Jut Got Back From Local Sam Ash And...

crank

Reaction score
I, very briefly, played 4 Guild Westerly Collection Guitars. All had super old strings and sounded like crap.

Played a really nice sounding and playing Martin D18 asking price around $3,500. None of the others sounded as good, to my ears as my old G37.

I played a 2K Gibson that sounded terrible - tinny. and a 4K Taylor that sounded and played nice but not nearly 4K nice.

What I did like was the Taylor T4 (I think) hybrid. Asking price around $1,800something.. Also tried a couple Michael Kelly hybrids which did not play as well or have a clean enough acoustic tone for me. Wanted to try some Godin's but they had none in stock. Really looking to spend around $600 and have seen some on Reverb and CL but wanted to try them out first to see if viable.

I confess, after playing my first full gig with my acoustic project and switching between my 6 and 412 my left hand was killing me. Thinking about a hybrid for ease of playing and would still use the 412 for 3 or 4 songs per set. Plus some songs I could go more electric on with a hybrid and that would work with a lot of our material.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I played a Taylor T5 once - very nice! Over your price range, though. A Godin A6 is very nice guitar in your price range, but as you said, hard to find. Maybe buy one on-line at GC, have them ship it to your local store to try it/ You can always return it right then and there. Maybe Sam Ash does that, too? I did that with a Godin Montreal that I thought I would like but did not once I got a chance to play it.

Too bad Guild Peregrine's are expensive, that would be a great option!

BTW, left hand comfort and playability is why I went to Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze Extra Light strings on my acoustic guitar. Gauges .10 - .50. Sort of in between D'Addario extra light gauge and D'Addario custom light gauge.

Not for everyone, but my F-30RCE really sounds good with them, and I love the playability.

walrus

crank

Reaction score
I'm guessing you could buy that $3,500 Martin for around $2,800. Don't know if that's unreasonable or not. It is a very nice dread. I like dreads. One is enough for me though and I am happy enough with the one I have.

Nuuska

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks! I do have one I would add to that but I want to keep LTG a "family" place.

How about this?
I give you a "not-so-usual" finnish word that translate apps do not know?
naturally you have to take my wordt, that it is something equivalent of the ones you refuse to use now.

Prrrrkll

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How about this?
naturally you have to take my wordt, that it is something equivalent of the ones you refuse to use now.

Prrrrkll

OK. I'll bite.

$3500 for a D-18? What the Prrrrkll?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
How about this?

Prrrrkll

Rhymes with Urkel?
165ca2768ae59c7c53bf8ef300a16f1e

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
went to a local GC other day, played a lot of different acoustics. they all sound lame compared to my old D25Br. and the Br has old strings on it too. it's hard for newer guitars to compete with 48 years of wood age.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Still kickin' myself for letting go a D 25 BR in minty condition a few years back. Same thing with a few other really nice Guilds I've owned over the years. Sometimes I just don't know why the hell I do what I do. It's a mystery.

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Where's the real Westerly Wood and what have you done with him?!?!?

LOL Al, I figured you would notice my recent and rather surprising transformation re strings and changing them. And I am using just the simple D'A EJ11s, so light gauge 80/20s. I learned, being patient finally, that my old Guild dread sounds better with dead strings on it, and NOT phos bronze after all.

:)

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Still kickin' myself for letting go a D 25 BR in minty condition a few years back. Same thing with a few other really nice Guilds I've owned over the years. Sometimes I just don't know why the hell I do what I do. It's a mystery.

well, do not get me wrong here Ricahard, I would love a D50 :) But the more I just wait, and play the Br, the less I want another Guild dread, or any other acoustic for that matter. I just be getting old and gaining some slight wisdom...

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a BR Wood be a thing to have excuse the pun, it's out of my control.

I suppose I could strip the Cherry down and Re-Ranch it... or not.

I'm still getting used to how red it is, and the coolest crazing that gets better each time you pick it up.

Just learn to love the red. My 1st album with it will be Red Dawn ;)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Yeah, a BR Wood be a thing to have excuse the pun, it's out of my control.

I suppose I could strip the Cherry down and Re-Ranch it... or not.
On the other hand, bet if you gave it a cigarette ash finish polish to get out all the scuffing, you could really make it pop.