Public Service Announcement: humidification time!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hi folks,

Friendly neighborhood Chazmo here with my annual PSA about winter humidity.... Having cracked two guitars in the past due to ignorance, take my first-hand word for it; guitars need care and feeding when the humidity drops.

Here in the northeast, winter is kicking in. My guitar room is down to 40%RH and dropping because I have baseboard heating and my windows are closed/locked for winter.... Bad combination for the guitars, but welcome to the northeast!

Anyway, Guild bretheren and sisteren, get your humidifiers on! :)

Best wishes.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
*snicker* I have been trying to remember to do that for a week or two now. Finally did it tonight. Just finished, sat down and get your timely reminder.

jedzep

Reaction score
Whaa?? Don't you love that special crispy top response at 45%RH? Just don't let anyone take guitars into the room with the woodstove.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
You guys kill me. I've spent so much money on humidifier wickes and now we're switching to heat instead of a/c which is even more brutal!! SAVE ME!!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
No worries here:
83a12d6b66cdc3c09ad339ab3f423860.jpg

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:)

Tom, well, yeah... You folks in the desert have to deal with this non-stop. I feel for you.

Last year, my room humidifier developed a leak and caused some damage to my hardwood floor in my living room. Still, I'd rather that than damage my guitars! :)

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
We had an unusual cold front blow through a couple of weeks ago when we reached 19 degrees, and my 2 hygrometers read 21% humidity in the house. I did three things.....I ran the room humidifier, cased the guitars and stuck Kyser soundhole humidifiers in them, and stuck a small cup of water in the cases.

West

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha, West, don't forget about those cups of water when you go to play one of your guitars!

West R Lee

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Ha, West, don't forget about those cups of water when you go to play one of your guitars!

Oh, I wont Marc. Cases are laying on the pool table. When laying there, I know not to pick the cases up, as does my wife. Could be bad though, ha? : )

West