Good Pete Townshend video interview...pretty funny and interesting

JF-30

Reaction score
The new Abbey Road anniversary remaster has some banter before they do a run through of "I Want You (She's So Heavy)". George Martin asks if they can turn it down, and John says why? One of the neighbors is complaining! And they are inside the studio by the way! It's actually pretty funny, it's within the first minute:

walrus

On the Abbey Road 50th there is banter before one song where someone is saying "Who the F do you think you are?"

Yeah who the hell is complaining at that hour. Where do you live next door to EMI Studios? And one of the worlds premiere recording studios is not sound proofed.

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I haven't seen a "legacy" band/artist live since Brian Wilson in 2004, and that was mainly 'cuz he & band were playing his version of Smile in its entirety. Glad I went…it was a really good show.

Pete said in a recent PBS interview that one reason, maybe the main one, why he's still doing Who tours is to financially help out long-time members of the broader Who organization and also members of his own family. I can appreciate this, even if it doesn't motivate me to a buy a concert ticket.

-Dave-

JF-30

Reaction score
I just did my ancestry.com and damn I related to Pete. I'm here Pete, I'll get in touch with your people and give them my address to where you can sent the check.

I certainly don't mind a band touring if you got something good to promote, but most dinosaurs make albums as an excuse to tour (or they are so big like The Who and The Stones they can go out when ever they want and people will eat it up) and most times the album is garbage. I've read a lot of reviews and people say this is their best album since Quad. I did a listen to all the songs and man IMHO its garbage like everything else they have put out since Face dances to the current day.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I just did my ancestry.com and damn I related to Pete. I'm here Pete, I'll get in touch with your people and give them my address to where you can sent the check.

I certainly don't mind a band touring if you got something good to promote, but most dinosaurs make albums as an excuse to tour (or they are so big like The Who and The Stones they can go out when ever they want and people will eat it up) and most times the album is garbage. I've read a lot of reviews and people say this is their best album since Quad. I did a listen to all the songs and man IMHO its garbage like everything else they have put out since Face dances to the current day.

and Face Dances was pretty terrible :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
More, form the Vulture interview of the man who directed Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus. I find this stuff fascinating...

To pass some time I remember going backstage into a dressing-room area and looking through a door, and together in a room were Pete Townshend, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, and Eric Clapton hanging out and playing their guitars with Keith Moon playing with spoons on the table. I remember thinking this was a perfect image for the best of rock and roll. Of course they were rivals, but they staggered their releases so they weren’t in direct competition with each other. They wanted to be the best and were all competition. But they were great friends. Rock and Roll Circus couldn’t have been put together if everyone wasn’t part of a mutual-admiration society. If I had a Polaroid camera, that’s an image I would’ve taken and saved.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I certainly don't mind a band touring if you got something good to promote, but most dinosaurs make albums as an excuse to tour (or they are so big like The Who and The Stones they can go out when ever they want and people will eat it up) and most times the album is garbage.

At some point you just have to get used to the possibility that the dinosaurs don't care about the people who aren't coming to their concerts because there are other people who will gladly pay big bucks. You also have to accept that, for some other people, hearing the music they listened to as teenagers, live and in concert as mature adults, is worth it. Indeed they don't want to hear "new stuff".

And let's not forget all those bands who had a few hits in the 60's and 70's and are still touring today - no new material, no original members but just someone who still owns the rights trying to cash in on past glory and make a living playing music, usually on the county fair circuit.

JF-30

Reaction score
I am one who has no patience for bands resting on their laurels. If you are a huge famous band with great albums and now you are just churning out junk as an excuse to tour I'm now supporting that no matter how big of a fan I am. Its my money and their not getting it for putting out trash.

Case in point Yes. I love (a lot of) Yes. Their first 2 albums were good and then Howe arrived on the scene and they became a different band and the '71 - '81 is my favorite era of the band. Yes did very little filler on those albums. Tales From Topographic Oceans was a overly pompous disaster and I rarely listen to it. When they came out with 90125783 or whatever that junk was and the trash they have put out since, I lost interest and do not listen to that era and will not see them live with Zero and I mean Zero original members in the band.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
and Face Dances was pretty terrible :)

Yep and Its Hard was worse and then it just got worse and worse. Pete please stop embarrassing your legacy. It must be nice to have a job where you can put out absolute trash yet you have team of people patting you on the back and telling you how great you are and how great your new album is even when they know its t-rash.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
When they came out with 90125783 or whatever that junk was and the trash they have put out since, I lost interest and do not listen to that era and will not see them live with Zero and I mean Zero original members in the band.

