Star hits 1975 Guild F-512 on mic boom stand.

idealassets

Reaction score
I do everything possible not to let this happen, since every dent would have me cringe. You can see here in the live performance, where at 2:10 there's a "Whack" to the headstock and the impact projects through the PA. It is cringeworthy since you can only imagine all these clunks and hits accumulating all over the guitar. I thought he would be watching out for this, since I always try to watch out even while seemingly distracted: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a-VIMxCmTo

Antney

Reaction score
Best thing that ever happened to my pristine 93 d50 was its first good whack and ding. After that I was free to play the hell of if it unabashedly. But I get where you’re coming from, but these things do happen, don’t they?

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I have a tendency to walk around the house a bit when playing. I've gotten a few dings that way...

walrus

Last edited:

crank

Reaction score
IMO if you are gigging a guitar a few dings are par for the course. Having said that I am about to start gigging with my pristine 412 and will try to be super careful. I use to walk around the house with my G37 and got some real good dings and scratches that way. Stopped doing that a ling time ago. I also feel like scratches and dings don't matter to the sound and playability of a guitar and I am a player not a collector nor a seller.

On another note, I used to really like Supertramp so thanks for posting the video.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He's been playing them since the 70s, I'm sure. Heck, for some, THAT song is why they got a 12 string !

idealassets

Reaction score
He's been playing them since the 70s, I'm sure. Heck, for some, THAT song is why they got a 12 string !

Yes, exactly. I began to watch video's of some of my favorite songs. First nice guitar I got was a used F50 after seeing Bonnie Raitt playing Angel From Montgomery. Additionally Give a Little Bit was a great song when it first came out and I bought the album. To learn that one of the greatest guitar parts ever were all merely strummed (very expertly) on a Guild F-512, I couldn't believe my luck that you could still actually go out and buy that very guitar. That's just what I did except for 33 years after the song was out.

Interesting thing is that I checked Sam Ash stores in NY, who had about 14 F412/F512 total available; and Sweetwater who had 12 F412/F512 available and decided to jump in my car a week later and drive to Sweetwater and pick one out. Only problem is that by that time Sam Ash was totally sold out, and Sweetwater had only 1 F512 left, period. I thought the one available F512 left at Sweetwaterl was shunned because of a bear claw top, but had to have one, so bought it anyway (was in 2010). In time the bear claw has become more darkened, but it has been a great guitar and I actually like the bear claw pattern now.

Now as far as playing this song goes, for just a "simple" strum song you have to put a lot of work into it to get through it properly all the way.

Still liking this group and all their songs many years later, but mainly because I lived through that era..

Last edited:

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Methinks both "bumps" are funny.

First one is light bump on boom stand - naturally it comes through pa-system - any moving of mike stand is audible.
Second one is funny - actually it is downright hilarious.

Brucebubs

Reaction score
He hit a little bit.
Just a little bit on the mic boom stand.
He hit a little bit.

Last edited:

idealassets

Reaction score
Methinks both "bumps" are funny.

First one is light bump on boom stand - naturally it comes through pa-system - any moving of mike stand is audible.
Second one is funny - actually it is downright hilarious.

It looks to me like he only hits his guitar once. What is the second one that is hilarious, like where in the video is the first time, and then the second time? Maybe I haven't noticed all of it yet.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
It looks to me like he only hits his guitar once. What is the second one that is hilarious, like where in the video is the first time, and then the second time? Maybe I haven't noticed all of it yet.

The "second one" is in post #7...

walrus

idealassets

Reaction score
The "second one" is in post #7...

walrus

Yeah, but I tend to think that #7 is staged though- it doesn't quite look real. You can take a cheap guitar after it dropped and broke and then make a video for youtube trying to get a million views or something. Still slightly funny.

But to take a super cool 1975 guitar and bang it, ouch.. I can no longer find it, but a video was posted showing the luthier of this F512 guitar giving it a sound check after working on it. After all those years, and all that dough keeping it up to snuff, and then bango. In interviews Roger sais he plays this guitar while walking out in the woods. That's how he got some of his song ideas.

I know this defies the Guild tradition of made to be played, but I have 2 cheap junk guitars that I play if the setting is dubious, i.e. outdoors in a tent where its 90 degrees, but going to drop to 68 after it gets dark. That way I can save my good guitars for the right situations.

beecee

Reaction score
He makes that thing look small...I googled his height...5'11"...surprised, thought he'd be taller

idealassets

Reaction score
He makes that thing look small...I googled his height...5'11"...surprised, thought he'd be taller

Seems as though his guitar strap is set for the guitar slightly high on him. Maybe that makes it look smaller? Also has been playing this guitar on all their albums since about 1974. That's a lot of experience wielding it around all over studios and stages.

F312

Reaction score
He switches for that song with a maple Guild jumbo too.

Ralph

ezstrummer

Reaction score
More of a light tap if you ask me. It wouldn't bother me if was just that...