Vintage D-40 Information

Reaction score
Hello:
I have recently purchased what appears to be a 1956 Guild D-40 according to a serial # dating guide that I found online.
I know nearly nothing about this apparently vintage guitar and have been looking for some idea of the market value if it is in fact a very old D-40. .
To me it appears to be in decent condition with some normal minor signs of wear and the neck may need a little adjustment. It has a great sound even with the old strings that are definitely in need of replacement.
The serial # is AJ-2861 on the tag inside that says it was made in Hoboken NJ. The serial # is also stamped into the back of the headstock.
As I have looked around at different sites I do not see any comments or information referencing a Guild D-40 from the 50s.

If anyone here could enlighten me regarding what this guitar might be worth that would be appreciated. Thanks and best regards.

Reaction score
Hey thanks I see now that I was off base a decade or so. I was referencing the number and not the prefix. Still seems to be a nice guitar. Thanks again.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! The online serial # dating guides for Guild guitars are well-known for being misleading and outright mistaken. The "Bible" that Default refers to is the "Guild Guitar Book" by Hans Moust (1995) that covers the first 25 years of the company. It's out of print now, but copies do pop up on eBay from time to time. It is the authoritative volume on the early years of the company. The Guild D-40 model was introduced in 1963.

Other members may have some info about how much these guitars have been selling for recently on eBay and Reverb. Or you could do a History search on those sites for previous sales.

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
As others have noted, value is almost always based on condition. If you're able to share photos, some of the experts here might be able to at least ballpark it for you.

Stuball48

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Walter Carter of Carter's Vintage Guitars in Nashville sold a 1971 D40 for me this month. My part was $900 and you know Walter made money. It was in excellent shape with a recent neck set so it will serve buyer for years. Plus or minus $$$ depending on condition.

Reaction score
Thanks. I think this guitar is in basically nice shape with the neck needing hopefully needing a minor adjustment. Thanks for the great info.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Hello:
I have recently purchased what appears to be a 1956 Guild D-40 according to a serial # dating guide that I found online.
I know nearly nothing about this apparently vintage guitar and have been looking for some idea of the market value if it is in fact a very old D-40. .
To me it appears to be in decent condition with some normal minor signs of wear and the neck may need a little adjustment. It has a great sound even with the old strings that are definitely in need of replacement.
The serial # is AJ-2861 on the tag inside that says it was made in Hoboken NJ. The serial # is also stamped into the back of the headstock.
As I have looked around at different sites I do not see any comments or information referencing a Guild D-40 from the 50s.

If anyone here could enlighten me regarding what this guitar might be worth that would be appreciated. Thanks and best regards.

Welcome aboard Gort!
Klaatu Barada Nikto!
:smile:
No surprise there's no info about '50's D40's on the net, since D40's were introduced in 1963, and you've already had the assist on correct date for your guitar.
Also be aware that it most likely wasn't actually made in Hoboken but Westerly RI, where production was relocated over a couple of years spanning late '66 to '68.
I think by '69 only some high-end guitars like 12-strings and electrics were still being built in Hoboken which was completely shut down some time in '69.
Guild just kept using those Hoboken labels for a couple of years after the move.
As others mentioned, Hans Moust is the man who can nail it down for your specific guitar, and it may have a small impact on value as there are those who do prefer Hoboken builds.
They believe they're lighter and more resonant, but that early in the transition the Westerlys were still being built that way too.
I suspect you may be unware that "the neck may need a little adjustment" could be interpreted a couple of different ways:
There's a truss rod that can be adjusted to make the neck "flatter' but that's a different issue than the fact that necks tend to get "pulled up" by string tension over the years which means the strings get higher in relation to the fretboard, makes playing more difficult.
The truss rod can't correct that.
The "real" fix for that is a neck reset, literally take off and re-glue the neck so it's at its original angle again.
A D40 in good condition otherwise is probably worth having that work done, and there's a quick DIY method to determine "neck alignment".
Let us know if you want more info, and yes, in this case, pics are worth far more than 1000 words.
:friendly_wink:
Oh, if you want to contact Hans about where it was actually made, he's a member here, likes to be contacted directly as his private mailbox here tends to get full pretty often.
Follow this link and use the "send email" button:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/member.php?23172-hansmoust

Last edited:

Br1ck

Reaction score
Hans dated my D 35 to 1970 and made in Westerly though it has a Hoboken label. Whatever you do, don't shave the bridge, as it is Brazilian rosewood. Hans was down to two, one of which I bought several years ago. This vintage is my favorite. I invested $1200 in a neck reset, frets, bridge, saddle and nut. Money I will never get back, but money I've never regretted spending. Someone striped the finish off the neck too, so I had it lightly sprayed. Left the tuners stock because they work. I did get the guitar cheap due to the needed work.

I keep trying instruments, new and used, in the $1500 ballpark, and none have played and sounded as good as my D 35. What these D 35s and D 40s have is evenness across the frequency spectrum. They don't have that bass like a D 18 that bluegrassers want, but they are great to sing with.

Last edited:

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hans dated my D 35 to 1970 and made in Westerly though it has a Hoboken label. Whatever you do, don't shave the bridge, as it is Brazilian rosewood. Hans was down to two, one of which I bought several years ago. This vintage is my favorite. I invested $1200 in a neck reset, frets, bridge, saddle and nut. Money I will never get back, but money I've never regretted spending. Someone striped the finish off the neck too, so I had it lightly sprayed. Left the tuners stock because they work. I did get the guitar cheap due to the needed work.

That's the way ya gotta look at it I think. Just like with pets if they are special there is no cap on what you'd spend to get them right. Good on you!!!!!

Reaction score
Thanks for the great info. I will probably keep this guitar although my original plan was to sell it. It has a great sound. Thanks again.