Corona D25

PittPastor

Reaction score
I have a friend who is looking at a Corona D25, with a serial number of CPM00004.

Anyone have any thoughts? Supposedly its been sitting in a case for 10 years. Barely used. You know "Only played by a little old lady in church once a week" kind of thing.

Is the "C" in the serial designating Corona? Maybe the M is Mahogany (just guessing) or do the letters mean nothing at all?

Anyone know?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I have a friend who is looking at a Corona D25, with a serial number of CPM00004.
Wow that would make it the 4th D25 out of Corona.

Anyone have any thoughts? Supposedly its been sitting in a case for 10 years. Barely used. You know "Only played by a little old lady in church once a week" kind of thing.
Does it have a paddle (wide at top like this):
IMG_0413_560x.jpg

or a snakehead
14728683713_b2ee0dc518_b.jpg

headstock?
Why I ask is that Corona saw the revival of the original all-mahogany formula for D25's and the return of the paddle style headstock as well.
Many years ago I was sure I saw a Corona D25 with a "snakehead" but am almost positive Hans corrected me saying Corona '25's all got paddles.
And since then have seen very early Corona D40's with snakeheads although by the time mine was built they had paddles as well.
So that made me think maybe I'd confused a Corona D40 with a D25 in faulty memory.
So a little bit idle curiosity, a little bit to say:
If it's got a "snakehead" then it's a pretty unusual bird.
Would it affect value?
Kind of doubt it, but Coronas seem to be aging well when it comes to sound and there's at least 3 or 4 here who love(d) that all-mahogany tone and you've got benefit of a much younger guitar with a likely longer useful life before major repair may be required.
FWIW Coronas don't get a lot of respect and it's an undeserved reputation.
True my D40 was surprisingly "quiet" (to me) when I first bought it; but it's aged and come into its own since then.
My personal experience is that all 3 of mine needed at least 200 hours of playing to truly come into their own so I'd bear that in mind when auditioning that D25, but an inexperienced player may not know that's something to look forward to.
I would expect it to have very very good "definition" though.
And the Coronas were the last US-built D25's, built only a couple of years before being replaced by the introduction of the GAD25 in late '03.
(Oxnard did bring it back as a "D20")
Value? Tough call partly due to not a lot of sales and partly due to aforementioned "bad rep" but I'm guessing maybe $5-600, primarily based on age, US-built, and high-quality case included?
I'd freely defer to more educated opinons, though.
Is the "C" in the serial designating Corona? Maybe the M is Mahogany (just guessing) or do the letters mean nothing at all?

Anyone know?

Don't recall if the "C" stood for Corona, but (IIRC) all Corona s/n prefixes are 2 or 3 letters beginning with a "C" and appear to have been arbitrarily picked to define a specific model, so all D25's were "CPM"'s, all D40's were "CVM"'s, all F50R's were "CUV"'s, etc.
Suspect the "M" is only coincidental for "Mahogany", don't recall ever seeing a "decoder" claiming to explain what the s/n prefixes meant, if anything, and pretty darn sure I would have remembered if I did, because Corona info's so scarce as it is.
Also "C" was briefly used in some Westerly s/n's.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
IMO, as an owner of several Corona D25s - assuming no neck angle issues - outstanding
guitars! Not quiet like you might assume an all-hog flat-back Guild guitar might tend to be -
these are loud and proud and bright.

sISQT6k.jpg

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I think the guy is offering the D25 for $400.

We're getting together to play tonight. I'll ask him if he has any pics.

Thanks again!

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sounds like a great price if it's in good shape!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a great price if it's in good shape!

Yep, and I can't recall ever seeing a beat-up one yet.
@ Pittpastor:
I'd just do the neck alignment check, you remember, how does a straight-edge laid down the centerline of the fretboard (with the strings loosened) align to the top of the bridge.
Unless it's been sitting in the case strung up with heavies for 16 years I'd be surprised if it doesn't still line up spot-on.
And doubt the "little old lady" would have strung it up with heavies.
:biggrin-new:
Also be aware that satin finish was standard on those, so don't be surprised, but it's still NCL.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
unless it was this old lady:
"Gladys finally gave up playing the organ and adapted to the new musical style at church."

Aw2IHW7.jpg

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'd describe the finish as a semi-gloss with a noticeable (fine) orange-peel.
Can't recall seeing this finish on other Guilds from this time period, but
the Corona D25s I've owned all had it, perhaps other models did too.