LOL, that album was terrible! My uncle took my brother to the show during that tour but I said I did not want to go :)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yep and Its Hard was worse and then it just got worse and worse. Pete please stop embarrassing your legacy. It must be nice to have a job where you can put out absolute trash yet you have team of people patting you on the back and telling you how great you are and how great your new album is even when they know its t-rash.

to be fair though, pop music right now is mostly crap. lots of autotune, etc...

JF-30

Reaction score
to be fair though, pop music right now is mostly crap. lots of autotune, etc...

I don't listen to crap. You could play any of the top 30 songs in the USA today and I'll bet I don't have a clue who 99.99% of them are. Over the past few months I have been jamming Zappa, Abbey Road 50th, Father John Misty, Iron And Wine and Jason Isbell. I rarely if ever listen to the radio. If I do its XM on the Beatles, Dead (Grateful, not the atrocity with John Mayer, that shameless cash grab to milk every last cent out of the old hippies) or Classic Vinyl stations.

Last edited:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't listen to crap. You could play any of the top 30 songs in the USA today and I'll bet I don't have a clue who 99.99% of them are. Over the past few months I have been jamming Zappa, Abbey Road 50th, Father John Misty, Iron And Wine and Jason Isbell. I rarely if ever listen to the radio. If I do its XM on the Beatles, Dead or Classic Vinyl stations.

i dont either but the company i work for pipes in iheart radio pop music into the bathroom. there is no way to shut it off, unless i start going outside. which has crossed my mind. :)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I rarely if ever listen to the radio. If I do its XM on the Beatles, Dead (Grateful, not the atrocity with John Mayer, that shameless cash grab to milk every last cent out of the old hippies) or Classic Vinyl stations.
See, ya gotta be willing to wait for the good surprises and that only happens if you listen to stuff you don't know yet.
FWIW I do get the best surprises from college stations and my favorite jazz station, KCSM which can be heard on the net.
And yeah the best stuff on the college stations is not always played during my ideal listening times.

i dont either but the company i work for pipes in iheart radio pop music into the bathroom. there is no way to shut it off, unless i start going outside. which has crossed my mind. :)
You could claim workplace hazard of sound pollution.
In fact maybe even health hazard since it can be shown that certain audio stimuli cause constipation.
Heck on the other end of the scale, so to speak, there's even the notorious "brown note"
Demand access to a port-o-san until the problem is rectified!

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score

At least for only a few minuets 3 or 4 times a day at work do you have to endure that rubbish.

JF-30

Reaction score
I just looked at what the internet told me are the 40 greatest ROCK songs of the years. I heard exactly none of those songs and have only heard of about 7 or 8 of the performers. I have heard of them and don't listen to them, but are "Panic! At The Disco" rock or is it music to be pansexual to. They had 3 songs in the top 40 and also were at #1. I really hate them.

Hey adorshki where in the Bay (not what I call it) Area do you live. I grew up in San Hole and went to Pioneer High School. I used to listen to KOME when Dennis Erectus was a DJ and KFOG and KSJO. Not even sure if they are stations any more. I now live on the East Coast in Ginny and loath this state. I miss Cali.

Last edited:

JF-30

Reaction score
My parents at least listen to music that was good, and let me listen the junk I liked (Kiss, Zep, Derringer, The Beatles). They were huge Elvis and N. Diamond fans. Saw Neil with my mom both times I saw him live (once at The Cow Palace if it is even there and The Shoreline Amp).

Last edited:

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Saw The Who with Keith Moon at the Pontiac Silverdome in early '75 with 80,000 other people. Largest indoor concert to date but that record has likely been surpassed since.

Then we saw them earlier this year, 44 years later, and I gotta say, they weren't bad. Pete was still jamming out on the guitar and more surprisingly, Daltry was hitting most of the high notes and his voice was strong. Still very entertaining.