New D-40 vs. D-40 Traditional

Reaction score
Hello all,

New to the forum and new to Guild. Very interested in the new Guilds, especially the D-40 and D-40 Trad. I understand all of the spec differences but really looking for input on sound differences. If this has been covered before I'd appreciate a link or where to look, didn't find anything browsing through.

Primarily a flat-picker, bluegrass, currently play a Larrivee OM-40, looking for a more powerful dread. Thanks in advance!

Love the sound of the Trad but could obviously save a little dough with the standard

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I can only speak to the D 40T. I have one in hand and one on the way. The one I do have is perhaps the best sounding Mahogany Guild Dread I've ever owned or played. I'm a below average player but have a pretty good ear for which guitars sound really good and which sound just good. The D 40 T is really good.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome, Ben, I'm pretty sure you can't go wrong with either of those Guilds.

Have you considered any vintage Guilds? My old D-25M is a Bluegrass cannon. The rosewood D-50's are also great Bluegrass guitars.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I played a Oxnard D40 Traditional at a local Sam Ash, and thought it was outstanding. I don't need another mahogany dread, but if I was in the market, I would give one some serious consideration.

bronzeback

Reaction score
Hi Ben. If you are looking new you'll see a good bit of money between the two. If that's something you can live with, go Traditional. I think the two major differences are the nitro finish, dovetail neck joint and Adi braces on the Traditional. I'd guess the bracing pattern may be different, also grade of Sitka but that's just a guess. If you're able to play both side by side that may make the decision for you. I have not spend any time with the Standard so can't help you with sonic differences. I can't imagine it doesn't sound great too. My D40T brings a lot of compliments on the tone, bass especially for a hog guitar, every time someone new hears it. I've said it before the Oxnard production is fantastic. The new models do pop up on the used market as well.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks all for the input!
Unfortunately, nowhere near me deals with Guild, so playing them is not an option. I do have a Guitar Center so returns are an option if necessary. Going off what youtube's I've heard I love the sound of the Trad. and the standard seems to be pretty loud. I just haven't heard them both in the style I'd be playing. They both seem to be a steal in their own price ranges. I'll probably end up going with the Trad but was looking to see how much of a difference there really is.