Sex Wax and Wig Glue

Antney

Reaction score
Anyone use either of these, or anything else to help keep the plectrums in place?

Antney

Reaction score
I keep all my plectrums in place by keeping them in an old Altoid tin ;))

i had a good friend who did the same...his wife got frisky in the middle of the night, and the poor bastard reached for his tin on the nightstand...choked to death a few moments later...

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Oh dang, the things you never think of...

Back to yr original question, beeswax is some pretty damn sticky stuff. So is honey.

Cannabis (legal here) is some STICKY stuff. Squeeze a big fat green bud on the plant, and I don't think you'd have much trouble holding on to a pick after that ;))

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

https://www.coolthings.com/picband-puts-your-guitar-pick-on-a-tight-leash/

46959_0_wide_ver0.jpg@642

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/new...nt_you_from_ever_losing_your_guitar_pick.html

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Cannabis (legal here) is some STICKY stuff. Squeeze a big fat green bud on the plant, and I don't think you'd have much trouble holding on to a pick after that ;))

You may be on to something here, Guilded! It's a medical remedy; it's a pick gripper, wait, what was I doing...

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually, I just use Brain / Cat's Tongue picks, they grip your fingers.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I tried lots of picks to find one that had the sound I wanted, but also a grip I liked. For me, a pick with a raised grip doesn't feel right. But picks like Dunlop Ultex literally stick to my finger - I don't know why. Dunlop Tortex, which is supposed to be grippy, feels very slippery to me. I like the feel and sound of classic celluloid, but do not like how fast they wear out. I am using Dunlop Primetone .73 picks (made of Ultex) and love how they stay on my fingers and how they sound.

Try some different picks and you are sure to find something that feels "sticky" to you and sounds the way you want.

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
On my electric I use my 1964 US Kennedy Half-dollar pick exclusively; it has enough surface detail to grip my thumb and finger, especially after it warms up. It really makes those Ernie Ball Power Slinkys sing!

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Fun thread ;)

I fell in love with the gray Dunlops .60mm, and white (ultra thin .38mm), and black (thick 1mm) a long time ago, back in 1980 when I suddenly started letting out my own inner Angus... I always held the gray Dunlop sideways by the grippy part, only the feather edge of the pic does most of the contact, 80's pinch harmonics come to mind.

If that wasn't a grippy enough pic, try one of those thick gray Hercos, if they still make them?

I've been using the ultra thin lately on acoustic sometimes, usually when I hear a guy playing the mandolin across the room and suddenly get the urge to play mandolin solos on the guitar. Sounds amazing, on a Guild anyway ;) So I make sure one of those is in a my acoustic case when I go out and play. Let out your inner Bouzouki ;)

We should have just picks thread, or maybe I should start showing pictures of my picks, as if I had the time... but I've been collecting random cool ones for a long time, I have a goodly stash of old tortoise and other interesting ones.

I need a lightbox or similar to pass light through the pics from underneath, otherwise it's difficult to show the beauty of some of these old picks.

These days I find strumming with fingers to be capable of so many more subtle nuances and there's nothing to drop.

I'm also almost into my first year of fingerpicking, and I'm starting to finally understand chords/notes, and I'm coming up with my own patterns like mad, as well as still strengthening the basic rudiments.

So pics are of no use to me, unless they say Guild on them, like the giant one I got with a NOS Guild dreadnaught case (with purple interior and red accent, D25 Cherry looks stunning in it) from Clark's Music in Trenton NJ. Case must be for a D50, arched top, more latches than a medieval chastity belt, a bit too fancy a case for a D25 actually.

Even though nowadays I just look at them and watch them gather dust, I'm probably the only one here who has a book about picks next to his pillow... Picks! The Colorful Saga of Vintage Celluloid Guitar Plectrums by Will Hoover. In this book you'll notice that lots of old picks had a thin slice of cork glued to one side, some times a tiny cork donut. Get those old wine corks out and slice up some grippers, leather punch for the center hole. Some picks also had tiny cutouts in the sides to accommodate tiny rubber bands.

