Older D-40s vs. new Oxnard Traditional

Br1ck

Reaction score
Pick up a guitar, play it, like it, buy it. That is all one really needs to know. Marketing buzzwords abound. Made like Westerleys? Which ones, the lightly built early 70s tone monsters, or a decade later when they had about a pound and a half added. Along the way someone noticed a pile of scrapwood Adi spruce end cuts. Hey, lets make braces out of them and tack on another hundred bucks. How can we make a four thousand dollar guitar into a six thousand dollar guitar? Hey, lets use fifty cents worth of hide glue. Call it the limited edition, limited to how many we can sell. I'll say it again.

Pick up a guitar, play it, like it, buy it. New or old, that is about all you need to know. I have played guitars from only three Guild factories. I owned a Westerly that was horrible, and own one that is magnificent. A friend has a Tacoma F 312 that rocks. I've pretty much quit asking about any spec of any guitar until after I've played it. I can not tell you how many Brazilian rosewood dog D 28s I've played. About one third of all those I've played are really good guitars. So I have no doubt you like your Oxnard guitars. Pay little attention to the buzz words and just enjoy playing it.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Really like my NH 2014 D55. Agree-guitars are like folks-gooduns and baduns in every batch.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pick up a guitar, play it, like it, buy it.

While hands one experience is the best way to make a decision may questions like these are driven by the fact that the buyer has to commit before playing and they are trying to improve the odds that thay like it and don't have to pay to ship it back.

Br1ck

Reaction score
Traditional, adi braced, hide gued, Westerly, semi gloss finish, scalloped bracing . What does that really tell one trying to discern one from the other when it comes to guitars?

Responsive to the touch, balanced, dry, punchy, headroom, scooped mids, loud crisp bass, bright, sustain, overtones. Which would you depend on more when buying a guitar?

We end up talking in marketing jargon, which is exactly what marketing guys want. It obviously works. Hark back to a simpler time when everything was simpler and quality ruled. Don't you want one? And really in an era where more commerce is conducted online, it's a matter of survival. I'm not at all saying that the marketing hype is not attached to many fine guitars, just that there are more descriptive terms I find far more illuminating. Wonderfully balanced would be one.

If I were writing the marketing for an HD 35 Martin, I'd say something like, if strumming is your thing, and you want that fat lush smeared overtone sound, this is the one. Imagine I'd last maybe until noon on my first day.

Actually, I have a D 35 coming to me right now that I bought because it is very deviant D 35. I hate most D 35s because they don't have the clear punchy tone I'm chasing. This one just has a tight low end, maybe because it is a custom and has a koa wedge, or maybe it's the all wood binding, or the bridge and fingerboard are different. Who knows?

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
I've been fortunate to have fellow LTG brother, Richard Peterson, filter the guitars I've received over the years. I've never had a dud from Richard.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hey, wait a minute! I don't want to go halvsies with Al! :devilish:
Halvsies?
I assumed kids and other beneficiaries would get a piece of the action after we're done.
So figured more likely we'd have to split maybe a 3rd or something like that.
In any case (but the original Guild case would be best) I think I'd be happy with just the 45th Anni, being an F40-based little gem.
I'll certainly give 'er the ol' open-minded assessment since I don't expect to be able to play her first.
Y'never know, I might not like it.
(Yeah that's the chorus singing "Fat Chance" in the background)
And truth to tell my pipe dream is still an F40-based shortscale with 1-11/16 nut, something Guild never actually built for production, that I've found.
(Never miss an opportunity to promote one's own agenda. :glee:)

Last edited:

Rich Cohen

Reaction score
Halvsies?
I assumed kids and other beneficiaries would get a piece of the action after we're done.
So figured more likely we'd have to split maybe a 3rd or something like that.
In any case (but the original Guild case would be best) I think I'd be happy with just the 45th Anni, being an F40-based little gem.
I'll certainly give 'er the ol' open-minded assessment since I don't expect to be able to play her first.
Y'never know, I might not like it.
(Yeah that's the chorus singing "Fat Chance" in the background)
And truth to tell my pipe dream is still an F40-based shortscale with 1-11/16 nut, something Guild never actually built for production, that I've found.
(Never miss an opportunity to promote one's own agenda. :glee:)

Okay, Al you've fully disclosed your prejudices and DESIRES! I give you credit for transparency. I owned a 45th anniversary, one of the very best guitars I've had the pleasure of owning, acquired from Richard, and must admit it was one, just one of the MANY numskull decisions I've made over the years to part with a guitar. Fortunately, I sold it to a high-end counairseur Basically, my problem is MY WIFE! To keep her satisfied, if that's the correct metaphor (maybe not!) I limit myself to 5 guitars at any given time. So, when I get a hankering for something 'new', I have to make an awful, angst filled decision. I've made many over time, and regret almost all of them. For example, I sold my DV-72 (mint condition and a real boomer) from Richard to GAD. Boy, was that a numskull decision. However, by way of recompense, I know that someone truly worthy of that DV-72 acquired it and I'm sure loves it to death. Someday, I'm goin' creep behind GAD's house in western New Jersey (I was born in Jersey, so so I know my way around), and conduct a house invasion and grab that sweetie! So, look out GAD!

'Nuf said. The FBI might be listening!

BTW, according to my rule, I'll have to drive away my 1934 Epiphone Royal archtop before taking delivery of the D-60. Any takers?. What to do?

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
'Nuf said. The FBI might be listening!
I heard they just re-opened the "Louie Louie Lyrics" investigation so we may be a ways down the list:
"The FBI started a 31-month investigation into the matter and concluded they were 'unable to interpret any of the wording in the record'. "

BTW, according to my rule, I'll have to drive away my 1934 Epiphone Royal archtop. What to do?
Pick'n'Pull comes and tows 'em away for free, at least.

jcwu

Reaction score
Hark back to a simpler time when everything was simpler and quality ruled.

Like when I wanted a Les Paul because Slash played one and he looked so cool with it.

And then I discovered Jimmy Page and that really sealed the deal.

Actually, speaking of simpler times, I recently bought a Recording King guitar. Was shopping for a friend, needed to keep the price low, and I was simply blown away by the sound of the all-solid-wood guitar for $250. Granted, I think the all-solid-wood jargon did influence me, but then holding it in my hand and playing it also influenced me. I really wanted to get a Guild into my friend's hands, but compared to the D240E, well, the Recording King was much more bang for the buck.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry if ya'll are tired of hearing me say this. BUT, my Oxnard built D 40 Traditional Custom guitars are the best D 40's I have ever played. I have two now and treasure them both. To be fair, I also have 2 vintage Westerly D 40's that are also superb and a Westerly D 40-12 that is tons of fun. But, if I were forced to choose, the Oxnard D 40's would be far and away my 1st choice.

Late to the party as usual, but as an Oxnard owner I never get tired of you saying how good yours are sir :) They have something special going on out there..