Complete photo album of this instrument: https://photos.app.goo.gl/MEmG5dgviMsJM9Wa6

f2zNgS2.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I'd describe the finish as a semi-gloss with a noticeable (fine) orange-peel.
On the assumption they were after the cost-savings of not expending valuable man-hours in buffing the layers to achieve full gloss, that might also explain the very fine "orange-peel".
Definitely not as bad as what's considered a QC fail in auto paint for example:
59185d1501529100-get-rid-orange-peel-paint-effect-deck.jpg

Note that one shows the little dimples also characteristic of a really bad orange peel, typically the result of insufficient drying time between coats but other causes are quick evaporation of thinner and improper painting technique, including incorrect spray gun setup (e.g., low air pressure or incorrect nozzle), spraying the paint at an angle other than perpendicular, or applying excessive paint, or coats.
Since we know Fender installed a brand new booth for Guild in Corona and had never sprayed NCL there before and had to train sprayers for nitro, and some of the earliest complaints were about finish blems, it doesn't strain one's credulity to suspect that they may have still been on a learning curve when spraying satin there.
But all the blems I recall hearing about involved premature checking in full gloss finishes.
Can't recall seeing this finish on other Guilds from this time period, but
the Corona D25s I've owned all had it, perhaps other models did too.
Can't recall ever seeing it on another Corona model, think it was only the D25's as the entry level model.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
So buy it already! Boy that's nice!

NO that's one of Bonneville's, not the for-sale piece Pittpastor's talking about.
But yeah finish on that one looks fine to me as long as it's completely consistent and no dimples.
Might have even outgassed to a lot smoother texture by now.

Last edited:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Comparison pics of two Corona D25s, CPM000097 (previously posted) followed by CPM000236.

Sheen and texture of clear coat remarkably similar - perhaps the entire production run of Corona D25s - or
this particular color perhaps? - was completed in a short period of time.
I've seen more of these red ones than anything else, a light blue example has been bouncing around for
sale off and on for several years, have seen several white instruments - one
of which I bought, one which slipped away, and exactly one odd but striking antique burst that also
eluded me - or I probably would have owned seven or eight of these by now. There's what appears to be
a natural hog (or "Cherry Brown" per the seller's description) example that's been on Reverb for quite some time.
https://reverb.com/item/12603774-guild-d25-2003-cherry-brown

Grassdog, appreciate the comment on the photos, thanks!
I have no Corona D25s for sale at present - I did sell both examples seen in these pics, think it was last year sometime.
I still have two, a white one and a red one, love them both - will part with them eventually though.
IMO build quality on the Corona D25s seems excellent.

f2zNgS2h.jpg

IVXyO3uh.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Comparison pics of two Corona D25s, CPM000097 (previously posted) followed by CPM000236.
Sheen and texture of clear coat remarkably similar - perhaps the entire production run of Corona D25s - or
this particular color perhaps? - was completed in a short period of time.
It wouldn't surprise me (about maybe making all of 'em at once), as short as the "model life" was in Corona, and suspect now that it was the model they used to "ramp up" much the same way Oxnard did with (perhaps not-so-coincidentally) satin-finished M20's. However as I composed this post and found that Surf Green example between these 2 Crimson Transparents, realized it was pretty unlikely that they made the whole run at once, at least not to the exclusion of other model production.
Seems more likely they would do a run here and there as orders reached a production level demand or maybe even just kept a small steady stream running?
I guess it all depends on how Corona was set up.
For sure you'd want to be able to fill orders for as many models as you could, as quickly as possible, but did they have the ability to make several models at once or was there something that made that impractical?
I'd also expect the spray booth usage would have been maximized for colors, such that several different models all destined for same color could be sprayed during the same "run" at the booth.
So crank out a bunch of jumbos and dreads in HG Natural or 'burst and then do run of D25's in Satin again...
Just "logic-ing" the thing out, but could easily be wrong..
I've seen more of these red ones than anything else, a light blue example has been bouncing around for sale off and on for several years
Betcha that's the Surf Green, think we've seen 3 different examples including one that was advertised as genuine New Old Stock that went for I think $900?, after starting with a $1200.00 BIN (!) about 3 or 4 years back?
have seen several white instruments - one
of which I bought, one which slipped away,
Pretty sure that must have been "Honey Blonde", it looked pretty white under the right lighting, but yeah as rare as the Surf Green
and exactly one odd but striking antique burst that also
eluded me - or I probably would have owned seven or eight of these by now.
Don't recall ever seeing on of those in 'burst but wonder if that's the "Brown Transparent"?
There's what appears to be
a natural hog (or "Cherry Brown" per the seller's description) example that's been on Reverb for quite some time.
https://reverb.com/item/12603774-guild-d25-2003-cherry-brown
Oh wow, that's gotta be the "Amber"!
First time I've ever seen one!:
xht4qaeaaghlqgik9tzt.jpg

But a "tough call", because in one playing clip photo it does look like it could be legitimately Brown, it's so dark, but I'd expect the brown to be even darker in those other shots.
Also that one, s/n 366, has that unusual headstock logo Ralf mentions in that other thread:
x5krzhgi1gs7kug7gwya.jpg

OK, think this one's gotta be "Brown" because it sure as you-know-where ain't "Cherry" or "Crimson Trans":
ii5l3fjjl5q0rzsyc9hk.jpg

OK, maybe "Crimson Transparent" if it's been significantly "color-shifted" through all its digital iterations, but still think it's "too yellow" to be Crismon:
wr94kwcuio6oac4omhzm.jpg

Looks distinctively different than the Crimsons I can see, which definitely do get very bright red like a traditional "Cherry" under sunlight, like the shoulders of the samples in Bonneville's pics, in other pics I've seen.

