Hyphen, No-hyphen, or Either/Or?

MartyG

Reaction score
Maybe too esoteric a question for this forum, but I doubt it. Is there a standard Guild-way for using a hyphen in model numbers? For example, is my 1973 D25 a D25 - like it states on the label, or is it a D-25 like it shows in the catalogs of the era? There is a rather recondite reason I'm asking that I may or may not reveal.

46770379554_10ab32aa6b_c.jpg

I feel so recherche for asking.

Marty

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Other than having to look up "recondite" and "recherche," which appear to be interchangable, I'm guessing the hyphen is interchangable as well. We all know the disparities among the hand-written labels inside our Guilds.

My '76 is labelled "D25M."

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't feel bad! This has vexed me as well.

I think, that the standard includes the hyphen such as D-25, X-175, etc., but I never write it that way, favoring the absence of said hyphen: D25, X175, etc. Why? For me I consider it a style choice as part of my writing style guide. If you look at the price lists they have hyphens, so I'd argue that's the "correct" answer.

It get's worse, though, since some have names, and those aren't even consistent! The X82 Nova is listed in the price list for 1985 as the Starfighter X-82, so does the name come first or the model number? And which name is proper?

If you read Hans' book, the answer is that the hyphen stays and the name is referenced as "Polara / S-100", so I'd say Hans is right (though I've yet to find an opportunity to say otherwise).

I ain't changing, though. :congratulatory: Sorry if I'm the cause of the confusion. I get that a lot.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
I figure I gotta go with what's actually written on the labels in my guitars.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I think, that the standard includes the hyphen such as D-25, X-175, etc.....

Yeah, I figure with hyphen is the formal usage, and without hyphen is just less formal. The JF30-12, though, has no hyphen between the JF and the 30, but almost always before the 12. :untroubled:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I pride myself on having one of the prettiest and best written Guild labels ever!! I think they even bought a new pen!! So I leave out the hyphens unless there's some super imperative reason to include it....... Model on top. GC is the guitar center special run. 11 is 11/20. You can figure out the rest.......
labeljq.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Matter of taste. Hans and George Gruhn both used hyphens in their books. I always do.

Interesting about the JF-30-12, GAD. I've always written it as I just did, but the slash is interesting!

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fun fact.
”Hyphenated” is not hyphenated.
”Non-hyphenated” is hyphenated.

:smiley_simmons::smiley_simmons:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I switch back and forth. I think including the hyphen is more "formal" and more inline with Guild's own usage in published materials. Given the idiosyncrasies we have seen with labels, including using the internal model name on a label, any conclusions we draw from labels will certainly have a long list of exceptions.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Come on! We have to admit we get mileage and entertainment out of Guild's "mismanagement" of guitar ID's. It keeps us on our toes.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Being both a hyphen addict and a style snob is difficult: I really want to overuse hyphens and yet am annoyed by their overuse. ;)

-Dave-