The pick considered

Antney

Reaction score
never knew there was such a thing....a left handed pick.

rpss7nqt3gsysuvlseom.jpg

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sorry, I ain't buyin' it; my buddy had 27 left-handed guitars but not a single left-handed pick...

So when he passed away his wife and I talked about what he might be doing up in heaven. She said "He's probably pllaying a left-handed harp." We laughed about that; we ascertained that there are no left-handed harps, just like there are no left-handed pianos or left-handed drums.

Sadly, he told me his teacher in elementary school would slap his left hand with a ruler and make him use his right hand for writing, etc. I can only imagine how quickly a teacher would be fired for trying that today, and for good reason.

I'm glad he persevered, he was a highly accomplished left-handed guitar player and we played well together.

[FONT=Verdana,Arial,Tahoma,Calibri,Geneva,sans-serif]
7D4b2iK.jpg
[/FONT]

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
You know, last night I was rummaging in my case and mistakenly grabbed an old Guild celluloid pick. I loved it!

Of course, it won't last as long as the Dunlop Primetone, although it quite a bit cheaper!

walrus

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
You know, last night I was rummaging in my case and mistakenly grabbed an old Guild celluloid pick. I loved it!

Of course, it won't last as long as the Dunlop Primetone, although it quite a bit cheaper!

walrus

Except, once it's gone there ain't no replacing it.
Well, not brand new from the factory anyway.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Except, once it's gone there ain't no replacing it.
Well, not brand new from the factory anyway.

I have several old Guild picks in a little collection I have in the case. And also some that came from the current Guild Store which I also like. After using celluloid again, I may have to use it some more - made me feel young again - reminded me of the days when celluloid was one of the few choices you had. You know, when life was simple, etc. etc. etc.

But more importantly the old classic sound and tone - I just wish they didn't make such a "celluloid dust" mess on the guitar when you play them hard. I need to start imagining a big crowd and tossing them out there after a few songs, and grab a new one...

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Not at that price! $75 starting bid!

I actually have several - a few of the different shapes, some of each gauge from the '60's (script logo) and '80's (shield logo), and some new ones from the The Guild Store. The new ones are pretty much the same as the ones from the '80's just a little different "tortoise shell" color.

BTW, talk about inflation! I bought a "crystal box" of 72 standard shape '80's Guild celluloid picks on eBay back in '08 for $25!

walrus

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah I have a couple of those boxes and I didn't pay anywhere near that much.

JF-30

Reaction score
I just sold these yesterday. They were too thick. Nice picks but too thick for me.

pwbkWp6.jpg

GGJaguar

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
After years of being pretty indifferent to picks, I settled on Dunlop Ultex .73s based on the noticeable clarity they brought to my acoustic guitars. The only downside is that they are practically invisible against anything other than a white surface. Drop one and you may never find it again.

Antney

Reaction score
The pick gods giveth back this weekend....Saturday when I opened the dryer door my favorite red Dunlop gel fell out, and yesterday when I moved my keyboard in my office the old red GC pick was underneath (crappy cheap plastic give away but I like it). Both times I thought to myself “oh...there you are”

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
We were in Colorado and New Mexico this past summer. There were at least 3 or 4 Native American artisans at the Palace of the Governors in Santa Fe selling guitar picks.

I picked up these:

DkgBpKrl.jpg

I don't use a pick too often, and I'm not sure about these as picks, but I certainly like the way they look.

Antney

Reaction score
found this little heavy charmer in an old guitar case this past weekend...the combination of this pick played over the guitars sweetspot (where the fretboard ends), with elixir strings and a rosewood body absolutely brings out the best in the guitar

s-l1000.jpg

F312

Reaction score
51xdD4QZmnL._SX425_.jpg

Little bit of give for fast strumming, doesn't slide around between your fingers, and never breaks like celluloid (at least the old nylon didn't, but they changed to something a little more brittle a few years back)

I have used this pick (Dunlop nylon .46mm) exclusively for over 25 years and two years ago I ordered a bunch of light picks and discovered the Clayton FBY53/12 Frost-Byte Standard 53MM

https://www.amazon.com/FBY53-12-Frost-Byte-Standard-Picks-53MM/dp/B001F4TQ0A

Ralph