Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Need some expert advice..........F47M for a 70 Martin D18?

  1. #1

    Need some expert advice..........F47M for a 70 Martin D18?

    I advertised my 1970 Martin D18 on Craigslist about 2 months ago and said I'd trade for a Guild F412 or D55 instead of cash. (Not a Martin fan and don't like the tone) So this morning a guy offered to trade me a Guild F47M (burst finish) that looks beautiful. The Martin needs a reset so I'm guessing that's about 300 - 400. On the surface this seems like a good trade to me. Not that I'm biased towards Guilds or anything *cough cough* but I really like the look of the F47 and the videos I've seen online, the tone is great.

    So...Ö what do the experts say???? I don't know much about the F47s and I'm not sure what year it is. I'll get that info this evening but what do you all think?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    I think it is a lot like the F48 but maple. but not 100% sure, someone be around soon to confirm or correct:

    http://westerlyguildguitars.com/guitars/f48.html

    As I am not a D18 fan either, I would do this trade.
    Wood

    down to just the Br ('71 D25) again...

    https://soundcloud.com/woody-adams/sets/not-metal

  3. #3
    I remember now I did have one. (In my D-60 post I said I never had a maple 6). Not sure why the heck I ever sold it. Lovely guitar, big block inlays, slightly smaller than the F-50 series jumbo body but it was lovely. Did everything I needed back then...hmm..why DID I sell it??

    If it looks anything like this one here you'd be a fool to pass it by. http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/product/guild-f-47m/

    Just make sure it is not a F-47M CE (would have electronics in bass side of guitar).
    NH 2011 D-40 Standard, 2014 Orpheum 000-12 Fret SH Hog, 2010 F-412, 2010 F-512.

    Westerly: Songbird, JF-30-12, 1976 F-212, 1971 D-25 CH, 1982 D-70, F4CE, 1996 D-26, 1972 F-30

    Westerly Series OM-140 SB

    Ibanez V-302

    Madeira A-2...(don't laugh!)

    Most of the pain associated with my playing comes from having to listen to me. frono

  4. #4
    Looks exactly like that one. I hope it goes through, maybe there will be another NGD post soon! Thanks all
    Last edited by Cheab; 11-08-2019 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Misspelled

  5. #5
    I've never played a D18, but I played a F47 in a store a while back and was completely blown away. I kept stopping playing and looking at it again and again thinking " How does this little thing make all that noise??"

  6. #6
    Senior Member adorshki's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Sillycon Valley CA
    Posts
    27,041
    Quote Originally Posted by Westerly Wood View Post
    I think it is a lot like the F48 but maple. but not 100% sure, someone be around soon to confirm or correct:
    Just to keep you on your toes, F48's were 17" lower bouts, essentially a 'hog-bodied F50.
    All F47s were derived from basic 16" lower bout F40 outline, the original was a flat-back 'hog body and a little shallower than the maple archback F40 it replaced for a few years.
    Went away again for few years from early '70's to early '80's and then revived as Guild's first dedicated cutaway a/e, the F45ce, which yielded several variants in body woods and arched/flatback versions, and eventually morphed back into the F47ce/F47Mce/F47Rce in late '90's Westerly.

    Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    I remember now I did have one. (In my D-60 post I said I never had a maple 6). Not sure why the heck I ever sold it. Lovely guitar, big block inlays, slightly smaller than the F-50 series jumbo body but it was lovely. Did everything I needed back then...hmm..why DID I sell it??
    If it looks anything like this one here you'd be a fool to pass it by. http://www.sprucetreemusic.com/product/guild-f-47m/
    That's gonna be a Tacoma or NH era F47 note those have ADI tops which will aid in slaying Martin dreadnoughts.
    About 99% certain open tuners on that one make it a New Hartford, think Tacoma still had closed machines until the end ('08).
    New Hartfords listed for around $3500 IIRC.
    Saw a VVG Tacoma sold for $1300.00 4 years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by beecee View Post
    Just make sure it is not a F-47M CE (would have electronics in bass side of guitar).
    Beecee why in the world would you think an F47Mce (Maple cutaway electric) is something to avoid?
    Is it the barn door for the Fishman?
    OK, if that's the case, can't argue with personal preference and admittedly I'm influenced by its presence in my F65ce which is 95% similar to an F47Mce, being only a bit shallower and having an arched back and Venetian (round) cutaway compared to the later Tacoma and NH F47MC's. (Neither of which will have the barn door)
    But gives up very little to both my dreads for volume and still out-sustains the D40. Was even louder for awhile until the D40 finally opened up.
    Last edited by adorshki; 11-08-2019 at 10:21 PM.
    Al
    "Time May Change the Technique of Music But Never Its Mission " - Rachmaninoff
    My 1st Guild: '96 Westerly D25NT "Hally" (10-31-96 stamped on heelblock)
    #2: '01 Westerly F65ce "Blondie"
    #3: '03 Corona D40e Richie Havens "Richie"
    All bought new!

  7. #7
    It sounds like a good deal. Martin had a lot of quality problems in the early seventies, so the neck reset is no surprise. Some of them even had the bridges in the wrong place! There were a lot of other issues, too. I recently sold a '71 D-28 for about $1,800 and was glad to get it.

    So if you like maple, I think you're there.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    . . . Beecee why in the world would you think an F47Mce (Maple cutaway electric) is something to avoid? . . .
    Don't know about Beecee, but I'd cross the street to avoid it! I don't like maple, don't like cutaways, and don't like a bunch of gadgets to fool with. Give me a plain old folk guitar any day!

  9. #9
    Itís not a cutaway and looks exactly like the one in the link above. Getting the label picture tonight and more pics. Probably trade Monday night. He said the back had a ridiculous flamed maple. (Iím not into that as much as I am a good sounding guitar). Iím curious of the year and where it was made. Thanks for the great advice, I just got my Guild Guitar book by Hans so I can be a little more knowledgeable on the older stuff.

    Is there a similar book for post 77 Guilds out there? It amazes me how much you all know about Guilds.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by adorshki View Post
    Just to keep you on your toes, F48's were 17" lower bouts, essentially a 'hog-bodied F50.
    All F47s were derived from basic 16" lower bout F40 outline, the original was a flat-back 'hog body and a little shallower than the maple archback F40 it replaced for a few years.
    Went away again for few years from early '70's to early '80's and then revived as Guild's first dedicated cutaway a/e, the F45ce, which yielded several variants in body woods and arched/flatback versions, and eventually morphed back into the F47ce/F47Mce/F47Rce in late '90's Westerly.



    That's gonna be a Tacoma or NH era F47 note those have ADI tops which will aid in slaying Martin dreadnoughts.
    About 99% certain open tuners on that one make it a New Hartford, think Tacoma still had closed machines until the end ('08).
    New Hartfords listed for around $3500 IIRC.
    Saw a VVG Tacoma sold for $1300.00 4 years ago.

    .
    Whatís an ADI top?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •