D Tar Lock n Load End 1/4 input

Frances

Reaction score
Hi there, I've a Guild F512 (2007) that came with Lock n Load D-Tar, it's been great for many years, but now the end screw, which unscrews to acces the batteries and to which the 1/4 jack goes into, is knacked. Problem is, this is now a deleted item, might anyone know where I could get a replament end as it's impossible to fix this piece, Seymore Duncan no longer supplies it, thanks.

wyuFApbPfvMYez4E9

https://images.app.goo.gl/wyuFApbPfvMYez4E9

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Francis, I just posted a link to your question here in 'tech shop' for you hoping some of our engineering brained members who hang out there will see it there and respond...you can never have too many eyes to solve a problem...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Frances, I don't know if they can help you, but I would call Guild in Oxnard, CA (check for address and phone number on www.guildguitars.com)

They may have a box of old parts for the Load and Lock system, but maybe not. It was discontinued by Guild (in New Hartford, CT) in 2010 or so.

Frances

Reaction score
Thanks guys...if no joy I'm going to go with the Fishman Real earth Humbucker, as the tone is similar after a few eq tweaks.

I'm surprised they discontinued this within 3 years of launching the system, I did have to have the vol/tone wheel assembly renewed a few years back, maybe it wasn't such a great system after all, you'd think they'd rigorously bench test this stuff before releasing it with such a fanfare.

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
Thanks guys...if no joy I'm going to go with the Fishman Real earth Humbucker, as the tone is similar after a few eq tweaks.

I'm surprised they discontinued this within 3 years of launching the system, I did have to have the vol/tone wheel assembly renewed a few years back, maybe it wasn't such a great system after all, you'd think they'd rigorously bench test this stuff before releasing it with such a fanfare.

So apparently Guild chose this system in 2007 and ended it in 2010?

Today I have 2 Guild guitars with this jack. Lots of folks that I showed it to thought it was great. Both of mine have worked very well for about 10 years, but if something quits on them, what can you do with a 7/8" hole drilled though the end of your guitars?

What is your opinion? I suppose an option is to leave a dead Lock n' Load in place, then install a new jack like an electric guitar coming off the lower bout at an angle?

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've got this system on I believe 8 different Guilds. So far, no issues, knock on wood. I like it quite well and it does what it's supposed to do for me. I didn't even know it was discontinued so I'm not thrilled with that.

And yes, the large hole is/will be a cosmetic issue when I'm forced (I hope never) to plug and then install a more traditional pickup system.

Frances, I'll take a look in my parts/junk drawer and see if I might have one sitting around. If so, it's yours.

There's also a guy on Ebay (user name weasy2) that sells quite a large variety of Guild parts including this pickup system, tuning machines etc. I've bought the Lock and Load system from him before and he's always shipped what I bought quickly and as described.

idealassets

Reaction score
I'm interested in seeing how this all progresses. I used to own a lot more of these lock and load guitars, but my run of buying, fixing, selling guitars came to an end.

So now just the enjoyment of owning "player" guitars is enough.

Last edited:

Frances

Reaction score
I talked to my guitar tech/luthier, who will fit a new system if no joy, he said he'd be loath to drill another hole for the jack plug, but he'd build up the lock 'n' load hole (l guess with rosewood) to accommodate a new pickup system, he is, after all, a guitar maker too.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Good luck, Frances. I guess this is like dealing with anything "discontinued." In any case, if you've liked the system, you'll obviously have to look elsewhere to find parts. I still think it's possible Guild can help you. Or, Richard has pointed you towards an eBay seller who might have parts. G'luck!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So apparently Guild chose this system in 2007 and ended it in 2010?
To be fair by 2013 the F512 was upgraded to the DTAR Wavelength Multi-Source system.
Today I have 2 Guild guitars with this jack. Lots of folks that I showed it to thought it was great. Both of mine have worked very well for about 10 years, but if something quits on them, what can you do with a 7/8" hole drilled though the end of your guitars?
What is your opinion?
I'd upgrade to the Multi-Source to remain "Guild (if not 'period') Correct".
I think the end-pin jack size difference could be handled with a glued-in and re-reamed plug. ( I see Frances' luthier already suggested that)
It is after all just going into the heel block so structural integrity wouldn't be compromised, certainly far less than installing a second jack and more aesthetically pleasing too, I think.
:friendly_wink:
From another angle I also recall at least a couple of reports here about difficulty replacing batteries.
It occurs to me that perhaps this hindered sales and coupled with the introduction of the acoustically superior Wavelength system it resulted in the Lock'n'Load being dropped by Seymour Duncan.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Actually, I may have this wrong, Al, but I think Load 'n Lock was a Guild-only product. It might've even been designed by Guild. Not at all sure why I think that, but seems to me I heard something about that at the time they discussed dropping it with us at the Let's Meet Guild event.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
To be fair by 2013 the F512 was upgraded to the DTAR Wavelength Multi-source system.
That was an 18v system which allowed more headroom and virtually eliminated "quack" that the 9v Lock'n'Load was more susceptible to.
The soundhole controls were apparently also more attractive to a wider market.

