NGD! Oxnard F55e

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I swapped guitars with RayK this week. His F55e for my Orpheum 12-fretter. The Orpheum has been fine, but I really needed to put a pickup in it for it to get more playing time. But I couldn't bring myself to do that to the little guy.

This is my first experience with an Oxnard Guild. I've only had it a few hours, but so far I gotta say I'm impressed. The guitar is light for a Jumbo and the build quality looks to be first-rate. It's very reminiscent of a later-build New Hartford Guild, probably due to the Ren Ferguson influence.

The tone? The low end rumbles into my chest like no other guitar I've ever played. The tone is warm and balanced but not as chimey as some Guilds I've played. It's woody, thick, and chunky while also being warm and pleasant. Sounds great strummed. The LR Baggs Anthem reproduces that tone so well it's almost spooky.

Pics were available in Ray's original post so I won't post more.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Best wishes with the new addition Dave! I played an Oxnard D40 Traditional a while back at the local Sam Ash and really liked it, Nice light build, excellent QC, and very resonant.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
The tone? The low end rumbles into my chest like no other guitar I've ever played. The tone is warm and balanced but not as chimey as some Guilds I've played. It's woody, thick, and chunky while also being warm and pleasant. Sounds great strummed. The LR Baggs Anthem reproduces that tone so well it's almost spooky.

I like a lot of midrange punch myself but wonder how it'd react to different string alloys?
Congrats to both of ya BTW!

Brucebubs

Reaction score
he9JZy1m.jpg

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, folks. I am also kind of looking forward to trying different strings, Al.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Dave , extremely happy she's found a good home and gets the attention she deserves .

I mentiined to Dave that I don't think she's even opened up yet so hopefully over time she'll sweeten with age .

Enjoy ! 😊

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
Cool! I bet I’d love it. My GV-52 is on one of the loudest guitars I’ve played when I want it it be. And it’s smaller!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
One thing I learned so far is that it likes to be played hard. I haven't not found an upper limit.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
One thing I learned so far is that it likes to be played hard. I haven't not found an upper limit.

Very interesting! My memories of F-50Rs of the past is how surprisingly responsive they are with a light touch and how beautiful they ring with that light touch. Are you finding the tone get a little muddy when you hammer on it, Dave? I never did much of that, so I can't really speak to it. But, in any case, I'm super glad the jumbo family is continuing well with the new models.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

This is I told ya all that moment . Haha sorry I don't have many of those .
Glad your having fun .
Because of her soft mellow tone and volume you don't think that she can go to ten er 11 but here she is .lol

Let's get some audio of that fine guitar you got . 😊

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Very interesting! My memories of F-50Rs of the past is how surprisingly responsive they are with a light touch and how beautiful they ring with that light touch. Are you finding the tone get a little muddy when you hammer on it, Dave? I never did much of that, so I can't really speak to it. But, in any case, I'm super glad the jumbo family is continuing well with the new models.

Chazmo, I'm talking about how it responds to hard strumming, which I often do behind electric guitars in mostly classic rock / blues music. Light touch and soft picking is something I can do but it's rarely called for in the setting I'm playing in.

You know the deal... having a few cold ones with friends while making a lot of noise. Yowsa!

RayK, I may have something recorded in a week or two.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How does Ray like the Orf?

He may not be up for air for a while. I'll bet he's loving it!

I'll give a report in a bit but should I give the good and bad observations or just the good . I don't want to offend anyone . I know how some folks get and you how anal I am .

I think Dave might get into that Grove a bit more after his experience with me . Lmao 😂