Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 1960s starfire electronics

Quote Originally Posted by rbrcbr View Post
    My '62 SFIII has the volume knobs as the two nearest to the center of the guitar/bigsby, not the two that are near the edge of the guitar. That sort of reads weird, I hope you get what I mean.
    8^) That's how Rickenbacker has always done it. Throws me off for a bit each time I play one.

-Dave-
    1962 F-20 Troubadour
    1970 M-75 Bluesbird
    1971 S-100 "Black Cherry"
    1973 S-100 "Nature Boy"
    1990 Nightbird Custom
    1999 X-170T
    2013 NS M-75 Aristocrat
    2016 NS S-200 T-bird

c. 1971 Foxey Lady

From the looks of things, it would appear that your intonation on your D string would be off.

Don

Guild X-170-T
    Guild Starfire V
    G&L ASAT Deluxe Semi-Hollow
    Gretsch 6119-1962HT Tennessee Rose
    Gretsch 6120 DC
    Gretsch 5422-12
    Fender American Standard Stratocaster
    Fender '90s Custom Telecaster

Quote Originally Posted by dbirchett View Post
    From the looks of things, it would appear that your intonation on your D string would be off.

Thanks. Im legally blind so don't notice things like this. The action is high on this one but once i decided which 1 i wanted i was going to have a luthier go through it.

Quote Originally Posted by tycobb73 View Post
    If anyone has any comments I'd love to hear them.
    Congrats on getting two vintage Guilds! On the 63 I'd say the wiring internal is not original anymore, the black wires don't look stock to me.
    The Starfire IV seems to have original wires inside. Pickguard obviously missing. Switch knob not original anymore.
    Pickups are original as far as I can see.
    Ralf

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    Congrats on getting two vintage Guilds! On the 63 I'd say the wiring internal is not original anymore, the black wires don't look stock to me.
    The Starfire IV seems to have original wires inside. Pickguard obviously missing. Switch knob not original anymore.
    Pickups are original as far as I can see.
    Ralf
    Thanks. I'm only keeping 1. The IV is what I'm thinking. It has a little more sparkle, as is to be expected. However the action is a good .25 in at the 12th fret. A little confusing as i don't see a way to adjust bridge height and the block should keep it from needing a neck reset.

Anybody know of any replacement tuners that don't require drilling?

A little confusing as i don't see a way to adjust bridge height.
    It looks like it is already all the way down. The rosewood base is already thin, so I would not shave it further. The two thumb wheels are also what they are. So you could carefully file a little bit from the underside of the metal bridge left and right, there is still a bit of material you can take away. Or you take a bit away from the six individual saddle pieces on the bottom of them and inside the U to set them a bit lower (as long as the twelve screws bite). It's all not much what you can take away but might help to set the action at the 12th fret a bit lower.
    Ralf

Quote Originally Posted by SFIV1967 View Post
    It looks like it is already all the way down. The rosewood base is already thin, so I would not shave it further. The two thumb wheels are also what they are. So you could carefully file a little bit from the underside of the metal bridge left and right, there is still a bit of material you can take away. Or you take a bit away from the six individual saddle pieces on the bottom of them and inside the U to set them a bit lower (as long as the twelve screws bite). It's all not much what you can take away but might help to set the action at the 12th fret a bit lower.
    Ralf

How does it get this high to begin with? Does the neck need to be reset?

How does it get this high to begin with? Does the neck need to be reset?
    Yeah, typically if the bridge can't be lowered any more and the action is too high, the neck needs to be reset.

Aren't "the two closest to the pickups" and "the two closest to the neck" the same knobs? At any rate I know what you're asking!

Quote Originally Posted by swiveltung View Post
    Aren't "the two closest to the pickups" and "the two closest to the neck" the same knobs? At any rate I know what you're asking!
    Yeah, i forgot to type pickup. Neck pickup.

I'm keeping the 66. Luthier says frets are in awesome shape. He can get the action where he wants it by removing the disks and is confident the neck won't move in the near future.