Low output fishman under saddle pickup

Reaction score
I have a bandmate with a Guild acoustic/electric. I run sound on this guitar direct through the board. I can’t get a loud enough volume on this instrument without setting the channel gain high(a lot past unity). This is with the guitar’s volume control and channel slider nearly maxed. The volume output level at this point is just ok. Any increase in channel gain to mix the sound properly results in signal breakup. I believe there to be a problem with the under saddle pickup as I do not think these settings should need to be so high. We have tried using a direct box and have had the same results. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
You don't mention the year/model of guitar or which Fishman transducer/preamp...if it's an active system first place to check is the battery...even if it was a new one...if the bottom of the saddle isn't perfectly level and in good contact with the transducer...some of the older models the jig that cut the slots in the saddle was off...a tech can check the preamp/jack/wiring connections...or it could be the wrong instrument/system for the job...you can try contacting a tech at Fishman as well...but if it's an older system you may as well plan on upgrading...tech doesn't age well...good luck...some of our tech smart members may see this and chime in.

Reaction score
Sorry, it’s a 240-E Limited. We have replaced the battery a number of times as well.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

In order to pinpoint the actual location of the problem - do you have a chance to try another guitar - even electric solidbody - with same guitar cord - DI-box - microphone cable into that same channel of that same mixing board?

I have OM-240CE - I assume your friend's guitar is also Westerly Collection Series - Made in China - so it has same pickup and preamp as mine. Mine puts out a LOT of level - last night on gig I had to use the less sensitive input of my old Fender tube amp to avoid overdriving the input.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Good, Nuuska saw this...was about to suggest you contact him...he's a pro FOH engineer.

Guild's website has the electronics listed as:

Guild/Fishman AP1 with Sonicore pickup, Volume and Tone controls w/combination battery box/output jack

It is listed as a Westerly on Guild's site.

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Double posting - deleted - due to some internet latency or . . .

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The Fishman/Guild AP-1 Active Piezo Acoustic Pickup:

d9fsoccwyfvqafw0liee.jpg

Ralf

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had a Fishman under-the-saddle (passive) pickup installed in my D25M years ago. It wasn't working too well either, I was running it through a Fishman belt pack preamp and it still needed to be maxed out. The sound guys were always perplexed. Took it to my luthier and he said QUOTE: "This pickup is junk." He installed an LR Baggs under-the-saddle passive p/u and I've never had a problem since, and I don't even need to use a preamp. No more sound guy problems either.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

Must be a seriously bad quality unbalance in production.

Or like post #2 by Guild FS4612SE - there is something wrong abround the saddle.

What about slackening all strings and trying to feel if the saddle is free - i.e. not jamming in the slot.
It should be free without strings - and go down into slot easily.