I looked this up yesterday but decided not to veer too far afield at the time.
But for the sake of celebrating the virtues of Corona D25's, now it seems like a good time to post Ralf's post #28 from here:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?167848-Sea-foam-green-Acoustic/page2 ,
because it's the only recap of the "official color names" for Corona D25's that I've ever seen.

That "dark blue" color was officially called "Sapphire Blue Transparent".
Actually what some shops called "Seafoam Green" on the D25 was officially called "Surf Green". Corona had no color written on the labels of the guitars. I guess Fender dealers started to look what Fender color looked similar and called them with sometimes incorrect names. At least I found the "official" color codes for 2003 D-25 models as follows: (The "Chrimson" was clearly wrongly spelled below, it should be "Crimson Red Transparent" I think)

(720) Amber,
(727) Sapphire Blue Transparent,
(732) Brown Transparent,
(738) Chrimson Transparent,
(757) Surf Green,
(767) Honey Blonde

Ralf

Along with a couple of examples since a lot of the links in that older thread are dead now anyway:
Steffan's Honey Blonde:
100_1678.jpg

Sapphire Blue Transparent:
ri2yl2khj6iv19yaqfxt.jpg

(showed the neck because I think it shows the actual color the best, more pics here: https://reverb.com/item/1424379-used-guild-d25-blue-satin-finish
Unfortunately also looks like an MIRC piece so can't see s/n to confirm if they shot different colors between Bonneville's 2 Crimson Transparents)
Oh wait, the Surf Green subject of the tread I linked was cited as s/n CPM000151; so they DID shoot different colors between those 2, assuming they didn't just randomly pull a certain number off the line for each color and then shoot colors successively and out of s/n sequence. But suspect more likely they shot "batches" of a given color and they stayed roughly in s/n order of production.
Surf Green is so rare that I can only find a couple of images:
guild_d25sfg_m.jpg

Oh wow, in fact that one's in Europe and also listed as NOS: $1950 euros(!!!)
https://www.station-musicshop.de/Guild-D25-Sea-Foam-Green-Dreadnought/en

Last edited:

PittPastor

Reaction score

I still have two, a white one and a red one, love them both - will part with them eventually though.
IMO build quality on the Corona D25s seems excellent.

Bonneville88, you're a class act.

And when you finally have to part with your Crimson D25, I'll probably shed a tear for ya... and then I'll PM you and ask "how much" -- because, you know, it needs a good home... (And I'm not even looking for a D25, but man -- that one's gorgeous!)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Bonneville88, you're a class act.

And when you finally have to part with your Crimson D25, I'll probably shed a tear for ya... and then I'll PM you and ask "how much" -- because, you know, it needs a good home... (And I'm not even looking for a D25, but man -- that one's gorgeous!)

BUT....BUT....BUT....What happened at the get-together?
OK I just realized, I thought you and your friend we going to look at the guitar together on Monday night, but I think I misinterpreted.
But has he tried it yet or is it a "Gotta wait for the weekend" type of issue?

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks PP - keep us posted, and if you're anywhere in striking distance, snap
some photos of the guitar! Or if you're friend doesn't want it,
a well-timed cashful swoop might be in order :angel:

Bonneville88

Reaction score
Guild Total
Al, thanks for the color clarification.

This is my other one, in Honey Blonde.
Photo doesn't do justice to the color though, not
much of the richness of the off-white coming through.
Intentional or not, there is a slight transparency to
the color - also, the sides appear ever so slightly more brown than
the top, which may be observable in the pic.

If I had to choose between the two based on sonic qualities alone,
I'd pick the Honey Blonde but only by a fret :wink:

GwG1Awc.jpg

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Al, thanks for the color clarification.
:smile:
Yer Welcome!
(and thanks to Ralf on my part)
This is my other one, in Honey Blonde.
Photo doesn't do justice to the color though, not
much of the richness of the off-white coming through.
Intentional or not, there is a slight transparency to
the color
- also, the sides appear ever so slightly more brown than
the top, which may be observable in the pic.
Pretty sure it was intentional as all the colors were "transparent" (even the Surf Green which is impossible to see in most pics) and Steffan mentioned the same thing about his.
In the case of those 2 colors it must have been pretty tricky to achieve.
If I had to choose between the two based on sonic qualities alone,
I'd pick the Honey Blonde but only by a fret :wink:
Steffan liked his a lot, too.
Wonder if they may have been siblings in a batch and shared a particularly serendipitous symbiosis of parts/build quality?