Good Pete Townshend video interview...pretty funny and interesting

JF-30

Reaction score
Saw The Who with Keith Moon at the Pontiac Silverdome in early '75 with 80,000 other people. Largest indoor concert to date but that record has likely been surpassed since.

Then we saw them earlier this year, 44 years later, and I gotta say, they weren't bad. Pete was still jamming out on the guitar and more surprisingly, Daltry was hitting most of the high notes and his voice was strong. Still very entertaining.

Saw them in '82 (before everyone had a million retirements and comebacks, their "Farewell Tour". It was okay. Saw them at a Day On The Green in Oakland, CA with The Clash. At the time (I am now) I was not a Clash fan, and at the time I did not want to admit it but The Clash IMHO were better that day. Pete looked like he was a member of The Thompson Twins. Pete put the Strat down. Get your Ric or numbered Les Paul Dlx out and f-ing rock again.

My friends just saw them a few months back in SF and said it was not bad.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Two comments. Check out Rival Sons. I posted about their use of Guilds earlier. But Guilds or not, this one of only a few bands of today that rock that I like a lot.

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/sh...ses-quot-with-two-Guilds&highlight=rival+sons

Second, regarding these bands touring - any of them, one hit wonders, the old "greats", etc. Whenever you (or I) personally might feel they stopped doing "quality" stuff (and we all have different opinions of that), what are they supposed to do? They just happen to be professional musicians, like you might be a mailman, or an accountant, or a college professor. It's their "job". So they keep doing it the best they can. And I imagine they need the money. Do they have health care? A retirement uind? I'm not talking about McCartney, etc, but all the bands we have heard over the years that may not be as wealthy.

I totally agree with not caring for bands that have only one or a few original members left. Or put out albums that may or may not suck. I reserve the right not to buy their stuff or go to their shows, but they have the right to keep playing and (perhaps) write new music.

walrus

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, I forgot to add this - much like I always respected Led Zeppelin for stopping when Bonham died, I saw John McLaughlin (jazz fusion guitarist) and his band a few years ago. It was his farewell tour as he felt he could not play up to his own high standards any more. His standards are pretty high, because he was still awesome, but that's an attitude that not many of these artists have.

Oh, and Rush too! They can't play like they used to, so they quit. Although they are financially set for life, so maybe it's not a great example.

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score
BTW, I forgot to add this - much like I always respected Led Zeppelin for stopping when Bonham died, I saw John McLaughlin (jazz fusion guitarist) and his band a few years ago. It was his farewell tour as he felt he could not play up to his own high standards any more. His standards are pretty high, because he was still awesome, but that's an attitude that not many of these artists have.

Oh, and Rush too! They can't play like they used to, so they quit. Although they are financially set for life, so maybe it's not a great example.

walrus

How many times has Zep reunited since Bonzo died? I believe the number is 4 and Page wanted to do it again for their 50th, but thanks to Percy having sense and told Page "No Way". Never seen Zep live but every live thing I have ever heard doesn't impress me and I love Zep. Out Door was garbage. All My Love was song to hold hands to while roller skating.

And you are right a musician job is to make music. And me as a fan and consumer, I decide weather I am going to lay down my hard earned cash to see them or buy their music. It is sad that old rockers are strutting around embarrassing them selves. I saw The Stones in '82. Worst concert I ever attended. Mick is in his 70's now and its sad. They need 40 extra musician on stage to even make it sound half way decent. The Stones next tour is the Hip Replacement Tour

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
Double Post delete

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
How many times has Zep reunited since Bonzo died? I believe the number is 4 and Page wanted to do it again for their 50th, but thanks to Percy having sense and told Page "No Way". Never seen Zep live but every live thing I have ever heard doesn't impress me and I love Zep. Out Door was garbage. All My Love was song to hold hands to while roller skating.

I agree about "In Through the Out Door". That's what happens Page when is uninvolved and relatively uninterested.

Reunited only 4 times isn't too bad considering all the money they are leaving on the table! "Celebration Day" is the only decent reunion - at least they practiced for it. I have to admit, although the whole concert is not their best, the versions of "Ramble On" and "Kashmir" are heavy favorites of mine - love Page's guitar sound on those.

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score
I really like most of Presence but it was not a good idea for Page to start doing smack. Heroine is always a bad choice.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
I agree about "In Through the Out Door". That's what happens Page when is uninvolved and relatively uninterested.

Reunited only 4 times isn't too bad considering all the money they are leaving on the table! "Celebration Day" is the only decent reunion - at least they practiced for it. I have to admit, although the whole concert is not their best, the versions of "Ramble On" and "Kashmir" are heavy favorites of mine - love Page's guitar sound on those.

walrus

Kashmir is getting like Stairway for me. I'm getting sick of hearing it, but PG is my favorite Zep LP. And I have it on vinyl, 2 copies, and a CD of it too. My original and the new remastered one.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
BTW, one artist that should be mentioned in this veer is Robert Plant. Technically a "dinosaur", but he has reinvented himself so many times that he really doesn't fit. Talk about a diverse solo career! This guy does not stop moving forward!

