NGD Guild D 30

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
My D-30 is a brick, but I believe it lends to it a certain solidity of tone, especially with all that lovely, scrumptious maple showing through the orange. It also sits nice and firm in my lap.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
My D-30 is a brick, but I believe it lends to it a certain solidity of tone, especially with all that lovely, scrumptious maple showing through the orange. It also sits nice and firm in my lap.

Agreed Rich. My D-30 weighed a ton and had that hefty neck, but oddly had a very resonant and warm tone with plenty of volume.. Kind of interested they were able to get an overbuilt guitar to sound like that..

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Have yet to play a Guild maple dread that didn't sound good.
IIRC, the 6 lbs 9 oz G37 (the D30 predecessor) I had was heavier than
any of several D-30s and the two DCE-3s.

Last edited:

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
There's one on our local craigslist... https://spacecoast.craigslist.org/msg/d/palm-bay-guild-made-in-usa/7012439759.html

00f0f_cg584jOzZiN_600x450.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So,what it'll be? Lucille (already taken) or Lucy? Or something else? Any suggestions?

"Archie" has a built-in double meaning:
f72273eb262b83b2580868b41eb845a0.jpg

Orange top, arched back.....
:glee:

Agreed Rich. My D-30 weighed a ton and had that hefty neck, but oddly had a very resonant and warm tone with plenty of volume.. Kind of interested they were able to get an overbuilt guitar to sound like that..
Seem to recall that somebody noted the heelblock in their D30 was significantly larger than the one in their G37; heelblocks play a big role in resonance.***Edit see Bobouz's post
#51, below.
Have yet to play a Guild maple dread that didn't sound good.
IIRC, the 6 lbs 9 oz G37 (the D30 predecessor) I had was heavier than
any of several D-30s and the two DCE-3s.
Bonneville was that you who noticed the difference in heelblock dimensions?
With the G37 I think build year would be important because it was introduced ca '74 (maybe built some before showing it in price lists) when Guild was starting to go towards the "built like a tank" mode and was replaced by D30 ca '87 when they were going back to lighter builds following the Gruhn/Walker influence on design.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Al, I don't remember if that was me or not.
My G37 I believe was an '80. Weight might be close to some of the lighter
solid-body electrics out there.

Dave - and it's been for sale for quite some time, off and on CL.
Corresponded with the seller back in December of last year, was a very nice guy - I couldn't quite
justify pulling the trigger on it, since I have one- actually two, the other is blonde.
But the condition he states in his ad is compelling, and I got the feeling he might negotiate a bit.

Could be a nice score for anyone crushing for something acoustic, maple, bright orange,
big and curvy :love-struck:.

But boy, the used market seems to pretty much hate cutaway dreads.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My G37 I believe was an '80. Weight might be close to some of the lighter
solid-body electrics out there.
Yeah, late '70's to early '80's were the height of the heavy-build era according to the reports I can recall.
But boy, the used market seems to pretty much hate cutaway dreads.
Just give 'em another ten years to become retro-chic.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I dunno Al - shocking asymmetry in this particular context
might just upset plenty of folks from the get-go:unsure:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I dunno Al - shocking asymmetry in this particular context
might just upset plenty of folks from the get-go:unsure:

Well we know Davisman can't stand cutaway dreads of either persuasion....nonono, I mean,Venetian vs Florentine.
Technically though I suspect our DCE-3 is actually closer to a "squared off" as seen in some Selmers:
800px-Selmer-maccaferri-django-reinhardt-jazz-guitar.jpg

Not sure where Tom would stand on that but I'm sure he'd stand on it, if not worse.
:glee:

koaguilds

Reaction score
I'm also convinced the oversized neckblocks of the later Westerly's played a large role in their tone and resonance.

bobouz

Reaction score
Fwiw - I had mentioned previously that the neckblock on my ‘76 G-37 is significantly larger than those in my other GUild acoustics..... Westerlys built in ‘73, ‘74, ‘92, & ‘94.

If I recall correctly, I said there’s enough wood there to build a house!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Fwiw - I had mentioned previously that the neckblock on my ‘76 G-37 is significantly larger than those in my other GUild acoustics..... Westerlys built in ‘73, ‘74, ‘92, & ‘94.

If I recall correctly, I said there’s enough wood there to build a house!

You know what, I think that was the comment I was recalling, but backwards (insert embarrassed emoticon here)
Thanks!