The best thing I ever did for myself

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congrats to all who never smoked or quit! I have my own sad story, but it does have a happy ending. After 18 years my relationship crashed and burned and I had to kinda revamp my life. I was never much of one for clubs, but had friends who were more than happy to introduce me to other things that at the time helped me with motivation and a greatly elevated mood. Fast forward several years and I was smoking cigarettes and addicted to meth. By year 4 I knew I was gonna die and I had to quit. If you think it's tough to quit smoking try giving up meth cold turkey without rehab or any outside help. They say it's worse than heroin and I truly believe that! But after two months of sleeping and crying by turns the worst was over. It was well over a year before I felt remotely human. And somehow in all that mess I'd given up smoking. That was the easy part. The good news is I'm free of all that crap, and resurrected my relationship, which now totals 39 years.

I know it's kind of a dramatic story, but worth telling and if it helps anyone who's having a problem, I'm always willing to talk to people that I can see struggling with similar issues because it can happen, and freedom from addiction is a wonderful thing.

Now, it's Saturday afternoon and I think there's a glass of red wine at Panevino with my name on it. Not giving that up, at least not yet!! :encouragement:

beecee

Reaction score
I smoked for 7 years, quit when I got married, started again the day I buried my first wife and quit again 6 years later when my daughter was born.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's one helluva story Tom, glad you are a survivor! I have a nephew who is a crackhead and a meth head, in and out of jail and prison, it's sad to see but we can't fix him.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom, that’s brutal. Good for you. So glad you were able to overcome your demons. It’s such a hard thing to do. Addiction to anything - tobacco, drugs, alcohol, food,,,, is no way to live your life. I lost two very close long term friends to alcoholism and it is a terrible thing. Makes you really appreciate the small things we sometimes take for granted every day.

tommym

Reaction score
I quit smoking (cigarettes and cigars) and drinking (alcohol, coffee, soda, etc.) eons ago. I just lost interest in the stuff. Unrelated to this.....decades later I got my first rescue dog Buddy (RIP) and noticed he always smelled like a really good mild cigar! Yeah he got his by-monthly baths, but that mild cigar smell would always come back. Didn't bother me either way.

Locally I notice many elementary school students vaping with the hand-me-down electronic devices from friends or even family members. Sad to see this.

Tommy

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks guys. It's a tough story to tell and while I think it might show me in a bad light, I think too many people have been victims of circumstance and ended up in similar situations and many are not here today to share the story. So I look at it as a way to share the good with the bad, and show my strength and maybe someone who hears it will have hope. Not proud of what happened but I always thought that I was in control and could stop at any time. Until I realized I couldn't. But then I did. Hardest thing I've ever done. I'm so happy to be here and just so you know..... I did have that glass of wine. And a shot of Jameson!! Played guitar for a while and now I'm down for the count! There is life after drugs and smoking and it's a good one!! This is the BEST forum ever!!

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Tom

I´m glad that you survived. My wife´s daughter did not - she died Feb 1st 2009 - her son is now 13 and has lived with us ever since he was 3 months.
There are many sad stories - some have happy endings. I hope to live long enough - so Jesse will be grown-up before I go - we try hard to give him a decent start.

About bad light - in my book your light just got a bit shinier - you had your hardships and survived to tell.

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Tom, you make me appreciate how uneventful and easy my life has been. Great that you were able to overcome and keep going.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks guys. It's a tough story to tell and while I think it might show me in a bad light

Not at all Tom, in fact I think it shows you in a good light because you are vulnerable enough to share your story, and because doing so may encourage someone else.

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
A big congrats and a hug, Tom for overcoming the challenges and re-building your relationship. And thanks for being candid, it will help others who are struggling.

HeyMikey

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not at all Tom, in fact I think it shows you in a good light because you are vulnerable enough to share your story, and because doing so may encourage someone else.

Amen to that!