NGD Crossroads

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
A CR01 is definitely on my list of rare Guilds to have. Congrats!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello

Do you know how far Peregrine and Songbird are from each other soundwise when plugged in?
Sheer speculation but I'm guessing extremely similar.
Peregrine was after all derived from Songbird, just no soundhole (and the thru-body strings):
Same outline, both have chambered 'hog bodies, but Peregrine was designed to excel at one particular task:
Giving true acoustic timbres without feedback while playing at stadium-level volumes (ideally by John Rzeznik).
John couldn't do that with his Songbirds.
Second - if the answer to first question is "no big difference" - then why not just get a Songbird and mount a humbucker in the soundhole? A floating pickguard could then be organized with few minimal screwholes . . . etc . .
I'm sure you remember Swiveltung did just that, quite elegantly, too, but there might be others reading who never saw his work:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?194909-Songbird-conversion
Unfortunately images are gone now, but the process is described.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi

My "almost reversible" idea of converting Songbird to Thru-Body-Strings goes like this:

- remove strings
- measure the distance inside between bridge-plate and bottom.
- cut two wedges of solid wood - together they are about 1mm thicker than the distance.
- place them inside under bridge-plate so that their center equals the centerline of pinholes.
- clamp them together so they squeeze tight between top and bottom.
- drill 6 holes through guitar using bridge pin holes as guides.
- insert metal sleeves with slight collars through backside into holes - they will keep te wedges secured if they are long enough to go through both wedges.
- remove clamps.
- restring - test and report.

If not happy - just clamp again to make removal of new parts easier - try not to look at them holes in the back - or just cover them with a cute kitten sticker.

Meanwhile I'm still waiting for more educated comparison between those two models. But I'm quite tempted to try this.

AL - I do remember Swiveltungs Songbird - even put my spoon into that thread, too.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'm generally against the idea of modifying a nice guitar, but as much as I enjoy the Peregrine I keep thinking it would be really cool if I could truly use it as a hybrid guitar - electric or acoustic at the touch of a switch. Not too sure about both at once, but it is something to consider. I'd try to do it as "invisible" as possible, too. Even thinking about matching red mahogany veneer over the pickup.

Regarding using both: one word 'impedance' … totally different requirements … Brian S., who developed the recent Fender TELE acoustic/electric's electronics, kindly shared some info/clues with me at NAMM as to how they solved the problem...a CPU, Ohm's Law, Parallel Circuits...he also was responsible for the Taylor T5 and Fishman's stacked PC Board PUPS...smart man.

The FS4612CE from the mid 80's that I have came with a factory modification/special order set up using a Mag PUP and a transducer...you can try and blend them but never the twain shall meet...nice try, anyway...and, no, I didn't order it that way...not the original owner...and, no, you can't balance it no matter what...around 15 years ago a tech tried to upgrade and balance the system...not possible with the technology at that time.

So, it's a lot more complex than simply turning both systems on...Nuuska likely knows more...would think that even with two different preamps and output jacks you would also require completely different chains to and including the amp...I just know matching impedance is a bear...and likely Richards nice new guitar, given it's age, is not going to be any more successfully able to blend the two systems...stuff may 'work', but how it sounds will be a totally different animal...especially if they are sharing the same pre amp.

Good luck.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello

Do you know how far Peregrine and Songbird are from each other soundwise when plugged in?

I have two reasons for asking.

First - I have been developing an ALMOST reversible way to convert my Songbird to Thru-body strings like Peregrine. Only irreversible thing would be those six holes in the back - if not happy. So - do you or anybody else know if there is a significant difference in plugged sound?

Second - if the answer to first question is "no big difference" - then why not just get a Songbird and mount a humbucker in the soundhole? A floating pickguard could then be organized with few minimal screwholes . . . etc . .