I'd upgrade to the Multi-Source to remain "Guild (if not 'period') Correct".
I think the end-pin jack size difference could be handled with a glued-in and re-reamed plug. ( I see Frances' luthier already suggested that)
It is after all just going into the heel block so structural integrity wouldn't be compromised, certainly far less than installing a second jack and more aesthetically pleasing too, I think.
:friendly_wink:
From another angle I also recall at least a couple of reports here about difficulty replacing batteries.
It occurs to me that perhaps this hindered sales and coupled with the introduction of the acoustically superior Wavelength system it resulted in the Lock'n'Load being dropped by Seymour Duncan.

Hmmmm. Ease of battery change is one of the things I find really good. To be fair though, I don't plug in often so battery changes are not a real common thing for me.

gilded

Reaction score
Al, I think the Loc 'n Load was an 18v system. Mine did not quack and it was the best sound I ever got at stage volume (a sound-hole cover helped).

It was also a heavy product and added approximately 1.5 lbs. to an already heavy D55, so in that sense I didn't miss it, when they went out the door.

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
the union of Seymour Duncan and Rick Turner to form D-TAR, Duncan-Turner Acoustic Research. Whether Guild carried it exclusively or not, it was still obtained thru D-TAR.

Even if Duncan and Turner are no longer in this partnership you might try contacting either or both of them to see if they can give you the source for the original parts and/or might have something leftover lying around...otherwise, there are used parts that are coming up for sale on occasion...or perhaps even a guitar that was destroyed but the part was salvaged...patience might get you a solution...or you can just upgrade...technology does change rapidly...my instrument pictured is from the 80's...I would love to be in a position to upgrade...35 year old technology is merely a dinosaur...Barbera makes some really nice systems...used in Guild's Doyle Dykes signature instruments including 12 string.

https://www.barberatransducers.com/guitar_pickups.html

Sorry it doesn't want to post as a link...happens sometimes...just copy/paste into your browser and it should work.

Note also: as Doyle is back with Guild they may be working on something and have a system in mind already that could be adapted to fit your guitar,

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Actually, I may have this wrong, Al, but I think Load 'n Lock was a Guild-only product. It might've even been designed by Guild. Not at all sure why I think that, but seems to me I heard something about that at the time they discussed dropping it with us at the Let's Meet Guild event.
Don't recall ever hearing that.
But a little internet searching yielded these comments in post #5 of this thread from the Seymour Duncan User Group Foum:

"Welcome to the UGF, Acuestick. By way of disclosure, I am a co-founder and one of the original owners of D-TAR, so my comments reflect my bias.
The 7/8" hole is only slightly wider diameter than the normal end-pin hole. And it's drilled in the end-pin block which is nearly tonally inert. There is a big aluminum collar that's removed for battery access. But the size of that collar isn't reflective of the diameter of the battery access hole. Second, the Load 'n Lock (note the product name) is not available in the Multi-Source version. Just the standard, single-source WaveLength, and it's primarily an OEM product that was used semi-exclusively in mid-2000s USA-made Guilds."

Seems to confirm your "foggy memory" of it being exclusive, but I'd be surprised if Guild actually designed it just because it'd be outside of their wheelhouse at the time, but they may well have asked DTAR to give 'em construction proposals for an idea they had to fill a perceived need.
A light just went on:
Given that the "T" in DTAR is Rick Turner, of Alembicized SF Basses fame, there was already some shared heritage between 'em.
And if Guild was actually the primary user and moved on to the Dual Source that could explain why Duncan dropped it more than anything else.

Al, I think the Loc 'n Load was an 18v system. Mine did not quack and it was the best sound I ever got at stage volume (a sound-hole cover helped).
You are correct and I stand humbly corrected (thank you!), think I was confusing it with the transition from the Fishman Matrix to the DTAR system.
From that same thread linked above:
"Anyway, I think Fishman and Baggs made great products. In fact, the undersaddle element in the Multi-Source is the same one used in some Baggs systems (but everything else is D-TAR exclusive). I just think D-TAR's high-voltage, high-headroom preamp is a "better mousetrap." YMMV. "

:tranquillity:

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
^ Thanks, Al. Either reason seems to point to Guild being the place to get (NOS) parts, if they're not available from Duncan (as the OP said).