Not enough space to post all the things he's done since Zeppelin, including his Grammy winning album with Alison Krauss. Just do a youtube search if you are interested. His takes on Zeppelin songs with a Moroccan flavor are great!

walrus

crank

Reaction score
There is an HBO doc about Rush's last tour. I got the impression they stopped because Neal pert said no mas because he physically wasn't able to do it anymore. The other guys would still be touring.

Saw the Who last summer and it was a good show.

All these old bands that continue playing, touring, recording are an inspiration to guys like me who are still out there playing local venues.

Pete likes to say stuff that gives others pause. He also likes to say **** and ****ing a lot. He can still play.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
There is an HBO doc about Rush's last tour. I got the impression they stopped because Neal pert said no mas because he physically wasn't able to do it anymore. The other guys would still be touring.

Saw the Who last summer and it was a good show.

All these old bands that continue playing, touring, recording are an inspiration to guys like me who are still out there playing local venues.

Pete likes to say stuff that gives others pause. He also likes to say **** and ****ing a lot. He can still play.

yeah, for Rush it was about Pert. And he lost his wife and daughter in the same year or something like that, and he took a couple years off riding motorcycle across country, just figuring it all out. i cannot imagine that pain. i like it when artists just hand it up, say no more, done with it. i bet it gets old faster than we realize.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
yeah, for Rush it was about Pert. And he lost his wife and daughter in the same year or something like that, and he took a couple years off riding motorcycle across country, just figuring it all out. i cannot imagine that pain. i like it when artists just hand it up, say no more, done with it. i bet it gets old faster than we realize.

...also Lifeson - arthritis in his hands.

FYI, if anyone likes travel books, and/or motorcycles, and/or bicycles, and/or Rush, ANY of Neil Peart's books are highly recommended!

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score

FYI, if anyone likes travel books, and/or motorcycles, and/or bicycles, and/or Rush, ANY of Neil Peart's books are highly recommended!

walrus
Seen Rush 8 times, but lets be honest their last great LP was Pictures(my first Rush show). After that it was the 80's and man Ged loved those synths(and not in a good way). Dude your the singer and bassist not the Flock Of Seagulls guy. They had some good stuff on the last couple LP's, but nothing that impressed my like their heyday.

Why don't you try beating the piss out of the drums like he did for 40+ years and see how you hold up.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score

walrus

Rush just released a Book about their entire touring history. I sent it to my best friend for a Xmas present. Can't wait to see it. Last year I got him Geddy's Bass Book. My friend is a bassist and saw them on 2112. Thanks for rubbing that in my face Steve.

JF-30

Reaction score
Those are great LP's. Really they never went down under. If I was huge like them I would be touring over there with extended days off. Especially when you were as big as they were at the end and were now touring in style instead of in vans. I guess it cost a ton to ship all that gear and the crew there. Plus at the end The Professor drove his motorcycle to the next gig to get peace of mind after his losses. Its hard to drive a motorcycle in the ocean.

As a cruel twist of fate after I got out of the US Navy the next deployment was when my ship went to Oz. Oh well, I've been to the Philippines and Thailand and after leaving had a smile on my face you could not chisel off.

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1 on not caring much for the "synth" albums.

But I liked "Snakes and Arrows" a lot, and read the "Clockwork Angels" book Peart co-wrote at the same time I had the album in heavy rotation. That was actually pretty cool. Saw them on that tour - my only time! "The Garden" from that album is one of my favorite Rush tunes.

walrus

JF-30

Reaction score
+1 on not caring much for the "synth" albums.

But I liked "Snakes and Arrows" a lot, and read the "Clockwork Angels" book Peart co-wrote at the same time I had the album in heavy rotation. That was actually pretty cool. Saw them on that tour - my only time! "The Garden" from that album is one of my favorite Rush tunes.

walrus
I saw them on Pictures, Grace, Power, Hold, 30th, Time Machine, Clockwork & 40th (Final Tour). Missed A few tours due to being in the Navy and not caring about the lousy albums they made. A few of those tours I saw were really bad albums (Hold Your Fire and Power Windows were absolutely atrocious albums, looking back now Grace Under Pressure is marginal). I did not even know that they came for S & A until I saw someone wearing a concert T. That album was not bad. I loved Headlong Flight from Clockwork (they had a string section during the second half of the show). Rush were never afraid to do what ever they wanted. The last 3 tours I saw with my wife. She loves Rush and loves it even more that she does not have to wait in line for the bathroom at a Rush show.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
loves it even more that she does not have to wait in line for the bathroom at a Rush show.

#1 on list of top ten reasons for being a favorite band.

letterman-guitar.jpg

From his tribute speech inducting Pearl Jam into the R&R HoF, 2017:
“And because they did, because they stood up to the corporations I’m happy to say, ladies and gentleman, today every concert ticket in the United States of America is free.”