Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: NGD Guild D 30

Quote Originally Posted by Cougar View Post
    My dad (WWII air force) played a 1939 Epiphone Zenith for years till my brother and I got him a Gibson Les Paul. The Zenith was clearly the poor cousin of the Royal (it was also beat to crap!), and I was lucky to get about a third of what you're asking for the Royal. Best of luck on that sale!
    Hey, Cougar. Thanks for the good thoughts. I paid 3,295 for the Royal at archtop.com, so I'm already on the losing end. I suspect I won't get any takers on Reverb. I'll end up consigning it to archtop.com.
    The Royal is special for several reasons, such as its rarity, condition and that it has walnut back and sides. It has amazing volume and sustain for its size.
    Guilds:
    Hoboken
    1963 A-500 B, DeArmond 1000 Rhythm Chief installed (ex Guitars'n Jazz, Summit New Jersey)
    1965 D-50 braz.(ex Peterson)
    1965 F-312 braz. (ex Peterson)
    Westerly
    1994 D-60 (ex Peterson)
    2001 D-30, Tennessee Orange (ex Peterson)
    Tacoma
    2007 F-47 Special coming soon (ex Blake)

Epiphone Archtop:
    1934 Royal, walnut back/sides with vintage DeArmond 1000 (ex Joe Vinikow, Archtop.com)

Amp:
    Rivera Jazz Suprema 55 Ruby, the ultimate jazz amp!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cohen View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by davismanLV View Post
    "Jewish Quota"?? Are you effing kidding me right now??
    Enjoy your new friend!!
    Tom, no I'm not kidding you. This was in the mid 1930's when there was no air force, just the Army air corps. And yes, he was told that by his flight instructor, just after he had passed the final flight exam to get his wings.
    Gotta admit that one surprised me a bit too, don't remember hearing about it in all the military history reading I've done.
    Religious discrimination, yes, both open and veiled, but don't recall hearing of an outright quota system.
    On the other hand given all branches if the US military itself were racially segregated until '48, I guess I shouldn't be surprised, and in fact now see that many higher educational institutions had formal enrollment quotas set down in writing at the time.

Typically ironic that although America loved Benny Goodman's music in the '30's, a lot of places didn't want his synagogue in their neighborhood.
    Maybe those were the places that still thought jazz was degenerate.
    And maybe why Benny was a pioneer in integration himself.
    Ok off my soapbox.
    Last edited by adorshki; 11-26-2019 at 07:16 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Very nice congrats 😊

I love the color! It reminds my old Gretsch Nashville 6120. Long gone but not forgotten.

Tommy
    Westerly
    1973 F-30

New Hartford
    2011 F-30 Standard
    2011 F-30R Standard

Orange - very compelling!!! Congrats!

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Cohen View Post
    That's my Dad's photo in the background. He was a Jew who tried to get into the Army Aircorps in 1937...passed the pilot's test, but was told the "Jewish Quota" had been filled and couldn't be commissioned!
    Quotas seem like the best person need not apply.

Ralph

Quote Originally Posted by F312 View Post
    Quotas seem like the best person need not apply.

Ralph
    Competition for placement becomes so fierce that bribery and cheating become the first resort of scoundrels.
    Despite these drawbacks however, an unequalled standard of incompetence is achieved.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

Yes, I like the orange hue. But, it's the sound of this D-30 that overwhelms me. And she's got electrification! What more to ask for? Thank you Guild! And, built like a Westerly tank should. I'm carrying her in a bullet-proof Visesnut case to India so I can enjoy playing for five months while I'm there, but she could probably resist the abuse by the airline guys/gals with her weighty heft. So,what it'll be? Lucille (already taken) or Lucy? Or something else? Any suggestions?
    Last edited by Rich Cohen; 12-02-2019 at 10:43 PM.
    Guilds:
    Hoboken
    1963 A-500 B, DeArmond 1000 Rhythm Chief installed (ex Guitars'n Jazz, Summit New Jersey)
    1965 D-50 braz.(ex Peterson)
    1965 F-312 braz. (ex Peterson)
    Westerly
    1994 D-60 (ex Peterson)
    2001 D-30, Tennessee Orange (ex Peterson)
    Tacoma
    2007 F-47 Special coming soon (ex Blake)

Epiphone Archtop:
    1934 Royal, walnut back/sides with vintage DeArmond 1000 (ex Joe Vinikow, Archtop.com)

Amp:
    Rivera Jazz Suprema 55 Ruby, the ultimate jazz amp!

Agreed. Great tone on both the DCE3s and my D30. And character!
    Both DCE3s seems heavy though, baseball bat necks,
    and measured at the very bottom, a slightly deeper body than some of my
    other Westerly dreads. Still love it in all its orange glory.

Last edited by Bonneville88; 12-04-2019 at 02:23 PM.