Never forget those who laid down their lives so we can live in freedom.

steve488

Reaction score
Guild Total
Many lives have come and gone;
And injuries abound;
For each the sound of freedom rings;
An awesome mighty sound;
Remember them on everyday;
For those gave part or whole;
For all those lives still breathe today;
The heart of freedom’s soul.

To all of those that have served or still serve - Thank you for your service and your sacrifice!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Veterans Day to all who have served, and my own personal soldier boy here at home. Thank You!! :encouragement:

kumzLq.jpg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1. Thanks to all the veterans for your service!

walrus

bobdcat

Reaction score
In the US, we do it backwards. In much of the world, November 11 is "Remembrance Day" for those who fought and died in World War I. In the US, we do that on Memorial Day in May. Our November 11 is reserved for celebrating veterans - like my wife, who was an aerographer's mate in the Navy during the Vietnam era.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
My Dad would have been 98 this year. He was part of the Invasion of Normandy and went on through France into Germany. He drove a gasoline supply truck with the Quartermaster Division, had a .50 cal machine gun mounted on the roof, he had to stand on the truck seat and pop up through a hole in the roof to operate it.

gilded

Reaction score
My band is headed by a wonderful guy who served in the Marine Corps. He plays guitar, bass, harp, banjo, piano and a few other things too silly to mention.

For the last 10 years we have performed at a Veteran's Day Observance here in North-Central Texas, between Dallas and Fort Worth, at Veterans Park, Arlington Texas, including the one today! We do it come rain or shine, although sometimes we move it indoors, due to truly inclement weather.

In that time, I have met some truly great people (all of whom are Vets, of course).

For me, it's not about politics or political philosophy, far from it. It's about meeting people who are/were willing to risk their lives to care for me and my family. They are all modest, I am in their debt. They are all good folks, it's about respect.

I'd tell you more, but then it would be about me and not them.

gilded

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
For me, it's not about politics or political philosophy, far from it. It's about meeting people who are/were willing to risk their lives to care for me and my family. They are all modest, I am in their debt. They are all good folks, it's about respect.

I'd tell you more, but then it would be about me and not them.

gilded
Well said, Harry..... very well said!! :encouragement:

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My father's oldest brother was in England as a gunner on a B-24 in late '42 and early '43 (67th Squadron, 44th Bomb Group). Early enough in the fight that fighter cover over German soil on those first bombing missions was non-existent. In March of '43 his B-24 has hit by flak over Wilhelmshaven on a mission to bomb the harbor and submarine pens. They were finished off over the North Sea by a Bf109. Everyone bailed out, but only two survived the cold March North Sea. My uncle's body was identified by one of he survivors and his body was returned to the U.S. after the war. He's buried 20 feet away from my grandparents and my dad.

This is his photo next to his final station - he was the tail gunner on his last mission. The aircraft is Witchcraft, the only airworthy B-24, maintained by the Collings Foundation. I had a chance to fly aboard her last September and I am astounded by what these youth did.

Rz1SgJtl.jpg

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hello

My father would be 106 next month - he passed away peacefully almost 23 years ago.
He was in artillery - as I understand it, he had about 100 cannons under his command.
He never talked about war unless I asked.
Even then he never spoke about the so-called "success".
He emphasized how tragic it was.
He wrote a book about it -
He lost many of his childhood friends - and must have seen dozens get killed.
Somehow he managed to maintain his sanity and raise the family with my mother - who also lived those days.

We young have no idea how it was or felt - we can read and try to understad.

And we can work for those things never to happen again.

gilded

Reaction score
Hello

My father would be 106 next month - he passed away peacefully almost 23 years ago.
He was in artillery - as I understand it, he had about 100 cannons under his command.
He never talked about war unless I asked.
Even then he never spoke about the so-called "success".
He emphasized how tragic it was.
He wrote a book about it -
He lost many of his childhood friends - and must have seen dozens get killed.
Somehow he managed to maintain his sanity and raise the family with my mother - who also lived those days.

We young have no idea how it was or felt - we can read and try to understad.

And we can work for those things never to happen again.

Nuuska,

Thanks for telling us about your father and mother, for sharing their story.

Regards, Harry aka gilded

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
In the US, we do it backwards. In much of the world, November 11 is "Remembrance Day" for those who fought and died in World War I. In the US, we do that on Memorial Day in May. Our November 11 is reserved for celebrating veterans - like my wife, who was an aerographer's mate in the Navy during the Vietnam era.

We originally did observe it as "Armistice Day" like most of the victor nations of WWI, but WWII caused a move to rename it among many of the Allied Nations:
"During World War II, many Western countries and associated nations changed the name of the holiday accordingly to commemorate the end of World War II in Europe. Member states of the Commonwealth of Nations adopted Remembrance Day, while the United States government opted for Veterans Day".
To be fair I only learned about that when my grandmother gave me a little brass commemorative medallion from France she'd had since Armistice Day, enscribed "Le Meilleur du Monde".
(Her father was French immigrant and didn't serve.)
Memorial Day is actually the day specifically dedicated to those who actually died while serving; Veteran's Day acknowledges the sacrifices of all veterans.
:tranquillity:
Let's not forget that heroes aren't only found in the military or only in the victor nations:
9/11 Memorial
0c.jpg

and
51A-yg9CR8L.jpg

Apologies for "shock" value but those guys put their own love of country above a morally questionable pledge of loyalty to a single man and didn't "just follow orders".
Most paid the ultimate price for it.

Last edited: