Westerly - reverse angle

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't think I've seen a photo of the Westerly factory from this side before (maybe because it's not as compelling?).

Westerly%20factory%202017.jpg

wileypickett

Reaction score
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there were other businesses in that building in addition to Guild. It's a humonguous space.

I visited the site a few years ago, decades after Guiid left. When I went there, there may have been as many as 10 different businesses in operation, most of them accessible from the back of the back of the building. (There's an alley running parallel to the street, behind the building.)

In the old days, the Guild entrance was at the other end.

I don't know how large their operation was at the time, but I don't think it filled the entire building.

Am I wrong?

Glenn

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I was fortunate to visit when Guild was still there. Unfortunately I was unable to get past the front desk! However, they did send me home with some of their newest literature at the time.

I had been calling them for a few years to find dates of serial numbers. They always had to check with "Willie". I wanted to meet "Willie". I didn't get to!

Eventually they tired of me calling and faxed me what I am led to believe was one of their first "published" serial number lists. Of course we now come to find that it has a myriad of errors in it but it was like the Holy Grail to me at the time!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I was fortunate to visit when Guild was still there. Unfortunately I was unable to get past the front desk! However, they did send me home with some of their newest literature at the time.
I had been calling them for a few years to find dates of serial numbers. They always had to check with "Willie". I wanted to meet "Willie". I didn't get to!
Bet that was Willie Fritscher, the guy I keep citing as responsible for all that magnificent wood from the early'70's on, eventually became Plant Manager:
http://www.westerlyguildguitars.com/articles/woodselection.pdf
In fact, it occurs to me that maybe you never got to meet him because he was out sourcing wood!
:highly_amused:

On another tangent, regarding the subdivisions in the building, I recall somebody's post who'd visited the address maybe 6 or 7 years ago (was that actually you, Wiley?) and said that there was some kind of thrift/charity store that I think must have been located in the end we see in that photo.
Ah, here we go, Jonnycake Center of Westerly:
misc%20022.jpg

Last edited:

wileypickett

Reaction score
On another tangent, regarding the subdivisions in the building, I recall somebody's post who'd visited the address maybe 6 or 7 years ago (was that actually you, Wiley?) and said that there was some kind of thrift/charity store that I think must have been located in the end we see in that photo.
Ah, here we go, Jonnycake Center of Westerly:
misc%20022.jpg

Yes, that was me! The thrift store entrance, pictured above, was (and maybe still is) at the opposite end of the building shown in the first photo.

The little doorway on the left (up the stairs, in the photo above) was the original entrance to Guild I believe. Their sign hung over that doorway in old photos.

The outcropping building with the handicap ramp and green awning was built after Guild departed the premises.

Again, correct me if I'm wrong!

Glenn

(Hey, my 2000th post! Do I win something?!)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
(Hey, my 2000th post! Do I win something?!)

California Brownie point awarded at 1000 posts as an acknowledgement of joining Club Kiloposter.
NO do-overs.
You snooze, you lose.
If it's any consolation, being California Brownies, they were imaginary anyway.
Next milestone is 10K posts which wins a virtual Oxnard D-55, but ONLY if CMG still owns Guild at that time.