I don't know if there is a difference, Nuuska. I have no Songbird experience.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Regarding using both: one word 'impedance' … totally different requirements … Brian S., who developed the recent Fender TELE acoustic/electric's electronics, kindly shared some info/clues with me at NAMM as to how they solved the problem...a CPU, Ohm's Law, Parallel Circuits...he also was responsible for the Taylor T5 and Fishman's stacked PC Board PUPS...smart man.

The FS4612CE from the mid 80's that I have came with a factory modification/special order set up using a Mag PUP and a transducer...you can try and blend them but never the twain shall meet...nice try, anyway...and, no, I didn't order it that way...not the original owner...and, no, you can't balance it no matter what...around 15 years ago a tech tried to upgrade and balance the system...not possible with the technology at that time.

So, it's a lot more complex than simply turning both systems on...Nuuska likely knows more...would think that even with two different preamps and output jacks you would also require completely different chains to and including the amp...I just know matching impedance is a bear...and likely Richards nice new guitar, given it's age, is not going to be any more successfully able to blend the two systems...stuff may 'work', but how it sounds will be a totally different animal...especially if they are sharing the same pre amp.

Good luck.

Honestly, I can't imagine a need to have both pickups on at the same time in my playing situation. I envision having two separate signal signal chains. In my research today I learned that the CR01 DOES allow the blending of the two pickups. It uses an EMG so there may be some pre-amp trickery going on. Maybe Richard can elaborate after he spends some quality time with his.

krysh

Guildarist in the mod squad
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats Richard! Michael (krysh), matsickma and at least one more member have a CR01 as well. Seems to be a rare club!
Ralf
Nope, I traded mine a while ago. Great guitar, but I just never had a project where I could use it properly, so it had to go.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nope, I traded mine a while ago. Great guitar, but I just never had a project where I could use it properly, so it had to go.

krysh, to this day I still rue the fact that I did not buy yours when you had it for sale here on LTG several years ago. The black finish on that one was really beautiful!

Perhaps you can post a photo so Richard and others can check it out?

walrus

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nope, I traded mine a while ago.
Ah, I forgot.

The black finish on that one was really beautiful! Perhaps you can post a photo so Richard and others can check it out?
I only found a small one, the big one is held hostage by Photobucket...

images

Michael also told about a transparent red one in Germany, it is S/N 75:

$_59.JPG

This is #13, I don't know who owns here now:

upload_2019-1-11_14-58-21-jpeg.575866

Don't know the S/N:

CR01_body.jpg

Here's one Sam Ash had, an early single digit serial number:

tumblr_nz3n4gtbY91skwc57o3_1280.jpg

Another single digit, S/N 06:

body_4766.JPG

S/N 86:

32032.jpg

A wood grain red S/N 89 in Norway having a black EMG 89 in it. If that was original I don't know.

_1804647.jpg

Ralf

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Regarding the electronics in S/N 89 I read:
"It has electric and piezo acoustic pickups both active and powered by one 9v battery accessable through a back plate. They comprise an EMG 89 humbucker/single coil at the neck and a Fishman AG-125 piezo under-the-saddle acoustic in the bridge. Each has its own volume control. The electric volume pushes and pulls to select the humbucker or the single coil in the EMG 89. The acoustic volume control is a remotely mounted pot from an internally mounted Fishman AGP-2 preamp. Fishman designed the AGP-2 for side mounting with its attached controls in the top upper shoulder or bout of an acoustic. Instead, Guild hid it inside on a back plate. The AGP-2's treble and bass controls are still functional and attached to it, hidden under the plate. A master tone control sits next to the volume controls in a straight line on the top near the bottom lower bout and a 3 position toggle above the upper cutaway selects either pickup alone or combines the two. The control knobs are knurled chrome cylinders with the combined electric volume/coil switching push-pull knob knurled heavier than the others."

Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
krysh, to this day I still rue the fact that I did not buy yours when you had it for sale here on LTG several years ago. The black finish on that one was really beautiful!
If it helps lessen the pangs, think those had 1-5/8 nuts.
:friendly_wink: