Am I the only one...

Minnesota Flats

Reaction score
But...they left out the part where she contracts legionnaire's disease from the tainted water supply...

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I thought the same thing - not the song I would have chosen. For a cruise line? Maybe the water supply is tainted with LSD?

The members of the band must have needed the cash, assuming they own the rights to the song.

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I thought the same thing - not the song I would have chosen. For a cruise line?
Maybe the water supply is tainted with LSD?
Exactly.
Song's theme is nightmarish to boot.
"Off with her head" is not all fun and games...
The members of the band must have needed the cash, assuming they own the rights to the song.

walrus

Written by Grace while still in the Great Society; JA never owned rights as far as I know, but think Grace got writer royalties, band maybe gets performance royalties?
Guess it's possible they acquired rights at some point in time, though.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
A couple of us on FB were just talking about Grace Slicks good will towards ..... well, if liberal things and screwing the establishment for a cause isn't your thing, then PLEASE do not follow this link: GRACE SLICK AND CHICK-FIL-A from Rolling Stone.

Personally I think the ad was fun and progressive and if you don't like it then suck it up. They're selling cruises to youngsters and some not-so-youngsters and ... it's her song to sell. Do you understand how many people (young) will be curious and look up the song and then promote the fame even more?

Sorry, Al. It's an ad. Mute it and move on, okay?? People have money to make and there are cruises to sell. Worry about something a bit more upsetting..... I dunno... GLOBAL WARMING...... or is it warning...... damn!!

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What was the original message of the song?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Now that I played the ad, finally, it is not something that is going to get me interested in a cruise. Like many ads there is some ambiguity in what is being sold and chopping up and editing the song annoys me. That said, if you assume the song is a straight forward homage to the literary work by Lewis Carrol then the visuals do call up adventures in wonderland so I'd say I'm not the target rather than they missed whatever they were aiming at.

FNG

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Seems like Graces' mantra now is Feed Your Bank Account!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score

Basically, take LSD. "Feed Your Head".

...and like Lennon's "I Am the Walrus", lots of references to "Alice in Wonderland" in the song.

All respect to my friend Tom, the song has no relevance to cruise lines, unless there's a discount for old hippies...

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
From here, and the story behind the song as I understood it from age 14:
https://www.loudersound.com/features/the-story-behind-the-song-white-rabbit-by-jefferson-airplane
Slick herself always maintained that White Rabbit was aimed at hypocritical parents and their habit of reading drug-laced stories to children at their most impressionable age.
“In all those children’s stories, you take some kind of chemical and have a great adventure,” she told writer Mark Paytress.
“Alice In Wonderland is blatant. Eat me! She gets literally high, too big for the room. Drink me! The caterpillar is sitting on a psychedelic mushroom smoking opium!”

She also argued that the song was about the importance of education: ‘Feed your head,’ the rousing climax to White Rabbit, was intended as a call to liberate brains as much as the senses.
"Slick wrote White Rabbit at home in Marin County a year earlier, on an upright piano with missing keys, at the end of an acid trip during which she listened to Miles Davis’s Sketches Of Spain for 24 hours straight. Then she presented it to her then bandmates, San Francisco raga-folk avatars the Great Society. Also in that band were Grace’s drummer husband Jerry, brother-in-law Darby Slick [lead guitar], Peter Van Gelder [bass] and rhythm guitarist David Minor. According to the latter, who began as the Great Society’s chief songwriter, White Rabbit was an answer to a call.
“When we started working, nobody had anything because I couldn’t write any more,” he recalls. “I was too busy keeping up with my various jobs. So Grace’s husband Jerry challenged them: ‘What are you gonna do? Let David write all the songs?’ Y’know, ‘Do something!’. So Darby came back with a couple of songs and Grace came back with White Rabbit.”
At six-minutes-plus, the original version of the song was much trippier, and nearly three times as long, as the Airplane’s single version; it was Eastern-flavoured, with an improvised raga intro, and Slick’s vocal was less stately. But the Spanish march and echoes of Ravel’s Bolero were already there."

Sorry, Al. It's an ad. Mute it and move on, okay?? People have money to make and there are cruises to sell.
You missed my point completely.
I have no problem with the commercial use of the song, I just think it's a woefully misguided use.
I suspect most people on a cruise aren't the type who actually want to take a psychedelic trip, and in fact as I said, they're NOT all fun and games.
But the ad agency apparently believes this is a good song to sell the fun and games of a cruise.
Worry about something a bit more upsetting..... I dunno... GLOBAL WARMING...... or is it warning...... damn!!
Who's upset?
I was just calling it a dumb-*** commercial.
:glee:
(I also agree with Frono on chopping up the tune, though)

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
"Slick wrote White Rabbit at home in Marin County a year earlier, on an upright piano with missing keys, at the end of an acid trip during which she listened to Miles Davis’s Sketches Of Spain for 24 hours straight.

Aha! :eagerness:

walrus

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
A couple of us on FB were just talking about Grace Slicks good will towards ..... well, if liberal things and screwing the establishment for a cause isn't your thing, then PLEASE do not follow this link: GRACE SLICK AND CHICK-FIL-A from Rolling Stone.

Grace hit her advertising peak with the Boy Howdy Beer profile (so to speak) in Creem magazine in '71 and and it was all downhill (so to speak) afterward.
Musically, anyway.

shihan

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
That is one weird ad. The dark tone and emphasis on dark interior spaces is very strange to me. I’m old, but if I went on a cruise, I would want fresh sea air and sunshine, not some dank nightclub atmosphere. Of course, they must know their target audience.
The use of the song was probably better in theory; it fits in with the ‘Alice in Wonderland’ theme, but the bleak soundscape of the song does not work (at least for me). Not rushing to book a cruise with them.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The use of the song was probably better in theory; it fits in with the ‘Alice in Wonderland’ theme, but the bleak soundscape of the song does not work (at least for me). Not rushing to book a cruise with them.
I have figured it out.
This is their "Halloween Special" cruise.
They just forgot to mention it in the ad.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The ad industry is experiencing the same loss of reach & impact affecting most other pre-internet media & media-related industries. So the ads are getting weirder in response. (At least this is how it seems anecdotally to me.)

-Dave-

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
THIS JUST IN:
Dole leases the rights for JA's unknown classic dirge "Eat Starch Mom" for use in promoting pre-packaged salad mixes:

579023a488e4a79f178b9851-750-562.jpg

Editing and a new graphic equalizing enhancement will ensure optimum audibility of the tag line
"I don't care if there's chemicals on it as long as my lettuce is crisp"
Thanks Gracie!

Last edited: