Yellow Brick Road, Elton John's guitar player

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Working on a song, as usual, and as it matured into something, as it just finally came together I realized it's maybe straight out of Funeral for a friend/Love lies bleeding in my hand, and it just dawned on me how much influence this guy had on my playing, while never even knowing who he was because I haven't listened to that album since the 70's but it had a fairly profound effect on me back then, some of it to do with that a lot of girls loved that album, including first girlfriend/s...

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/...stone-on-their-history-and-final-tour-720041/

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
+1. Big Elton fan during the '70's, and always loved Davey Johnstones's playing!

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
That's a great album IMO. A lotta stuff from that era doesn't hold up well for me but that one's an exception.

From a bit earlier in his career, there's a clip on YouTube of Elton & band performing Rocket Man live shortly before the song's release. You can see 'em barely able to contain s**t-eating grins as they play it. They know they've got that mysterious & elusive it, they know the song is flat-out killer…and performance-wise they knock it outta the park. GYBR has that attitude & feel all the way through.

-Dave-

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
In that are, Elton was the King. The radio played his songs all day and night, and they were great songs, too.

walrus

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
EJ and band were a big influence on my guitar playing - I have all the early albums: "11-7-70," "Don't Shoot Me," "Madman," Tumbleweed Connection," Honky Chateau," "Yellow Brick Road." I also have the guitar books "Elton John Complete, Volumes 1,2, and 3.

Another one of his great guitar players early on was Caleb Quaye.

I think EJ's pinnacle song is "Funeral For A Friend / Love Lies Bleeding."

Grassdog

Reaction score
Elton and Bernie were a well oiled machine by this time, supremely confident and cranking out one after another great song. There's a great documentary somewhere on the making of GYBR with footage of the Elton and band at some mansion or castle in France. Just incredible how quickly they were writing, rehearsing, arranging, and finally recording these great songs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
There's a great documentary somewhere on the making of GYBR with footage of the Elton and band at some mansion or castle in France.

That was Château d'Hérouville, the "Honky Chateau":
"Many other artists recorded there, many of whom were British, beginning with Elton John, who recorded his albums Honky Château (the title inspired by the house), Don't Shoot Me I'm Only the Piano Player (both in 1972) and Goodbye Yellow Brick Road (1973) there. "
Speaking of Honky Chateau the album itself:
"It was released in 1972, and was titled after the 18th century French chateau where it was recorded, Château d'Hérouville."
And, coincidentally: "Johnstone had played acoustic guitar, mandolin and sitar on Madman Across the Water, but on Honky Chateau, he would be invited to join permanently as a full-band member and he extended his contributions to electric guitar, banjo, slide guitar and backing vocals.

Guildedagain

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I bought the CD on eBay yesterday, older pressing as per the original album. I'm almost afraid of the flood of memories when I listen to it, alone, but I want to check it out.

All the young girls love Alice
Tender young Alice, they say

dreadnut

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't have any of his albums after YBR.

I really liked Bernie's writing, especially his songs about the old American West, etc.

My two favorite EJ/BT songs to play and sing are "Love Song" with Leslie Duncan (and written by her too), and "Talking Old Soldiers," both very poignant songs.

For some reason, I derived a lot of comfort from "Love Song" after the tragic events of 9/11, it just seems to fit.

Grassdog

Reaction score
For some reason, I derived a lot of comfort from "Love Song" after the tragic events of 9/11, it just seems to fit.

Love Song's a really good one to perform acoustically Dread. I've played that one out occasionally, although most people don't know it so the audience response is kind of muted.

On the other hand, I recently did an acoustic cover of Country Comfort and that one went over really well.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's a really great interview. I was late to meet up with some friends because I couldn't leave without finishing it. Thanks for the link! :encouragement:

beecee

Reaction score
Nigel and Dee contributed some amazing background vocals as well.

One of the best things I've found on youtube was the long version of 11-17-70...I bought the album when it was new, could never figure out how the heck could 3 guys put out so much sound?

Last edited:

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've got the "Yellow Brick" CD in my car right now. So many diverse styles, so many great songs!

walrus

Kitarkus

Reaction score
I still listen to mad man across the water and tumbleweed connection in regular rotation. Some of his newer stuff makes me cringe a bit. Those two old albums are among the best I've ever heard.