Good Pete Townshend video interview...pretty funny and interesting

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I am a fan of most of Pearl Jam's stuff, but it's sort of ironic that they "stood up to corporations", and yet they ARE a corporation!

walrus

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
i was more of a nirvana fan than pearl jam. both great bands. but like most things, just kind of got sick of the music...

JF-30

Reaction score
I saw PJ in Hawaii when I was in the Coast Guard. Great show, but they became a bunch of mouth pieces. I'm 53 and do not need rock stars to tell me what is good and bad in this world and could not give a rip about their political opinions. Like that saying we all got one.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I saw PJ in Hawaii when I was in the Coast Guard. Great show, but they became a bunch of mouth pieces. I'm 53 and do not need rock stars to tell me what is good and bad in this world and could not give a rip about their political opinions. Like that saying we all got one.

images

JF-30

Reaction score
I said it was a great show. Some one needs to be the voice of reason. I like going to concerts not political rally's. And when those band give me something to be positive about I will give them props.

Can you imaging if CSNY were are still speaking to one and other and still touring how much music to anti-Trump (not that I am for or against him) banter the concert would be?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I said it was a great show. Some one needs to be the voice of reason.
Oh it was tongue in cheek and maybe I'm just overly sensitive from having an attack of "mellow-itis"
But I thought I saw a trend with:
Like that saying we all got one.
Why don't you try beating the piss out of the drums like he did for 40+ years and see how you hold up.
Maybe it's just because I can't hear the verbal inflection of a live voice belying a humorous message behind some verbiage that some folks would define as "aggressive".
I actually got no qualms with your opinion, and only landed on them because when I searched for a Letterman image that one came up, and I actually didn't know (or at least remember) they had been inducted but it just fit the theme of the thread.
I love Ten to death but a lot of their stuff stuff doesn't do a thing for me.
But apparently my attempt at absurd humor based on the concept of picking a favorite band based on how long one had to wait in line at the porto-sans at one of their shows, fell flat on its face.
Musta been my deadpan delivery.
:glee:

JF-30

Reaction score
Oh it was tongue in cheek and maybe I'm just overly sensitive from having an attack of "mellow-itis"
But I thought I saw a trend with:

Maybe it's just because I can't hear the verbal inflection of a live voice belying a humorous message behind some verbiage that some folks would define as "aggressive".
I actually got no qualms with your opinion, and only landed on them because when I searched for a Letterman image that one came up, and I actually didn't know (or at least remember) they had been inducted but it just fit the theme of the thread.
I love Ten to death but a lot of their stuff stuff doesn't do a thing for me.
But apparently my attempt at absurd humor based on the concept of picking a favorite band based on how long one had to wait in line at the porto-sans at one of their shows, fell flat on its face.

I loved Ten when it came out. They opened with Release when I saw them. I love that song. It has a cool vibe to it. You could not escape PJ on Oahu when it came out. The local alt radio station Radio Free Hawaii (did they steal that form REM) played it to death. I liked a lot of Vs and then Vitalogy made me go WTF is this.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I loved Ten when it came out. They opened with Release when I saw them. I love that song. It has a cool vibe to it. I liked a lot of Vs and then Vitalogy made me go WTF is this.

Me too. Funny thing 20 years later I finally "get" "Daughter", musically.
It was NOT my cup of tea when it was new.
Are they even still touring or are they one of the ones how got out while the getting was good?

JF-30

Reaction score
Me too. Funny thing 20 years later I finally "get" "Daughter", musically.
It was NOT my cup of tea when it was new.
Are they even still touring or are they one of the ones how got out while the getting was good?

Daughter was over played to death and Jeremy as well. For the longest time I had no idea what Eddie was singing on that song. Then I realized he was singing "Jeremy Spoke In Class Today". It took me years to finally hear what he was mumbling.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My fav PJ songs are early off-cuts like Wash (from the Ten sessions, played at most shows c. '91 & '92) and Hard To Imagine (VS outtake). They were a killer live band too back when Eddie was climbing the lighting rigs during songs & such. Vitalogy is a quirky album but the songs have held up well for me. I also still like Yield.

Keep in mind most of what I listen to now falls under the "experimental electronica" label. When I play guitar I'm usually accompanying my own sequenced synth loops or longer pieces. This may explain my love of '80s Rush. And Lifehouse-era Who too.

"Ugghh, what's with this synth crap Geddy's playing?!"

Me: "OB-X! Count me in!!"

-Dave-

JF-30

Reaction score
Once I wasted my hard earned cash on Vitalogy I never came back to their camp.

Hey Foxy Mop Handled Momma. What What?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

More like a "bedpan" delivery on that one! :hopelessness:

Daughter was over played to death and Jeremy as well. For the longest time I had no idea what Eddie was singing on that song. Then I realized he was singing "Jeremy Spoke In Class Today". It took me years to finally hear what he was mumbling.

+1 on Vedder's tendency to mumble.

I assume everyone knows, but just in case. Based on a true story, Jeremy didn't really "speak" anything, he "spoke" by committing suicide in class.

Songs like "Jeremy", "Daughter", "Better Man", and others are pretty intense given their subject matter. They are weird songs to sing along with!

BTW, here's a clip of a demo of "Daughter" on a tour bus. Pretty sure that's a Guild acoustic. Brief glimpses at 20 seconds, and again at the very end:

walrus