I also have quite a few vintage nickel fingerpicks, and swirloid plastic thumbpicks but I've never warmed up to those, they don't stay on my fingers and have never been worth the bother. I can do quite well with fingers playing slide, after going through a vintage nickel Dobro/12 string/slide summer back in 2016, when I dipped into the Guild waters with the D4-12, and the curious case of the pickguard fireball...

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I fell in love with the gray Dunlops .60mm, and white (ultra thin .38mm), and black (thick 1mm) a long time ago, back in 1980 when I suddenly started letting out my own inner Angus... I always held the gray Dunlop sideways by the grippy part, only the feather edge of the pic does most of the contact, 80's pinch harmonics come to mind.
+1 for the Dunlops, discovered those around '81 myself, but what I liked besides having a bit of grip was that they never "shattered" or broke while playing.
I actually like a little flex for fast strumming, and one can also "stiffen up the pick for solos by flexing it around the ball of the thumb a little so the axis of the curve goes through the tip if you get my drift.
Used 73's for a while, then went down to 60's and finally 46's when I was having to learn how to play the F65ce, stayed with that for years but have recently started using a 60 again foir certain stuff.
I also will use a kind of hybrid technique combining both picking and the 2-3-4 fingers, like for playing a true "chordateo simultaneous pluck instead of a strum.

Even though nowadays I just look at them and watch them gather dust, I'm probably the only one here who has a book about picks next to his pillow... Picks! The Colorful Saga of Vintage Celluloid Guitar Plectrums by Will Hoover. In this book you'll notice that lots of old picks had a thin slice of cork glued to one side, some times a tiny cork donut
I remember those! :glee:
In fact, you made me look and what's one of the first things to come up?
Glass:
il_794xN.569845815_q8at.jpg

il_794xN.614198110_2tz8.jpg

"Original Glass Guitar Pick with Built In Grip. Blue Multi with Green Stripe Detail"
ONLY 20 bucks.
Methinks that's a showcase queen not a player.....

:ambivalence:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1 for the Dunlops, discovered those around '81 myself, but what I liked besides having a bit of grip was that they never "shattered" or broke while playing.
I actually like a little flex for fast strumming, and one can also "stiffen up the pick for solos by flexing it around the ball of the thumb a little so the axis of the curve goes through the tip if you get my drift.
Used 73's for a while, then went down to 60's and finally 46's when I was having to learn how to play the F65ce, stayed with that for years but have recently started using a 60 again foir certain stuff.
I also will use a kind of hybrid technique combining both picking and the 2-3-4 fingers, like for playing a true "chordateo simultaneous pluck instead of a strum.

I find .46 too "floppy", but have used .6 before. Of course, the material the pick is made out of can make a .6 (or whatever) more of less "stiff". The Primetones I use are .73 but feel a bit stiffer than that. I used Dunlop Ultex .6 for a while, but they have a lot of string noise.

Your comment about using other fingers with a pick is actually called "hybrid picking" if I'm not mistaken. That's the only "finger picking" I will do, but even that technique not much. For the most part, I am lost without a pick.

walrus

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

I remember those! :glee:
In fact, you made me look and what's one of the first things to come up?
Glass:
il_794xN.569845815_q8at.jpg

il_794xN.614198110_2tz8.jpg

"Original Glass Guitar Pick with Built In Grip. Blue Multi with Green Stripe Detail"
ONLY 20 bucks.
Methinks that's a showcase queen not a player.....

:ambivalence:

Really gorgeous, tempted. But... Picks like that or Dread's 1/2 dollar scare the cr@p out of me, just to think of the damage they can do to the top.

The last two dreads I bought look like they were played by the same exuberant madman with a pick for five minutes and and never touched again, in both cases leaving extreme pick tracks across and beyond the pickguard on the guitar's top. I've found these somewhat impossible to remove, so be it. Possibly this happened at a music store where someone tried the guitar and became moved, as Guilds tend to do.

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Haha, my picks never get near the tops of my guitars!