About to look at a D40 traditional

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You deserve that guitar. It is the Holiday Season and pictures would validate our envious attitude.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I don't claim to be an expert but the new D 40's are the best I've ever heard or played. Of course, we all typically hear things a bit differently.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Buy it! Buy it! Buy it! Ha!
Seriously though Oxnard has been cranking out some nice ones.. At least the ones I have played and the one I own..

General Dreedle

Reaction score
Yeah the bottom was, I don't know how to describe it, big without a lot of overtones, nice woody sound. Ugh

stormin1155

Reaction score
I few weeks ago I stopped by a small guitar shop that was a Guild dealer. I have a GAD-25, which is really an outstanding guitar that gives up very little to my US made Guilds, and I wanted to try out some of the imported Westerly Series. So I started down this row of various Westerly models, and none of them really impressed me. OK, but nothing special. At the end of the row were two D-40 traditionals. I picked up the first one, and on the first strum I knew... yeah! That's what a Guild is supposed to sound like!

pancho400cid

Reaction score
Right around this time last year I signed up here as I was strongly considering a new (as in hot off the assembly line) D40E.

Link to my original post:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?197875-Noob-sorely-tempted-by-D40E

Due to circumstances, I ended up buying a D40 traditional instead of the "standard" D40E. More than I wanted to spend for sure, but I'm glad I did it!

I'm far from an expert on guitars, especially acoustic. I'm a mediocre player on a good day. I was very nervous to buy one "sight - unseen" but had a dealer local to me order one. I wanted it for a Christmas present to myself, but ended up getting it a little late. The guitar was beautiful... I mean that very literally. However, in the long run, after trying it, the action was too low with some fretting out and consequences for the tone. I took it to a luthier who ended up replacing the bridge and installing an LR Baggs M80 soundhole pick up.

I now suspect my local dealer took steps to lower the action after they received the guiater from Guild based on thinking I wanted it super-low. I'm not sure about that, but my philosophy at the time was "if" they made it wrong... take it elsewhere to get it made right. I'm happy with that call.

To make a long story short (too late!!!) I absolutely love the guitar. The action is now "perfect" in my opinion. I play rhythm guitar in a traditional country band and we gig a couple of times a month. The Guild is the only guitar I use. It's well up to the task. No issues. I wonder how well the lacquer finish will hold up and whether the poly finish on the standard D40 would hold up better, but OTOH... each blemish is a badge of honor and I'll be happy with a road-worn warhorse in 10 years.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Well said. The Oxnard built D 40T is an exceptional Guild. I love mine for sure and is one I'll likely take to the grave.