Pilot - DeArmond Sound vs Guild

Reaction score
I just picked up a reasonable priced DeArmond (circa 2000)but had been looking primarily for the Guild (1987).
Wondering how much better sounding the Guild would be?
Anyone have experience playing both? Debating if I need to continue pursuing the real deal for the extra dollars.

Thanks,
JayT

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. No idea. Most folks with a stock DeArmond Starfire either swap the pickups or upgrade to a Guild Starfire. Maybe that applies?

I might suggest you live with the DeArmond for a while. Unless you need a particular brand on the headstock it makes more sense to have a list of areas where the sound could be improved than to keep searching for something that might be "better".

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not so sure about that. I think the DeArmond Starfire sounds great with it's stock (US made) pickups, and round wound strings. I've never tried mine with flats, but I like it a lot with a set of D'Addario rounds. Of course, it's a completely different beast than the Pilot, and I'm not sure exactly what you're asking in the OP. Are you looking for a comparison of the DA Starfire and a Pilot?

Oh, and welcome to LTG BTW!

Reaction score
Not so sure about that. I think the DeArmond Starfire sounds great with it's stock (US made) pickups, and round wound strings. I've never tried mine with flats, but I like it a lot with a set of D'Addario rounds. Of course, it's a completely different beast than the Pilot, and I'm not sure exactly what you're asking in the OP. Are you looking for a comparison of the DA Starfire and a Pilot?

Thanks,
Glad to find this community! Yeah I was asking specifically about the Pilot, not sure how Starfire entered the mix. In seeing a few more threads about DeArmond Pilot I ended up canceling the purchase in favor of putting the cost towards the Guild. One of favorite bass players- the late great Gary King, I heard playing what looks like a B-604 back in 1985, but I never knew what bass it was until recently. He played with Bob James and Tom Scott back then.
Andy Irvine on YouTube has a few videos with his upgraded preamp 5 string that sounds amazing. Looking forward to adding one of these babies to my collection.

JayT

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score

Yep, welcome Jay!
I get that he got a D'A Pilot to get a bird in the hand and is wondering if a US- built Pilot will sound significantly better.
I think both you and Frono are pointing him in the right direction, to live with it for a bit and define if there even are any shortcomings, and don't assume it's gonna be inferior just 'cause it's a D'A.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
if u are patient u can get a nice Guild Pilot bass cheap, they pop up often enough!

I would think a Dearmond Pilot bass to come around much less often than a Guild Pilot, also.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks,
Glad to find this community! Yeah I was asking specifically about the Pilot, not sure how Starfire entered the mix.

JayT

OK, I get it now. I had forgotten that there was a DeArmond Pilot!

if u are patient u can get a nice Guild Pilot bass cheap, they pop up often enough!

As mavuser pointed out, Pilot basses come up for sale often enough, and are criminally undervalued really. That's how I ended up with three of them! I might even be persuaded to part with one of mine.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
For those who remember the SAT, I was made the comment in case the following was true enough to be useful:

D'Armond Starfire:Guild Starfire::D'Armond Pilot:Guild Pilot

The only person I know who actually gigs with a D'Armond Starfire swapped the pickups so I am either guilty of misremembering the bass or extrapolating from a sample size that turned out to be one.

This Andy Irvine?

If so you might be amused by my Betts bass, which is a couple years older but was inspired by a Pilot.

img_20160411_154400284_hdr.jpg

img_20160411_154427222_hdr.jpg

Last edited: