have been a couple examples from the late 1970's where the body is a JS but the pickguard(!) pickups and controls are those of the successor model, the B-302. By 1971 the pickups had standardized to a pair of Guild Humbuckers. There was a single pickup version (JS I) and there are some stereo JS II's and some long scale (34") instruments as well. Circa 1974 there were some models with carved oak leaves and acorns on the top. There was a previous bass, with a different shape, called the JetStar. The JS and the JetStar really are two different models but even Guild called a couple of JS basses JetStars as late as 1974. I have no recollection of what wood was used. I know of a black, natural and walnut finish but there were probably others. In 1971 the case was a separate item and the case Guild sold you was a rectangular case, typical for solid bodies.

Lots of discussion, especially concerning the "deep/hard" switch, often inaccurately called the suck switch. I attempted to explain the circuit and was politely, but firmly told I didn't know what I was talking about and was corrected. If your search fu doesn't work and you are interested I'm sure someone can find some of the discussions.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The earliest JS IIs has some pickup variations. We have seen the JS body with two Hagstrom Bisonics and with a neck Bisonic and a different Hagstrom PU that doesn't really have a name. These variations are all in 1970

the "different Hagstrom PU that doesnt really have a name" is actually one of 2 variations, either a Hagstrom mini- humbucker, or a Hagstrom mini single coil that sounds just like the Bisonic...as such is aka "pre-sonic" to some of us

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
the "different Hagstrom PU that doesnt really have a name" is actually one of 2 variations, either a Hagstrom mini- humbucker, or a Hagstrom mini single coil that sounds just like the Bisonic...as such is aka "pre-sonic" to some of us

There is this one, or something quite like it, which was used on some early Starfires, for sure. Perhaps on some JetStars as well? But I have no recollection of seeing one on a 1970 or later Guild.

hagstrom_concord_9.jpg

Then there is this one, which I have seen in the bridge position of some basses in the 1970 timeframe. I had a pair, HappyFace tried them in a project and returned them. I gave them to a friend who put them in a bass of his. He was happy but also not someone who pursues the Bisonic sound.

ywrfhu9d7csk86tu9wdp.jpg

The above is the one I have seen on a JS. I didn't mention the other because I thought it was earlier than a JS.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total

Happy Face

Justified Ancient of MuMu
Reaction score
Ossie - is this a project bass? An empty hull? Or is it already wired?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There is this one, or something quite like it, which was used on some early Starfires, for sure. Perhaps on some JetStars as well? But I have no recollection of seeing one on a 1970 or later Guild.

hagstrom_concord_9.jpg

have seen that on ONE 1970 JS-II in the bridge, w bisonic in the neck. the Hagstrom "pre-sonic"