NGD - JV72 (#2)

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
After unsuccessfully negotiating for a JV72, which I had been seeking for quite a while, Glenn (wileypickett) sold me his JV72, which is discussed in other threads, and below is my NGD thread for that one.

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?199820-Ngd-jv-72

Shortly after I purchased Glenn’s JV72, another one came up for sale, which I was fortunate enough to acquire.

Here is the thread for that one:

http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?200164-Grail-alert-JV-72-on-eBay

And here are some more pics:

56uTkST.jpg

2ENoodi.jpg

HkF6b1e.jpg

pLF35Yn.jpg

ml5Uwm7.jpg

p1Oh1wq.jpg

eV929vC.jpg

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Here are the two together (the one I acquired from Glenn is on the left)

CkpN1MP.jpg

The funny thing is that both guitars sound fantastic, but nothing alike.

#1 (formerly Glenn’s) has a warm, rich vintage-like tone, and #2 is considerably louder, but still has a beautiful voice (I hate trying to translate sounds into words, but I do the best I can).

Glenn installed a bridge doctor in #1, which was necessary, so maybe that accounts at least in part for the difference.

I am perfectly happy keeping both of these guitars, but I would be willing to part with #1 (preferably a trade) if someone else is as eager to own one as I was. It is a super rare model that lives up to the hype.

And thanks again to Glenn for saving it from oblivion.

Last edited:

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
When it rains, it pours ;)

I really like the one with all the character, don't mind it one bit. The way I play while I'm on the computer, always bumping the edge of the table or clunk here, clunk there (usually with my snakehead D5CE, a pre distressed tank of a guitar) I wouldn't spend a minute worrying about imperfections that are already there. It's pretty awesome to bang yr guitar on something and then not being able to see where the ding is :)))

I don't do that to any of my 60's/70's vintage flattops.

wileypickett

Reaction score
(Reviving an old thread.)

NOGD! (New Old Guitar Day!)

Thanks to Richard Peterson, my old JV72 is back home -- where it belongs!

In a moment of weakness or stupidity -- or something -- I sold it to Andrew Wagner some years ago. Andrew later landed a second JV72 (an amazing accomplishment considering how few of these things were ever made; mine is # 000006; Andrew's is # 000022 ) and sold mine to Rich Cohen. Rich eventually sold it to Richard Peterson, and Richard, as part of his latest purge, got in touch to let me know he was about to offer it for sale.

I leapt at the chance to have it back.

It arrived this morning, and is virtually unchanged from when I last had it my hands. (Obviously it's had some good stewards these past several years!)

And it sounds every bit as great as I remembered, even with old strings on it.

I would rate this in the top 5 Guilds I've ever owned, and this time it STAYS put!

Thanks Richard (and Rich and Andrew)!

Grateful,
Glenn

Last edited:

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

In a moment of weakness or stupidity -- or something -- I sold it to Andrew Wagner some years ago. Andrew later landed a second JV72 (an amazing accomplishment considering how few of these things were ever made; mine is # 000006; Andrew's is # 000022 ) and sold mine to Rich Cohen. Rich eventually sold it to Richard Peterson, and Richard, as part of his latest purge, got in touch to let me know he was about to offer it for sale.

It arrived this morning, and is virtually unchanged from when I last had it my hands. (Obviously it's had some good stewards these past several years!)

I would rate this in the top 5 Guilds I've ever owned, and this time it STAYS put!

Grateful,
Glenn
This is one of the reasons why I frickin’ love this place! Congrats Glen. So now you have both a JV72 and DV72 back in your hands. Life is Good, eh?

wileypickett

Reaction score
Life is Good, eh?

Better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick! (Got my second DV72 -- yep, I sold my first one! -- from Mike who lives "just down the street" from me, relatively speaking. Thanks Mike!)

Last edited:

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Awesome! Congrats on the boomerang guitar return!

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats!

You are forbidden from selling this one again.

Not that important, but I seem to recall selling/trading it to Rich Peterson, not Rich Cohen. Did Rich C. buy from Rich. P. and then sell it back to Rich P., who then sold it to you?

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
(Reviving an old thread.)

Grateful,
Glenn
What goes around comes around, eh Glenn? :)

Congrats on getting that JV-72 back in the fold. I definitely want to strum a few chords on that baby if we get together again... Maybe next year in Japan?! :D

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Congrats!

You are forbidden from selling this one again.

Not that important, but I seem to recall selling/trading it to Rich Peterson, not Rich Cohen. Did Rich C. buy from Rich. P. and then sell it back to Rich P., who then sold it to you?

Actually Andrew, I couldn't remember who I bought it from. I thought it was Rich Cohen but it may well have been you. I'm an old man and my mind, along with other body parts, is not what it used to be.

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually Andrew, I couldn't remember who I bought it from. I thought it was Rich Cohen but it may well have been you. I'm an old man and my mind, along with other body parts, is not what it used to be.
I definitely sold it to you. And I seem to recall Rich Cohen contacting me because he was considering purchasing the JV72 from you. So you must have reacquired it from Rich C. if you just sold this same guitar to Glenn.

wileypickett

Reaction score
Rich Cohen wrote me (on January 2, 2022 -- message is still in my PMs folder) saying he was going to be playing "your JV72" at an open mic, and asking me if I thought the Bridge Doctor would complicate his luthier installing a K & K mini.

So he was defintely its caretaker for some period of time. (I don't know how long he'd had the guitar before he wrote me.)

Rich -- if you read this, fill us in!

awagner

Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I reviewed my emails, and here is what happened.

I traded the JV72 to Richard P. for his D55-12 in 2020.
I separately did a cash/trade deal with Richard P. - a ‘77 D55 + cash for a 50th Anniversary Brazilian D55 (also in ‘20)
Rich C. contacted me in ‘21 because he was deciding between the D55 and JV72, and wanted some information about them, since I previously owned both. I believe he went with the JV72, but he must have returned it or sold it back to Rich P. at a later time.

wileypickett

Reaction score
I reviewed my emails, and here is what happened.

I traded the JV72 to Richard P. for his D55-12 in 2020.
I separately did a cash/trade deal with Richard P. - a ‘77 D55 + cash for a 50th Anniversary Brazilian D55 (also in ‘20)
Rich C. contacted me in ‘21 because he was deciding between the D55 and JV72, and wanted some information about them, since I previously owned both. I believe he went with the JV72, but he must have returned it or sold it back to Rich P. at a later time.

All this is in keeping with its mysterious "back from the grave" history!

wileypickett

Reaction score
For newbies, or anyone in need of a refresher, here's a link to the original post, in all its gory detail: